R.I.P. Yvette Mimieux

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Yvette Mimieux

Post by Big Magilla »

Mimieux skydiving 1/8/2021 at 79:

https://youtu.be/zKC0pgRAsAM
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree with Tee on this one.

Mimieux's ill-fated romance with Richard Chamberlain in the two-episode 1964 storyline on Dr. Kildare was her most memorable performance in any medium.

Although her career lasted into the 1990s, nothing she did past that was particularly memorable. Her best screen role was as Olivia de Havilland's mentally challenged daughter in 1962's Light in the Pizza, leading some to think she was slow-witted in real life, but that was apparently far from the truth. She was married to Stanley Donen from 1972-1985 and real estate tycoon Howard Ruby from 1986 to her death. She was Ruby's business partner in several multi-national companies.

Virginia Mayo, Rhonda Fleming, and Arlene Dahl were stars of the late 1940s and early 1950s who always played strong women as opposed to Mimieux who almost always played weak or damaged women in a different era of filmmaking.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I disagee with Mister Tee's comments below. She may not have been a regular seat filler at the Oscars but she was quite popular throughout the 1960s and 1970s both on the big and small screen.

Not unlike the likes of Virginia Mayo, Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl a decade or so before Mimieux. Often decorative on screen but also capable of giving a good performance as well.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Time Machine was on TCM just the other day; I saw part of her scenes.

I think of her as a minor presence -- I remember her more from a two-part Dr. Kildare episode than from anything else -- but, looking over her credits, I've seen quite a few of her movies: Light in the Piazza, Where the Boys Are, The Brothers Grimm, Toys in the Attic. She was quite beautiful, but seemed to get cast in the weak/damaged range most of the time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Yvette Mimieux

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”