Golden Globe Nominations

For the films of 2021
Greg
Tenured

Re: Golden Globe Nominations

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:This is the kind of thing that makes me sick of the whole damn system; makes me nostalgically wish I were back in 1975, when there were 3 critics groups, NBR and the Globes (which no one took fully seriously), and the Oscars were often suspenseful fun. Before they started killing the golden goose.
All these precursors, at least the ones where nominees attend and schmooze, appear to be largely a part of the Oscar-campaign process. That is why they are all before the Oscars. If a lot of Hollywood develops the attitude that campaigning is not worth the trouble, will most of these precursors fall by the wayside? Even the Oscars themselves do not have much impact on the financial success of films or the careers of people who work in films. The only benefit would be the honor of being nominated/winning. How much honor is there when what you are recognized for is a campaign?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Two things, though. It was harder to find the winners of all of those awards in 1993 (or 1975), and they didn't all affect the Oscar race the way that they do now. Throughout the 90s, I was following the Oscars pretty religiously, and getting my hands on as much info as my teenage self could, and I hadn't heard of half those awards!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In 1975, there were the NBR, NYFCC, KCFCC, NSFC, and the LAFCA just started. There were also the Globes, DGA, WGA, MPSE, and ACE.

By 1993, the following had been added: BSFC, LFCC, CFCA, DFWFCA, and SEFCA among critics and then the Spirit Awards, ASC, PGA, USC Scripter, Annie Awards, CAS, and Gotham Awards. Sure, it's not the tally nowadays, but there were more than twice as many precursors in 1993 than in 1975.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Mister Tee wrote:
This is the kind of thing that makes me sick of the whole damn system; makes me nostalgically wish I were back in 1975, when there were 3 critics groups, NBR and the Globes (which no one took fully seriously), and the Oscars were often suspenseful fun. Before they started killing the golden goose.
This. And there’s no need to go back as far 1975. In 1993 you had the same precursors. And don’t forget DGA as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Derbyites will be waiting with rapt attention for the press releases and changing their predictions as they come in.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

They won't even be live-streamed. Supposedly, their Twitter account will update as they're announced in a private ceremony. So, it'll be like following the LA critics.

And may I say, there's a ridiculous Kabuki aspect to this. Everyone's claiming they're ignoring this -- to punish those backward HFPA members. But, I guarantee, everyone at Gold Derby and within the vast Oscar blogger complex will be changing their predictions instantaneously based on these things they're ignoring. To judge from how they dealt with the nominations, the news media will likely cover these winners about as much as usual (though they'll be denied those fashion-ready photos that usually augment coverage). We'll all pretend this is giving the Globes what-for -- forcing them to make unspecified "changes" that will apparently suddenly turn them into upright citizens, not the star-whores they've been for my entire lifetime. But they'll play their usual spoiling-the-fun role.

This is the kind of thing that makes me sick of the whole damn system; makes me nostalgically wish I were back in 1975, when there were 3 critics groups, NBR and the Globes (which no one took fully seriously), and the Oscars were often suspenseful fun. Before they started killing the golden goose.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/golden-glo ... 234905661/
Last edited by Mister Tee on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Accounts say publicists assembled at 6AM PST in roughly the same numbers as usual (sidebar question: why 6AM, when it wasn't televised on the Today Show? Habit? Pretending all is well?), but Twitter reaction from nominees has been pretty thin (Disney for Encanto, Zegler, and, god love her, Chastain). I don't think anyone knows how to react to these this year. Which might mean they influence less than is typical...but then, it might be (as Magilla suggests) they've never really influenced so much as reflected what's in the industry hive mind.

Oh, and evidently Snoop Dogg read out the nominees. Which...Paddy Chayefsky at his wildest couldn't have bettered it.

Certainly this set of nominees represents the rough thinking of pundits and bloggers. The films I cited last night as the core of the best picture race (Licorice/Dog/West Side/Belfast) all got best film nominations. The rest are there because, well, something has to be nominated. I wouldn't bet on Adam McKay's luck carrying over this time; these nods (along with the Broadcaster ones) have a whiff of "we didn't have time to revise our lists when we found out it stunk". NIghtmare Alley's absence could indeed be due to a lack of screening; there were rumors one late film failed to make itself available to HFPA. The CODA thing may be real, though I'll wait to see if Guilds (esp. PGA & SAG) follow suit.

What's interesting, given the reason the HFPA was put in awards-jail, is they didn't go out of their way to diversify their nominees -- apart from Mahershala Ali's acting nod, and maybe Maggie Gyllenhaal's directing citation (which could also be seen as star-fucking), there are no minorities or women on board who aren't part of the central conversation. (It's certainly not a patch on the way BAFTA bent over backwards last year.) I'm not exactly sure what the group is supposed to do to get back in the studios' good graces, but there are no particular signs they're trying.

