Will 2021 Be a Repeat of 1963 at the Oscars?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Will 2021 Be a Repeat of 1963 at the Oscars?

Post by Big Magilla »

Chastain or Gaga are likely to be the fifth.

I have my doubts about the Coen Brothers' Macbeth. The Scottish play has never been popular with the Academy even though previous versions including Polansk's 1971 version with Jon Finch and Francesca Annis and the 2015 version with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cottilard have done well elsewhere.

Denzel, like Meryl, can afford to sit out a year without an Oscar nod and McDormand is in danger of becoming the Walter Brennan of the 2010s, being nominated for a fourth Oscar she can't win the year after winning her third.
mlrg
Associate

Re: Will 2021 Be a Repeat of 1963 at the Oscars?

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:
Time, of course, will tell, but for now, this is shaping up as one of the most interesting races for acting awards in all categories than we have seen in some time.
And you still did not mention Chastain, McDormand and Denzel, the Adam McKay film, the new Paul Thomas Anderson, etc…

I think we are facing a truly overcrowded awards race.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Will 2021 Be a Repeat of 1963 at the Oscars?

Post by Big Magilla »

Often as we enter into Oscar season, trends remind me of a previous Oscar year. Sometimes these trends hold throughout Oscar season. Other times, they fizzle completely.

I began to see a comparison to 1963 when I first thought that The Power of the Dog had the power of previous 20th Century set adult western, Hud, with its four Oscar caliber performances by Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, and Brandon de Wilde, three of which were nominated, two of which won, to hold steady.

With the reviews out of Venice confirming not only the power of The Power of the Dog, but such others as King Richard, Cyrano, and The Lost Daughter, I began to see other comparisons to 1963.

1963 was a year of national catastrophe in the U.S. with the assassination of President Kennedy in November. This year, we've already seen multiple national catastrophes from the insurrection at the capitol on 1/6 through the asinine reluctance of a quarter of the population to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to the shocking but inevitable stance of the Supreme Court to do anything about draconian state laws to the devastation of fires and hurricanes due to rapidly increasing global warming.

At the 1963 Oscars, Best Actor was a race between Paul Newman playing a heel in Hud, Albert Finney playing an unconventional hero in Tom Jones, and Sidney Poitier playing an African-American protagonist in Lilies of the Field. This year we have Benedict Cumberbatch in The Power of the Dog, Peter Dinklage in Cyrano, and Will Smith in King Richard in similar positions.

The other two Best Actor nominees in 1963 were Richard Harris in the downbeat This Sporting Life and Rex Harrison in the blockbuster Cleopatra. This year, we have Oscar Isaac in Card Counter and Bradley Cooper in Nightmare Alley in those positions.

On the distaff side, 1963 gave us a lot of uncertainty with Leslie Caron in The L-Shaped Room and Natalie Wood in Love with the Proper Stranger the only real competition to elevated supporting player Patricia Neal in Hud for the Best Actress award. The other nominees were Shirley MacLaine in the disappointing Irma La Douce and Rachel Roberts in another elevated supporting role This Sporting Life.

This year, we have another year of uncertainty with former winners Olivia Colman in the Lost Daughter, Penelope Cruz in Parallel Mothers, and Jennifer Hudson in Respect up against possible first time nominee Kristen Stewart in Spencer and who knows who in the fifth slot. Colman, who like Neal, is an actress who seemingly goes easily from lead to supporting roles and back, could indeed be looking at a second win in such uncertainty.

The supporting awards have not yet taken shape, but it is possible that we could see two films with two supporting actor nominees in Kodi Smit-McPhee and Jesse Plemons in The Power of the Dog and Reed Birney and Jason Isaacs in Mass just as we could have seen the same thing in 1963 with Melvyn Douglas and Brandon de Wilde in Hud and John Huston and Burgess Meredith in The Cardinal. That didn't happen, though, as de Wilde and Meredith were shut out in the nominations.

We could also see three nominees for Best Supporting Actress from the same film for the first time since 1963 when surprise nominees Diane Cilento and Joyce Redman joined the expected Dame Edith Evans in the running for Tom Jones. This year we have Cate Blanchett, Toni Colette, and Rooney Mara all being mentioned for Nightmare Alley. More likely, though, is a double nomination for Mass with both Ann Dowd and Martha Plimpton in place of Blanchett and Mara.

Time, of course, will tell, but for now, this is shaping up as one of the most interesting races for acting awards in all categories than we have seen in some time.

Return to “2021”