R.I.P. Ed Asner

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Ed Asner

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Greg wrote
Betty White won the tontine for both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
And Life with Elizabeth... and Date with Angels... Mama's Family's still got a few people going.
At this point, I wouldn't bet against her winning for Hot in Cleveland.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
Betty White won the tontine for both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
And Life with Elizabeth... and Date with Angels... Mama's Family's still got a few people going.
"How's the despair?"
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

danfrank wrote: The Mary Tyler Moore show is my all-time favorite television series, mostly because it provided such comfort during my challenging teen years.
Agree, though I wasn't quite a teen during most of the show's run.

Ironically, Ed Asner was supposed to make an appearance here in my hometown in September. Billboards all over town promoting it.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:A lot of people would have lost money betting on the winner of The Mary Tyler Moore Show cast tontine.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I heard about the news not long before I watched the seventh season of Grace and Frankie where he makes another guest appearance.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What a coincidence! Ed Asner supported Richard Gage and Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth. He was a 9/11 truther.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Ed Asner was the great uncle of a friend off mine. She said he was a bit of a curmudgeon, much like many of his characters. Quite the gifted curmudgeon he was. The Mary Tyler Moore show is my all-time favorite television series, mostly because it provided such comfort during my challenging teen years. Besides Mary herself, Asner’s Lou Grant was the anchor for that show, the character who brought out Mary’s strongest emotions. Asner was just about perfect in that part. His transition from Lou Grant in a sitcom to Lou Grant in a drama series was quite impressive. He deserved all those Emmy awards.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:I was intrigued by Asner's Emmy history. He won five Emmys for playing Lou Grant across two series (as well as two others). Is this a record?
Yes a record amongst male actors.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A lot of people would have lost money betting on the winner of The Mary Tyler Moore Show cast tontine.

IMDB shows Asner as having over 400 credits -- though a number of them are listed as Pre-production, so will never happen. The remarkable part of that is still having so many projects lined up, at age 91.

He was basically a semi-anonymous actor from the late 50s until he got the Lou Grant role. From then on -- for 50 years -- he was famous, and worked tirelessly. He also took political stances that risked his status; he probably lost jobs for being so vociferously pro-union, and so opposed to Reagan's contra support in NIcaragua.

He leaves an enormous amount behind. Godspeed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was intrigued by Asner's Emmy history. He won five Emmys for playing Lou Grant across two series (as well as two others). Is this a record?

Ed Asner is tied with Michael J. Fox for the most Emmy nominations for a male actor. He had seventeen nominations as well as seven Emmys overall. As for other male actors playing the same character, Kelsey Grammer, Peter Falk, and John Laroquette have four while Don Knotts ties him with five. Ironically, Knotts' five wins are his only nominations. And they are only for The Andy Griffith Show.

On the female side:
* Candice Bergen has five Emmy wins for playing Murphy Brown. Had she not withdrawn herself from competition, that record might have been broken.
* Betty White has five Emmys wins spread about but has twenty-one nominations.
* Cloris Leachman had eight Emmys spread out across twenty-two nominations.
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus has six wins for paying Selina Meyers on Veep, which is the current record-holder it seems for playing one character. She has eight Emmy wins total and nineteen nominations. It's unclear if she will beat her current record Emmy wins for playing one character but it seems very likely that she will soon obtain the record of most Emmy nominations for a performer.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Ed Asner

Post by Sabin »

He's someone who I assumed was basically 91 for the bulk of my life. Shocking that he outlived almost everyone from The Mary Tyler Moore Show (only Betty White remains).

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ad-asner-d ... 234823859/

Ed Asner Dies: TV Icon Who Played Lou Grant Was 91

Ed Asner, legendary actor, activist and philanthropist, passed away peacefully Sunday morning, surrounded by family. He was 91.

Asner, former president of the Screen Actors Guild, is best known for his role as Lou Grant on both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spinoff Lou Grant, pulling off the extremely rare feet of playing the same character in both a comedy and a drama series.

He is the most awarded male performer in Emmy history with seven wins — five of them for playing Lou Grant. He also received the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award in 2001.

Asner’s long list of credits also include the movies Elf, one of several movies in which he played Santa Claus, and Pixar’s Oscar-winning Up, in which he voiced the lead, Carl Fredricksen. He was most recently seen guest starring on the Emmy-nominated comedy series Cobra Kai, playing Johnny Lawrence’s step-father, Sid Weinberg.

Born on Nov. 15, 1929 in Kansas City, Asner started his acting career in theater and helped found the Playwrights Theatre Company in Chicago, a predecessor of The Second City. He landed his first Broadway role in the 1960 production of Face of a Hero alongside Jack Lemmon. Asner made his TV debut in 1957 on anthology Studio One.

A string of guest-starring roles led to his casting as Lou Grant in the acclaimed 1970 half-hour comedy series The Mary Tyler Moore Show. After the series ended In 1977, Asner’s character was given his own spinoff series, hourlong drama Lou Grant (1977–82). Additionally, Asner made appearances as Lou Grant on two other shows, Rhoda and Roseanne.

Asner also was a series regular on Thunder Alley, The Bronx Zoo and Aaron Sorkin’s Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. He also delivered acclaimed performances on two hugely popular miniseries, Roots and Rich Man, Poor Man, which both earned him Emmy Awards.

In addition to Up, Asner’s extensive voiceover resume includes providing the voices for Joshua on Joshua and the Battle of Jericho (1986) for Hanna-Barbera, J. Jonah Jameson on the Spider-Man series (1994–98); Hoggish Greedly on Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990–95); Roland Daggett on Batman: The Animated Series (1992–94); Ed Wuncler on The Boondocks (2005–14); and Granny Goodness in various DC Comics animated series.

Beginning in 2016, Asner took on the role of Holocaust survivor Milton Saltzman in Jeff Cohen’s play The Soap Myth in a reading at Lincoln Center’s Bruno Walter Theatre in New York. For the next three years, he did the play in cities across the United States, until the tour was thwarted by the coronavirus pandemic.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”