The acting categories are mostly in accord with What Everyone's Saying -- though some borderline candidates (Penelope Cruz, Jennifer Hudson) were probably hurt by being omitted... Cooper Hoffman is clearly advantaged by being in the less-competitive comedy field, and he's certainly less likely to carry over to AMPAS than his co-star -- but maybe we ought not to dismiss him entirely; it's a major/half-film-carrying role in what looks a prime best picture possibility, and this mention is the first sign someone notices that... Jessica Chastain continues to show up everywhere, and maybe ought to be elevated to more-likely-than-not for AMPAS recognition... They nominated the exact five women I mentioned last night as forming the expected supporting actress slate; sure hope Ruth Negga holds on (she was omitted by the Broadcasters)... I'm not sure whether to take this Troy Kotsur thing as gospel -- though, of course, I haven't seen the film. Beyond Smit-McPhee and Hinds, I think the supporting actor category may be the most fungible this year.

It would have been news had Spielberg NOT been nominated for directing -- this was his 13th citation from the group. Which is to say, it may not be indicative of either a win or an AMPAS follow-up.

As others have said, the PTA omission from directing barely registers, because they've NEVER nominated him in the category. His getting 4 nominations, including film/screenplay, is overwhelmingly his best showing with the Globes.

The HFPA continue to be Sorkin sluts, no matter the movie.

There actually were a few shocking omissions, but you had to go way down the list: The Worst Person in the World missing from International Film, and The Mitchells vs. the Machines (which continues its rampage through the podunk critics) left off the animated list in favor of My Sunny Maad?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote: Yeah, so this group largely exists as a tastemaker. They don't vote in the Academy. They just push influence.
To an extent, but they also reflect what it is already in Oscar voters' minds, so, yes, all ten of their nominees could predict Oscar's but so could the Broadcast Critics' which substitutes Nightmare Alley for Cyrano. On the other hand, Oscar could include both and ignore one of the films that both groups have nominated, say, either CODA or Don't Look Up.

The two groups probably, though, have sounded the death knell for Being the Ricardos, House of Gucci, and The Tragedy of Macbeth in the Best Picture race.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

One last stat because I just can't help myself... Since the Academy expanded out to ten (or so) films back in 2009, the following Drama nominees were left off the final list:
2019: The Two Popes
2018: If Beale Street Could Talk
2015: Carol
2014: Foxcatcher
2013: Rush
2011: The Ides of March (weirdly, they nominated six titles)

That's it. And had a mandatory roster of ten films been implemented for each lineup, it's very possible that considering their healthy nomination totals over that The Two Popes (3), If Beale Street Could Talk (3), Carol (6), and Foxcatcher (5) would have been nominated as well. All of which to say, it's very likely that all of the Best Drama films will be up for Best Picture.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, so this group largely exists as a tastemaker. They don't vote in the Academy. They just push influence. And certainly their influence seems waning after last year, but:

BIG WINNERS:
- CODA: this isn't the most competitive year but this little film (which I don't care for) getting a Best Drama nomination is a big deal. I would've thought that a SAG ensemble nomination might be its best way into the race. In a season of falling stars, CODA is on strong ground, as is Troy Kotsur, who is a total unknown not hearing actor with fewer than twenty TV/Film credits. In a category that is very much in flux (Best Supporting Actor), that's major.
- THE POWER OF THE DOG & BELFAST: with seven nominations, they got the most nominations of any film since THE SHAPE OF WATER.
- LICORICE PIZZA: the HFPA doesn't really like PTA. His only previous nomination is Best Drama Film (There Will Be Blood). Licorice Pizza is his best showing to date.
- DON'T LOOK UP: an intriguing split between critical consensus and audience reaction is only bolstered by this film's four nominations. This is the third consecutive Adam McKay film to pick up nominations for Comedy Musical Picture and Screenplay. Only Vice got him a director nom. ​
- Aaron Sorkin: this is his ninth writing nomination from this group. Only one of his credited features failed a writing nomination: Malice. This is probably an unparalleled record.

BIG LOSERS:
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY: seven nominations for The Shape of Water. Zero for his followup. Maybe they didn't see it in time?
- HOUSE OF GUCCI: you'd think if any group was going to go for this film, it would be the HFPA. Now, all involved (save for Lady Gaga) have to cross their fingers and hope that SAG is dazzled by the stars.

SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN:
- WEST SIDE STORY: has there been a bigger dip in enthusiasm this year than West Side Story going into this weekend and coming out of it? This film needed good news. And... it sort of got it? As the only Comedy Musical Film to get a corresponding director nomination, it has to be considered the frontrunner to win but I don't think anyone can consider tying with LICORICE PIZZA and DON'T LOOK UP a shining victory.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Biggest surprises are the total omissions of The Tragedy of Macbeth and Nightmare Alley. Macbeth looks like the usual prestige film that gets shut out at the Globes.
Not a total shut out. Denzel got a nod
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Pretty straightforward set of nominees.

Biggest surprises are the total omissions of The Tragedy of Macbeth and Nightmare Alley. Macbeth looks like the usual prestige film that gets shut out at the Globes.

Paul Thomas Anderson not being nominated is no surprise from this group given that he was only nominated once, and that was for producing There Will Be Blood.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Golden Globe Nominations

Post by anonymous1980 »

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Belfast
CODA
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Cyrano