List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film

For the films of 2019
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film

Post by Precious Doll »

I suspect the committee was responsible for the inclusion of Atlantics, Beanpole & The Painted Bird so I'd only expect one of these to make the final five.

My predictions:

Parasite (lock for nomination and win)
Pain & Glory (will be a major shock if it misses a nomination)
Atlantics
Those Who Remained
Corpus Christi

There is usually something widely regarded for a nomination that misses out and this year I think that will be Les Miserables.

As usual there are a number of films that were widely tipped to make the final top and didn't most notably this year The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao, Monos & Tel Aviv on Fire. I was somewhat surprised at the number of people predicting Monos which is a good film but hardly the type of film this voting body warm to and I thought there were more high profile films that the committee would select. That my partner hated Monos and the audience response was very muted indicated that it wasn't going anywhere. Queen of Hearts omission was expected but its inclusion would have made a most welcome surprise for me.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film

Post by Precious Doll »

The shortlisted 10:

Czech Republic, “The Painted Bird”
Estonia, “Truth and Justice”
France, “Les Misérables”
Hungary, “Those Who Remained”
North Macedonia, “Honeyland”
Poland, “Corpus Christi”
Russia, “Beanpole”
Senegal, “Atlantics”
South Korea, “Parasite”
Spain, “Pain and Glory”
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I had hoped to see Pain & Glory before the finalist announcements but, alas, that's not going to happen. EDIT: I spoke too soon.

Pain & Glory, Spain (Pedro Almodovar) 9/10 - An aging film director gets addicted to heroin and goes through a series of health scares whilst reminiscing about his life including his childhood, his past loves and former colleagues. Just to get this out of the way, this is far from my favorite Pedro Almodovar film. But that's only because his top-tier films are just so freakin' great. This is a perfectly excellent and very lovely and obviously very personal film featuring Antonio Banderas in one of his career-best performances (Julietta Serrano, as the older version of the mother character is my favorite supporting performance here). This film is nearly two hours long yet it feels so much shorter since I found myself simply enraptured by most everything on the screen and the final shot puts it over the top.

Can it get in? Yes. But it will probably not challenge Parasite for the win though.

So here are my rankings for all 17 films from this year's entries I've seen, which I believe is a record for me, even with two of them disqualified, 15 films is still a record.

In order of preference:
01. Parasite, South Korea - 10/10
02. Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao, Brazil - 9.5/10
03. Pain & Glory, Spain - 9/10
04. Beanpole, Russia - 9/10
05. Weathering with You, Japan - 8.5/10
06. Atlantics, Senegal - 8/10
07. Buoyancy, Australia - 8/10
08. Verdict, Philippines - 8/10
09. Joy, Austria - 8/10
10. System Crasher, Germany - 7.5/10
11. The Whistlers, Romania - 7.5/10
12. Furie, Vietnam - 7/10
13. A Land Imagined, Singapore - 7/10
14. Dear Ex, Taiwan - 6.5/10
15. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, United Kingdom - 6/10
16. Inhuman Kiss, Thailand, - 6/10
17. Lionheart, Nigeria - 5/10

In order of chances to be nominated:
01. South Korea
02. Spain
03. Russia
04. Brazil
05. Senegal
06. Germany
07. United Kingdom
08. Australia
09. Japan
10. Romania
11. Philippines
12. Taiwan
13. Singapore
14. Vietnam
15. Thailand

DQ'd: Austria & Nigeria.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've seen two more and most likely final films in contention for this category.

Atlantics (Senegal) 2/10 & Finding Farideh (Iran) 6/10

Atlantics starts off well enough with a group of workers demanding that money owed to them is paid. They then go out to see to travel to Europe. A short time later the women of the village emerge asking for the husbands/spouses money but they have taken on a zombie/undead persona. What started out so well denigrated to a film that wasn't quite sure how it wanted to resolve things. Very unsatisfactory film that will probably make the shortlist due to it Cannes Grand Jury prize.

Finding Farideh is an emotional documentary of a woman ages about 40 who travels to from Holland to Iran where is was born as a baby in a attempt to locate her birth parents. Its a very emotional story, some of it of profound tragedy and to reveal anymore of the film would ruin it.

