Post by Big Magilla »

Yes.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Overall Globes Takes

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The other thing that drives me nuts about bloggers is the way they reference British stars with two surnames. It's Baron Cohen, Bonham Carter, and Scott Thomas, not Cohen, Carter, and Thomas for Sacha, Helena, and Kristin.
Wouldn't this formula apply if there was a hyphen between the last two surnames?

As in Kristin Scott-Thomas or Helena Bonham-Carter.
Yes, but the hyphen isn't necessary. Daniel Day Lewis added the hyphen only because he was tired of American journalists referring to him as Mr. Lewis.
Ok. So when listing names alphabetically, Helena Bonham Carter would be listed under B?
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

dws1982 wrote:Jodie Foster for The Mauritanian was the only winner for a film that isn't currently on streaming/PPV. (Minari was the only one that's currently PPV only, although Judas and the Black Messiah will be leaving HBO Max in a couple of weeks.)
The Mauritanian can be rented in the U.S. as of today.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The other thing that drives me nuts about bloggers is the way they reference British stars with two surnames. It's Baron Cohen, Bonham Carter, and Scott Thomas, not Cohen, Carter, and Thomas for Sacha, Helena, and Kristin.
Wouldn't this formula apply if there was a hyphen between the last two surnames?

Yes, but the hyphen isn't necessary. Daniel Day Lewis added the hyphen only because he was tired of American journalists referring to him as Mr. Lewis.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Shouldn't it be Close vs. Foster now?
And if Ellen Burstyn joins the mix? I think the Academy could very well give her a second Oscar.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Saw Minari yesterday. It’s a nice little film. It’s well liked but it does not have the same track record of Parasite critics wise nor the same word of mouth.
And it's boring as hell :P
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:It will be interesting to see what SAG does with that one where Colman, Corrin and Gillian Anderson are all nominated in the same category.
I think Gillian Anderson will win this.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: Of course they don't pair winners together, but Hopkins is the whole show here. Colman is riding on his coattails. She's Fay Bainter to Bette Davis in Jezebel. Bainter would not have won for that without Davis winning. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's the one that comes quickest to mind.
I really don't think you've thought this through, because there are SO MANY cases that prove the opposite -- that a performer can win in a supporting category, while their dominant, also-nominated lead loses. Just in the past quarter-century:

1998 - James Coburn wins, while NYFC winner Nolte loses
2000 - Marcia Gay Harden wins, while Ed Harris loses
2001 - Jim Broadbent wins while Judi Dench loses; Jennifer Connelly wins while Russell Crowe loses
2004 - Cate Blanchett wins while DiCaprio loses
2011 - Octavia Spencer wins while SAG winner Davis loses
2013 - Lupita Nyong'o wins while Ejiofor loses
2016 - Viola Davis wins while Denzel loses
2019 - Laura Dern wins while the two leads of her film lose

The reason why we had all these outcomes is obvious: competition in the supporting categories was less pitched than in the corresponding lead categories. But how is that not the case this year? Hopkins is not going to win not for any flaws in his performance, but because Chadwick Boseman died and voters will find it irresistible to honor him for this final achievement. That will have no effect on Colman's status; she still has a chance, because there's little enthusiasm for anyone contending for the supporting actress trophy. I'm not saying Colman is going to win. But ruling her out on the basis of Hopkins not winning isn't a persuasive argument.
These were all first-time winners. I think only Davis among the lead losers had much of a chance of winning in those years. I wouldn't consider any of them coat-tail performances except maybe Connelly's but she was really more of a co-lead. The others were all strong performances that again except for Davis, could have won on their own without the leads in their films being nominated

Amanda Seyfried would be a better fit in this scenario than recent winner Colman and if she had a SAG nomination I would be inclined to agree, but without it I'm not feeling it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:Jodie Foster for The Mauritanian was the only winner for a film that isn't currently on streaming/PPV. (Minari was the only one that's currently PPV only, although Judas and the Black Messiah will be leaving HBO Max in a couple of weeks.)

I guess you've got to hand it to Sony Classics, every studio this year has changed how they release films, and they still put The Father and French Exit in "select cities" (what cities large enough to serve as a market for limited release movies currently have theaters open?) on the last weekend of Oscar eligibility. They need a new head of distribution. So many movies that could be something become nothing because of them.
I don't know what's going on with French Exit, but both The Father and The Mauritanin (from Universal) are due to be released on Blu-ray and DVD after the Oscar nominations but before the Oscars.

Promising Young Woman is out on digital now and will be on Blu-ray and DVD on 3/16. New of the World follows in 3/23. I expect Warner Bros. will release Judas and the Black Messiah to home video sometime after it departs HBO Max.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
No, it's the sentimental favorite vs. the most critically rewarded performance of the year in her category. It wouldn't be one sentimental favorite vs. another, that rarely occurs.
"That rarely occurs?"

Whereas a win for Yuh-Jung Youn is a precedent that happens all the time?
At least you got her name right this time. 8)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Jodie Foster for The Mauritanian was the only winner for a film that isn't currently on streaming/PPV. (Minari was the only one that's currently PPV only, although Judas and the Black Messiah will be leaving HBO Max in a couple of weeks.)

I guess you've got to hand it to Sony Classics, every studio this year has changed how they release films, and they still put The Father and French Exit in "select cities" (what cities large enough to serve as a market for limited release movies currently have theaters open?) on the last weekend of Oscar eligibility. They need a new head of distribution. So many movies that could be something become nothing because of them.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
No, it's the sentimental favorite vs. the most critically rewarded performance of the year in her category. It wouldn't be one sentimental favorite vs. another, that rarely occurs.
"That rarely occurs?"

Whereas a win for Yuh-Jung Youn is a precedent that happens all the time?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Credits order notwithstanding, She is a Korean actress and as is tradition in Korea, the last name goes first. That's just a courtesy. It's like when Zhang Ziyi started rolling around as a potential nominee, I was annoyed that people called her Ziyi Zhang. She had not Anglicized her name order at that point, so it would have been discourteous to refer to her in the opposite. Zhang Yimou is another case in point.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
Another thing Oscar doesn't do as a rule is repeat itself. The Close-Colman thing was two years ago. That ship has sailed. It's Close vs. Youn now.
Come on, you don't know that. Shouldn't it be Close vs. Foster now?
No, it's the sentimental favorite vs. the most critically rewarded performance of the year in her category. It wouldn't be one sentimental favortie vs. another, that rarely occurs.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”