Campaign 2020

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Campaign 2020

Post by Precious Doll »

Interesting survey. I got Yang 12, Warren 11, Buttigieg 10, Bloomberg, Klobuchar & Steyer all 9.

My partner got Bloomberg 16, Biden 15, Steyer 14, Klobuchar 13, Bittugueg 11 and Yang on 10.

We both had Sanders last.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm always curious about doing these political "who agreed with you" tests even if I don't take them very seriously and even when it's not an election that directly concerns me. My top were Bloomberg at 11 followed by Biden and Klobuchar at 10.

I feel a lot of the questions to be unimportant or more complex than what can be answered with the multiple-choice answers that the quiz offers. If I removed those, it left eight questions, and Biden, Bloomberg, Klobuchar, Steyer and Yang all agreed with me on five.

But even of those questions many were such that the candidate's ability to influence those would be minor even if elected. IMHO, the two most important questions there - especially from an international point of view, and considering the president's ability to influence them - are whether they would commit to reducing national debt and joining TPP and only Biden and Bloomberg would agree with me that those both should be done.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I got Warren at 16, Sanders and Steyer at 14, Gabbard at 11, Buttigieg and Klobuchar at 10, and Biden and Bloomberg at 8.

So... I like these guys.
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I got Klobuchar and Steyer at 14, followed by Buttigieg at 13, Blumberg at 12, Biden at 11, Warren and Yang at 10 and Sanders and Gabbard at 6.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... s-with-me/

Which Democratic Candidate do you agree with the most? In a surprise, my top two were Warren and Steyer (15/20). Warren ekes out ahead if I remove the two questions I really felt unqualified to answer.

Biden was in last.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
So much going on in politics today that this news hardly makes a blip.

My theory is that people are sick of all the noise with Trump in our faces all day every day.

They (we?) want someone who will just get the job done which is something that both Biden and Mayor Pete project. Harris was there until she made a spectacle of herself going after Biden on school busing in the 70s, something no one else cares about.

Bernie and Warren still have their supporters, but neither one seems to be picking up anyone new.

Harris and Booker are strong possible VP candidates.
I'm pretty much tuning out impeachment talk. Wake me up when 20 Republican senators turn on him.

But I don't know if I agree with you that nobody cares about Joe Biden's history with race relations. I'm certainly bothered by it -- or rather, I'm bothered by the fact that he refuses to admit that he ever did anything wrong. No matter what he's does in the past, he never says "Yeah, I screwed up." We already have a President like that. I'm planning on being on this planet for a long time. There are a lot of problems in this country. I want a President who at least acknowledges them and wants to combat them for change. For all her flaws, Kamala Harris did that and the response I hear from a lot of people is "I'd like it quieter than it is right now." Well, I personally don't.

I never thought we'd counter a right-wing MAGA campaign with a left-leaning MAGA campaign for the sake of how it makes us feel.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So much going on in politics today that this news hardly makes a blip.

My theory is that people are sick of all the noise with Trump in our faces all day every day.

They (we?) want someone who will just get the job done which is something that both Biden and Mayor Pete project. Harris was there until she made a spectacle of herself going after Biden on school busing in the 70s, something no one else cares about.

Bernie and Warren still have their supporters, but neither one seems to be picking up anyone new.

Harris and Booker are strong possible VP candidates.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Kamala Harris drops out of the race.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... ace-074902

Everyone is writing their own moratoriums on Sen. Harris' campaign and why it did not succeed. My reasoning is simple. During a primary, the race reveals itself. This race is clearly "Moderates vs. Progressives." One group (Biden, Buttigieg) wants a Post-Trump nation to look like a Pre-Trump nation, the other (Sanders, Warren) wants a Post-Trump nation to change and look fundamentally different. Kamala Harris ran as a Prosecutor, prosecuting Trump, prosecuting misogyny, prosecuting racism. And she wasn't alone. Kristen Gillibrand did this. Cory Booker and Julian Castro are still doing it. And it turns out there wasn't really room for a third lane. The "Prosecution Lane" got shouldered out of the race. There are A LOT of reasons why, but her lane completely disappeared live on TV before our eyes, and once your lane is gone, that's it.

