No votes
33%
No votes

Total votes: 6

Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Best Oscar Year (2nd Decade)

Post by Heksagon »

Another easy choice with 1939, although 1946 has a lot of strong films also.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I went with the obvious. 1939.

There are so many gems even in the lower tiers of the Oscar categories - The Rains Came, Only Angels Have Wings, The Pvt Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Union Pacific, Beau Geste, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, When Tomorrow Comes, Golden Boy, Nurse Edith Cavell, The Man in the Iron Mask, Second Fiddle, First Love, Intermezzo, Bachelor Mother, Young Mr Lincoln, Juarez, Drums Along the Mohawk.

And then there are the top tier ones - GWTW, Wuthering Heights, Love Affair, The Wizard of Oz, Mr Smith....., Mr Chips, Ninotchka, Stagecoach, Dark Victory, Of Mice and Men.

And the ones that did not get recognition from the Academy - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Cat and the Canary, Destry Rides Again, The Four Feathers, Gunga Din, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Idiot's Delight, In Name Only, It's a Wonderful World, Jesse James, Le Jour se lève, Midnight, The Old Maid, On Borrowed Time, La règle du jeu, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, The Spy in Black, They Made Me a Criminal, The Women.

So many good films in one year.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I had a hard time choosing here. I finally narrowed it down to 1942, 1943, and 1946. I thought that 1942 and 1943 had a slight edge on depth, but 1946 had such nice films at the top with The Best Years of Our Lives (one of my all time favorites), It's a Wonderful Life, Children of Paradise, Open City, To Each His Own, The Spiral Staircase, and others, that I went with that year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1946 - the year of The Best Years of Our Lives, It's a Wonderful Life, and the under-nominated but still recognized Notoious and Open City.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Oscar Year (2nd Decade)

Post by OscarGuy »

Based on the totality of nominations, which Oscar year within this decade is best?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”