R.I.P. Luminita Gheorghiu

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

R.I.P. Luminita Gheorghiu

Post by dws1982 »

Romanian actress, not very well-known in the US, because she never had that major American breakthrough (and never made any American films), but anyone very familiar with the Romanian New Wave of the past two decades will have probably seen her in several films. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu is probably the role she was most known for internationally, where she won the LA Film Critics award during the early stages of them wanting to honor a subtitle performance nearly every year.

I'm hoping its a translation issue that the last words of the first sentence are "after a long suffering", instead of "after a long illness". (I'm guessing it is; I know Beyond the Hills is translated as After the Hills in the article.)
Actress Luminiţa Gheorghiu, known for her roles in films such as “Moromeţii”, “The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu” or “The Child’s Pose”, died at the age of 71, after a long suffering.

Luminiţa Gheorghiu was born on September 1, 1949. She graduated from the Institute of Theater and Cinematography in 1972, in the class of Professor Ion Cojar.

She made her theatre debut in 1971, on the stage of the Casandra Studio, and after graduation she was assigned to the “Mihai Eminescu” Theater in Botoşani. In 1975 he played in the troupe of the Youth Theater from Piatra Neamţ, and from 1976 to 2003 he played on the “Bulandra” stage.

The actress started her film career more than three decades ago, and the first important role in the film was Catrina from “Moromeţii” (1987), directed by Stere Gulea.

Two decades later, she was awarded internationally for her performance in “The Death of Mr. Lazarescu” (d. Cristi Puiu, 2005). The role of the nurse earned her the 2007 Best Supporting Actress Award at the Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards Gala.

Luminiţa Gheorghiu also starred in “Autora”, “After the Hills” and “I am a communist grandmother”, a screening of the novel of the same name written by Dan Lungu and directed by Stere Gulea.

The actress was also part of the cast of films such as “The Child’s Pose” and “Aferim!”, And in 2014 she was awarded by the Romanian Academy for her role in the film “Cuscrii/The In-Laws”.

Return to “The People”