To my surprise of the 25 submitted film that I have seen 4 of them are documentaries which is something of a record for me and for the most part they have been very rewarding experiences.

Also, 2 of the films are on Netflix and if Netflix had go there act together they may have had another 2 but which were disqualified. I think in the future Netflix will purchase more foreign language films that may have a chance to increase their numbers.

This year as ever regardless of want is nominated there are some films I eager to see for myself Our Mothers (Belgium), The Painted Bird, (Czech Republic), The Traitor (Italy), System Crasher (Germany), And Then We Danced (Sweeden), Corpus Christi (Poland).

So from what I've see Parasite is a lock for a nomination and a win. Pain & Glory is a lock for a nomination - its chances of winning have evaporated over the last few weeks with Parasite steaming ahead at the box-office.

The other 3 places are anybody's guess but I'd like to see The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao (Brazil), Queen of Hearts (Denmark), Les Miserables (France), Tel Aviv on Fire (Luxembourg) help to round of the five.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Atlantics, Senegal (Mati Diop) 8.5/10 - A young woman is in love with a young construction worker but she's promised to a rich man. Then her love goes out to sea for greener pastures abroad only to die. And that's just the beginning. You think you know where this story is going then it takes you in for a loop. It introduces a fantastical/supernatural element which may divide audiences. Writer-director Mati Diop does utilize the story elements to shine a light on what's going in her country and say several things at once: The outdated patriarchal attitudes as well as the class discrepancy. That said, this is a fairly solid romantic drama fantasy and Diop shows a lot of promise as a filmmaker. This is available on Netflix and it is worth checking out.

Can it get in? Yes but I feel this one's gonna need the executive committee's help.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Tel Aviv on Fire (Luxembourg) 8/10

This gentle off-beat comedy about the making of a Palestinian soap opera and the implications for a young man thrown into writing the script and his relationship a high ranking Israeli border commander who has ideas of his own in what direction the soap should go sparkles and shines as its narrative advances.

A few good chuckles are to be had and the actors play the whole thing with a great deal of good will. A very pleasant surprise that really deserves to sneak in to the final five. A small gem of a film.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao, Brazil (Karim Ainouz) 9.5/10 - It's the 1950's. Two sisters are torn apart when their father banishes one of them for eloping and having a child out of wedlock. They live separate lives, hoping to see each other again. As I was watching this, it kind of feels like reading an amazing Latin-American novel with its sprawling narrative and its compelling characters. The characters this time are two sisters who were torn apart by the tyranny of patriarchal attitudes. It features beautiful performances by the entire cast including Fernanda Montenegro in a small but unforgettable role. The direction by Karim Aïnouz is assured and the cinematography is vibrant. Now I know why this film was picked over Bacurau to represent Brazil at the Oscars this year. It's one of this year's best.

Can it get in? Yes! And it absolutely deserves to.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Austria has been submitting films for decades and should have known better.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Austria's entry Joy disqualified for being too much in English.

I, too, was concerned when I saw it that it would be disqualified. This one had a slightly better chance at making it at least in the semi-finals than Lionheart. Despite the reason for disqualification being obvious and clear, the fact that both of these are directed and about women of color does not make for good optics.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Those Who Remained (Hungary) 6/10

This is a very delicate film that is basically a character study of the relationship (completely platonic) between a man who is a survivor of the holocaust and teenage girl set in the aftermath of WW2. Its very low key and beautifully acted by the two leads Károly Hajduk & Abigél Szõke. Its the sort of film that a couple of decades ago the Academy was prone to nominate but in todays more hyperactive internet environment it will probably get overlooked.

Honeyland (North Macedonia) 4/10

This fly on the wall documentary about a 'bee hunter' in rural North Macedonia could actually be mistaken at times for a fictional film using non-professionals to tell a story of survival, tradition and change. I can't say I was taken by this film - I found it very arm's length and the subject matter not particularly engaging. Having said that it must be acknowledged that this film has been widely praised by critics and audiences and must be considered a player.

