New York Film Critics Circle Winners

For the films of 2019
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

When I read Sonic's tweet below, I thought, Hmm, I don't think that's how this process works -- but the way it came out, it looks like he might have been correct. It was the longest Twitter-silent stretch of the day, seemingly reflecting a spirited contest for best director (ending in a slightly oddball choice)...but then The Irishman was announced best film barely a minute later (with two Special Awards in between).

High points:

Banderas, rather startlingly, is the first non-English speaking best actor winner in the 80+ years of NYFCC. There've been MANY such actresses, several directors, films, and supporting actresses, but never a best actor. This pick should help Banderas' hopes of crashing the AMPAS five in what's a very competitive year.

N'yongo underlines my take in the prediction folder: that recent NY surprises have tended to be black women. The best actress field this year is fairly broad, but none of what are seen to be the mainstream choices (Johansson, Theron, Ronan, Zellweger) are A-1 critic-bait (I said yesterday I thought Johansson was closest, which I'll elaborate on when I discuss Marriage Story, but even she has the issue of fading a bit in her film's second half). It may be that LA and the National Society also stay away from the mainstream group, which will probably have the ironic effect of boosting the most mainstream choice of all (Zellweger) with the TV awards and Oscar. As for Lupita herself...she has always been on the fringe for nomination, and remains there, but this certainly doesn't hurt her chances of slipping in.

Marriage Story performed modestly for a film that seemed right up NY's alley, but it was part of a winning platform for Laura Dern. With the additional citation for Little Women, Dern won for two films directed by live-in partners, which feels like it must be a first.

By the way, I continue to monitor the Awards Worthy folk so you don't have to, and they were AGHAST that JLo failed to win here. They were shocked the vote took longer than a few minutes -- they all were sure it would be a first-ballot romp -- and then disbelieving when their choice didn't finish first. They truly live in a bubble over there.

This is Pesci's second win in NY, but Goodfellas is not the earlier one (he lost that year to Bruce Davison/Longtime Companion); his first win was for Raging Bull. And, preview of coming attractions: he's never won at the Globes.

My instinct is the Safdie win migt be like the Sean Baker prize for Florida Project -- a tip of the hat to a small indie that doesn't get full-on Oscar traction. But I haven't seen the movie yet, so maybe I'll change my mind.

With all Quentin's Oscar attention in this millennium -- including a second Oscar -- this is his first attention from NY since Pulp Fiction. Screenplay awards look to be exceedingly competitive on both sides this year.

Below the line, it was a good day for Neon (Parasite, Portrait of a Lady..., Honeyland) and Netflix (I Lost My Body, Atlantics -- along with its Marriage Story/Irishman wins).

Finally, The Irishman. Two major groups, two best picture wins. A long way to go, a lot of movies to compete with, so this doesn't mean anything definitive (Kathryn Bigelow can tell you about being in the same situation 7 years ago). But a good start for an excellent movie.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
Congratulations Marty and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a steller season.
CUT TO LAST YEAR: Congratulations, Alfonso and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a stellar season.

The only NYFCC Best Film to win the Oscar this decade is The Artist. It's worth noting that A LOT of their winners seemed like Oscar front-runners or close to it at the time of their award: Roma, La La Land, Boyhood, American Hustle, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Social Network.

What I'm trying to say is... The Irishman is done. (not really)

A quick scan reveals that Marty isn't quite the NYFCC favorite as some would think.
-1976: Taxi Driver wins Best Actor.
-1980: Raging Bull wins Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.
-1990: Goodfellas wins Best Picture and Director
-2002: Gangs of New York wins Best Actor.
-2006: The Departed wins Best Director.
-2019: The Irishman wins Best Picture and Supporting Actor.

I'm sure there's an outlier I'm forgetting but that's it. Altman has a better record. So, does Woody Allen.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Sabin must have figured he had 10-15 before best picture was announced, but it was instantaneous.
Well, that gives credibility to my guess below.

Congratulations Marty and Netflix. Looks like you're going to have a steller season.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin must have figured he had 10-15 before best picture was announced, but it was instantaneous: The Irishman.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Director goes to The Safdie Bros. for Uncut Gems.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm guessing the discussion going on now is whether they should award both Scorsese and The Irishman, or whether they should limit The Irishman to Best Picture (and Sup. Actor).

Yes, I could be wrong. But why would New York deny their favorite son?

(Now watch as Joker wins.)
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Screenplay: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Actress goes to Lupita Nyong'o for Us... and Twitter explodes.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Actor goes to Antonio Banderas for Pain & Glory.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Supporting Actress goes to Laura Dern for Little Women and Marriage Story
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Supporting Actor goes to Joe Pesci for The Irishman.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHER: Claire Mathon (Portrait of a Lady on Fire)
BEST FIRST FILM: Atlantics (Mati Diop)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

New York Film Critics Circle Winners

Post by Sabin »

They're rolling out the winners as we speak:

Honeyland for Documentary.

I Lost My Body for Animated Film (which took them six minutes to vote on)

Parasite for Foreign Language Film.

Whatever's coming up next is taking them a half hour to vote on. As I look back on last year's winner, that looks like... Cinematography.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”