New York Film Critics Circle Winners

For the films of 2019
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually I have seen Good Time although I'd forgotten it until I read the IMDb. description just now. I kind of remember liking it.

Apatow, though, I have a very low tolerance for.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Big Magilla wrote:I've never seen a Safdie Brothers film and have not been looking forward to seeing Uncut Gems mainly because I've never seen an Adam Sandler film I could stomach aside from The Wedding Singer which was mildly entertaining. I've found his dramatic films to be even tougher to sit through than his dimwitted comedies. Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish were pure torture for me.
Further to this, you COULD try Funny People by Judd Apatow, depending on your tolerance of the Apatow brand of humor. Sandler has a low-key performance in that one. Also, Good Time might be a good intro to the Safdie's world (Heaven Knows What is just so grim), a very tense movie with a great performance by Pattinson.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Big Magilla wrote:
MaxWilder wrote:Try The Meyerowitz Stories. It's not a lowbrow Sandler vehicle; neither is he capital-A Acting. He just gives a nice performance.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched it on Netflix. Good ensemble work with both Sandler and Stiller at their best along with Dustin Hoffman in his best role in years even if he spends half the film in a coma.
You're very welcome! This comment made my day. :)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I've never seen an Adam Sandler film I could stomach aside from The Wedding Singer which was mildly entertaining. I've found his dramatic films to be even tougher to sit through than his dimwitted comedies. Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish were pure torture for me.
Try The Meyerowitz Stories. It's not a lowbrow Sandler vehicle; neither is he capital-A Acting. He just gives a nice performance.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched it on Netflix. Good ensemble work with both Sandler and Stiller at their best along with Dustin Hoffman in his best role in years even if he spends half the film in a coma.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Big Magilla wrote:I've never seen an Adam Sandler film I could stomach aside from The Wedding Singer which was mildly entertaining. I've found his dramatic films to be even tougher to sit through than his dimwitted comedies. Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish were pure torture for me.
Try The Meyerowitz Stories. It's not a lowbrow Sandler vehicle; neither is he capital-A Acting. He just gives a nice performance.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It reads like speculation. Nowhere does it claim that the voters actually considered the others mentioned.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Interesting mention of potential contenders. Wonder if it's speculation or hints at the actual competition.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... cle-awards
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sabin wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote
Congratulations Marty and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a steller season.
CUT TO LAST YEAR: Congratulations, Alfonso and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a stellar season.

The only NYFCC Best Film to win the Oscar this decade is The Artist. It's worth noting that A LOT of their winners seemed like Oscar front-runners or close to it at the time of their award: Roma, La La Land, Boyhood, American Hustle, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Social Network.

What I'm trying to say is... The Irishman is done. (not really)

A quick scan reveals that Marty isn't quite the NYFCC favorite as some would think.
-1976: Taxi Driver wins Best Actor.
-1980: Raging Bull wins Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.
-1990: Goodfellas wins Best Picture and Director
-2002: Gangs of New York wins Best Actor.
-2006: The Departed wins Best Director.
-2019: The Irishman wins Best Picture and Supporting Actor.

I'm sure there's an outlier I'm forgetting but that's it. Altman has a better record. So, does Woody Allen.
GoodFellas also won De Niro best actor (shared with Awakenings) and Kundun won Best Cinematography.

Scorsese's films have won 11 awards here, tied with Altman. The only directors with more are Woody Allen with 16 and Fred Zinnemann with 13. Bergman, Demme, and Lean are the only other directors with double digit wins.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My take on Lupita Nyong'o's win...

Before any precursors were announced, if you were to ask me what the nominees for Best Actress are going to be, I would list you my predictions. All of us can do that and we're usually more or less correct. This year, I'd say Ronan, Theron, Zellweger, and some combination of Ervio, Johansson, and Woodard. This crop of performances doesn't seem like it's going to inspire much love from film critics. Either the films aren't great or the film aren't big showcase pieces or some combination of the two. Lupita Nyong'o's performance could be described as love-it or hate-it. In a lukewarm field, that's an advantage.

I'm still formulating my thoughts on Los Angeles and the National Society of Film Critics but I tend to think they'll look elsewhere beyond the crop of likely nominees to Elisabeth Moss for Her Smell, Mary Kay Place for Diane, or perhaps Nyong'o again.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Only two films since 1996 have managed to win all of NBR, NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC, and CFCA. Those films were The Social Network and L.A. Confidential. So, beware of sweeps as they can often doom the frontrunner. LAFCA, NBR, and NSFC seem to be the most likely groups go go against the mainstream, so we'll see what they choose.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For a while there I was doing triple duty, monitoring this stuff, watching/listening to the impeachment hearings and doing household chores and then I just zoned out of all three after the Nyong'o announcement simultaneously with the mealy-mouthed Republican jackasses taking over the questioning in the hearings. I had enough. Just like Rep. Denny Heck who just announced his retirement from Congress at the end of his present term, my soul is weary of it all. But then I had a very refreshing nap to catch up on my missing sleep.

I have nothing against Nyoung'o - but like Toni Collette and Emily Blunt last year and Florence Pugh this year, I was not a fan of her overacting in her over-praised horror movie. I liked Get Out but phooey on Us.

I've never seen a Safdie Brothers film and have not been looking forward to seeing Uncut Gems mainly because I've never seen an Adam Sandler film I could stomach aside from The Wedding Singer which was mildly entertaining. I've found his dramatic films to be even tougher to sit through than his dimwitted comedies. Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish were pure torture for me.

Other than that, though, good for Banderas, Pesci, Dern and the rest.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:I bet they voted on Best Picture first.
Someone on-scene tweeted that this is precisely what happened.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
Even if they end up not winning the Oscar, you're not going to deny that Irishman is going to win a substantial amount of precursor awards, are you? I'm not understanding the resistance to this, but there's quite a bit of it around. I think NYFCC and NBR agreeing on Best Film is indicative of some sort of groundswell-in-the-making.
I think it'll do just fine. Although I wonder how far its winning streak will extend beyond the critics. It's not a flashy film so the Guilds might overlook it.
Sonic Youth wrote
That director and film was announced instantaneously is another clue. I wasn't joking when I said the NY critics may have been negotiating whether to give Scorsese the award or not. In fact, it may (deceptively) look like he'll underperform during the precursors due to critic's group's tendency to spread the wealth.
As I wrote elsewhere, I'm almost certain they voted on Best Film first, which inspired wealth-sharing when Best Director came up.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I bet they voted on Best Picture first. I think that's just what they do. Last year, they gave Best Foreign-Language Film to Cold War and then five seconds after Best Director went to Alfonso Cuaron, Roma won Best Picture. That makes me think they did the same thing here, which explains how (knowing Best Film will go to The Irishman), Best Director pivoted to The Safdie Bros.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote
Congratulations Marty and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a steller season.
CUT TO LAST YEAR: Congratulations, Alfonso and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a stellar season.
Even if they end up not winning the Oscar, you're not going to deny that Irishman is going to win a substantial amount of precursor awards, are you? I'm not understanding the resistance to this, but there's quite a bit of it around. I think NYFCC and NBR agreeing on Best Film is indicitive of some sort of groundswell-in-the-making.

That director and film was announced instantaneously is another clue. I wasn't joking when I said the NY critics may have been negotiating whether to give Scorsese the award or not. In fact, it may (deceptively) look like he'll underperform during the precursors due to critic's group's tendency to spread the wealth.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”