Personally, I much preferred the Greek entry When Tomatoes Met Wagner which deals with similar subject matter.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, United Kingdom (Chiwetel Ejiofor) 6.5/10 - Based on a true story, this film is about a 13-year-old boy who built wind turbines to help power his small village in Malawi. This film pretty much follows the formula of the "inspiring true story". I give it points for trying to break out of that formula, trying to immerse us in the African milieu, depicting the various political and socio-economic issues and problems that plague this little village in Africa. It also has some lush cinematography courtesy of Dick Pope and good performances from its cast including the writer-director himself Chiwetel Ejiofor. But all in all, it still an "inspiring true story" movie. It's commendable but nothing new.

Can it get in? It has a decent enough chance. But Angelina Jolie's name wasn't enough to put First They Killed My Father in the nominees list that year.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Nigeria's entry has been disqualified.

Due to it being way too much in English. I was wondering about that when I saw it. A huge chunk of it was in English. It didn't have much of a shot anyway.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Adam (Morocco) 6/10

A low key drama about a pregnant woman who enters the house of a young mother and her daughter forming a bond as secrets of the past and decisions for the future unfold. An impressive debut for director Maryam Touzani. Probably a bit too restrained for the Academy's taste.

The Chambermaid (Mexico) 6/10

Another impressive feature film debut by a woman, Lila Aviles, this low key observation piece on a maid going about her work in a large hotel in a city in Mexico. Its a film that requires no 'big scenes' to justify its laid back narrative style. Like Adam, probably too restrained for the Academy's taste but in a wide open year one never knows.

Gaza (Ireland) 6/10

This is a co-directed documentary by Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell takes the viewer to a unique placed beyond the reach of television crews reports to reveal a world we rarely see. Some have accused the film of being one sided but as primarily an observation piece it doesn't actually feel like its taking sides in the on-going conflict. It's an interesting film but nothing special to elevate it to a nomination I would think.

Lionsheart (Nigeria) 2/10

Virtually a one woman show as Genevieve Nnaji directs and stars as a woman taking over the running of her fathers company when he becomes ill and the challenges she must endure to succeed. I found this really lame and to be honest only watched it because its in the running and its on Netflix. Won't get anywhere in this category.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Mover (Latvia) 4/10

A WW2 drama based on a true story of Zanis Lipke who saved the lives of more than 50 Jews and went on to be honoured as one of the 'Righteous Among the Nations' for his heroic actions.

Though I have something of a weak spot for WW2 dramas this one despite the best of intentions is ultimately a dull affair that never engages and as a result is rather distancing - it also doesn't have a sense of character or motivation and a rather crude sex scene is jarring thrown into the mix to show our hero either letting off steam or his frustrations (or something else for all I know).

The Academy has a liking for WW2 dramas but have a checkered history when nominated them. Some wonderful ones have made the final five, some wonderful films haven't. And some mediocre and awful films have made the final five and some haven't so anything is possible with this one.

Dear Son (Tunisia) 6/10

This is the first film I have seen that deals with the issue of a young person leaving their family (without their knowledge) to go and join ISIS and fight in Syria. However, the film isn't really about the son but his fathers devotion to his son, how he deals with this development and the effect that it has on his life and that of his wife.

Its a solid drama that premiered at Cannes last year (I've been missing screening for more than a year so it was pleasing to actually be able to finally catch-up with the film). Helping to ground the film is an excellent central performance by Mohamed Dhrif.

It would not surprise me if this sneaked in.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Lionheart, Nigeria (Genevieve Nnaji) 5/10 - After her father falls ill, a woman must work with her eccentric uncle in order to save the family's failing bus company. Thanks to the magic of Netflix, I was able to see my very first film from Nigeria, which also happens to be Nigeria's first entry to the Oscars International Feature Film category (apparently, this one had enough non-English dialogue to qualify). It's also why I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't great. The film is well-intentioned, sure but also kind of dull. The star of the film, Genevieve Nnaji, pulls quadruple duties by also directing, co-writing and co-producing the film does give a good performance and holds the thing together. Ultimately, it lands on "just okay, I guess."

Can it get in? Nah, I don't see this being a factor at all.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”