A good President does two things. They move the country forward and they make government work. This sounds simple but it's a herculean task. Regardless of one's political ideology, history shines a light on those who rise to this occasion. There are things about Kamala Harris that I do not like but she's consistently been one of the only candidates running who were MAYBE up to this task. She's been one of the few people running who I would want to be my President.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It turns out "Corn Pop" was the best part of Story Time with Joe Biden that day.

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/so-strange-b ... ing-my-lap

I've actually recently watched a few clips of Joe Biden from the 1980's and 1990's and the man has never really had the sturdiest train of thought. Which is okay. Some people aren't the best at speaking off-the-cuff in front of huge crowds of people. Joe Biden has always started his sentences strong and then halfway through he hits a bump or two and it sort of goes wherever. That doesn't really matter. But this is different. This is very concerning. What the hell is he even talking about? If Donald Trump got out there and gave this exact story, we'd all be saying "25th Amendment."
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The left smells a rat in Bloomberg, Patrick bids:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/1 ... 020-071322
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

A campaign ad by Elizabeth Warren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0a_ZhYjac

An inadvertent ad for Elizabeth Warren:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/14/lloyd-b ... r-dna.html
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sanders, campaigning with AOC, says potential Bloomberg bid shows 'the arrogance of billionaires':

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sanders ... d=66881233
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just an observation...

I've been on this board now since '98 or '99. Certainly, my interest in politics has increased significantly over the years. I'm not sure there WAS a current events thread during the 2000 election. But I remember the 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 primaries and elections.

It says something about the state of the Democratic primary that it's entirely possible all of us will be supporting different candidates. Not only that but we are discussing things like insurance plans with something between passion and anger when we know goddamn well these are just goal posts. I say this not just about this message board but everywhere I go.

The Left has never been so angry and it's never had so many good candidates in one election. This is not 2004 when we had John Kerry, John Edwards, and Howard Dean.

Awareness and engagement is a double-edged sword.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
To be fair to Warren, she did eventually come out with the actual tax plan for funding M4A. The problem is that we're very early in the process. You know who STILL hasn't, in 4 years, found a way to explain how he would pay for any of his proposals? Bernie Sanders. I don't hear us taking him to task so forcefully for the same thing. From the beginning, Warren's plans were always more concrete and credible then Sanders even if they weren't nitty-gritty detailed? No politician offers up concrete plans at this point. It takes time for people to show their math. That Warren took a couple of months to show hers is at least commendable since it's a challenging issue and not a single one of her male competitors has done the same thing. Not Biden (who really doesn't have much of a platform it seems). Not Sanders (who has all sorts of stuff, but no plans). Not Buttegieg.
Not Barack Obama either. And it worked out for him.

Yes, she took time away to come up with a plan. And I agree. It's quite admirable. A lot of bad decisions are admirable as well. Especially political decisions. Instead of being forthright about not having a plan yet, she just ducked the question to the point where *THAT* became the story. But yes, she found a plan that she's now tied to. Literally, the only needle you need to pop Warren's balloon is this:

"So, what happens if you can't pass your proposal? Will taxes go up?"
"... I will pass this plan because [POP]."

It's a corner she didn't need to choose to put herself in. She's great. She should know this.

Say whatever you want about Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, and Pete Buttigieg, but they're handling this awful "Insurance Primary" objectively better because the only thing that matters is that voters think understand what the candidate stands for. And Warren has certainly lost some credibility.

The big picture is this: the candidate who appeals to voters emotions usually wins. The one who makes an appeal for competency loses. Trump, Obama, Bush 2, Clinton, Reagan... Michael Dukakis might have been the only Democrat to make George Bush look charismatic. I'm concerned Warren might be another "Massachusetts Liberal."
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

She doesn't need to show ANY math. She just needs to make explicit the difference between "taxes" and "expenses" whenever she's asked the "Will you raise taxes" question. That only takes 5% more effort, which is actually less effort than ducking the question altogether.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”