The Official Review Thread of 2019

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2019

Post by Precious Doll »

In defence of Us, which I didn't actually like (2 our 10), Jordan Peele showed (again) great visual flare, presents interesting characters (but then doesn't know what to do with in Us) and unlike Get Up didn't have a clue where to take his story so it just descended into silliness.

I'm prepared to give Peele another go on these strengths and of course Get Out.

Ari Aster? No thanks. Complete hack, not an original idea in his films and doesn't have a clue how to direct the editing of his films which are overlong and tedious in the extremes.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I've expressed in the past my fear that the junk movie takeover of the film industry (superheroes, dumb comedies, horror) would eventually lead to a generation of critics who've never known anything else and would cause the elevation of genre pieces that would have been laughed off the screen in the 60s and 70s. This outpouring of critical heft for such a nothing movie suggests that time is nigh.
Absolutely spot on.
Agree. Also agree 100% on Us review.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:I've expressed in the past my fear that the junk movie takeover of the film industry (superheroes, dumb comedies, horror) would eventually lead to a generation of critics who've never known anything else and would cause the elevation of genre pieces that would ave been laughed off the screen in the 60s and 70s. This outpouring of critical heft for such a nothing movie suggests that time is nigh.
Absolutely spot on.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

When some people, in praising Us, said it overcame Get Out's problem of not being scary enough, they might as well have been telling me to avoid the movie. But, a slew of critics' awards persuaded me I had to put myself through the film. And what I found was a film problematic not so much for how scary it was -- I didn't find it terribly so, actually -- but for how empty and how goddamn dull it was.

I liked the set-up. The first half-hour had some nice Gothic stirrings -- the mysterious disappearance on the boardwalk; the weird Jeremiah guy; even up to the appearance of the mirror-image family on the driveway. But from the moment the family came to the doorway, the film turned mindlessly violent and repetitive -- it was essentially a traveling home invasion movie, a genre I've always found unpleasant and something to be endured rather than enjoyed. The only moment I found clever in the entire rampage was when the son realized he could lead his doppelganger to his doom by walking backward. The rest was just mayhem.

Peele seems to feel he has something bigger in mind (and he's apparently sold some critics on the notion). But his explanation for who these mirror-people are struck me as both too complicated and shallow. We have to believe in the existence of all these folk, how they were created, where they dwell, how they interact with their human counterparts (does it depend on their being nearby?), hardly any of which is explicated very well. The whole thing just struck me as kind of stupid, honestly. And the big "surprise" ending was just annoying. A last-second twist like that can only really work if it makes one go Aha!, or forces one to rethink previously-held assumptions. In this case, it just made me ask a ton of questions -- does switching territory reverse one's vocal chords (or why was the replicant speaking with that voice?); why was Lupita so scared throughout the film? (If it was all an act, feh!)

As for the now-highly-touted Lupita performance...she's a good actress, and she pulls off the dual role well enough. But to what end? It seems to me critics voting for her (over some very fine lead actresses) are signalling they're not beholden to "Oscar bait". But what could be more baity than an evil twin role? (How many soap stars have won daytime Emmys for just such parts?) I've expressed in the past my fear that the junk movie takeover of the film industry (superheroes, dumb comedies, horror) would eventually lead to a generation of critics who've never known anything else and would cause the elevation of genre pieces that would ave been laughed off the screen in the 60s and 70s. This outpouring of critical heft for such a nothing movie suggests that time is nigh.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:THE FAREWELL
Maybe, it's me but I didn't get the impression that the wedding was fake. Even though I kept expecting a plot turn that would expose the wedding as a sham, as far as I could tell, it never took that turn.
anonymous wrote:It was pretty clear from the get-go that the wedding was fake. They said it out loud several times. It was an excuse for the family to get together and spend time with the dying old woman without having to tell her she's dying.
As I understand it, the wedding was the excuse for the family get-together but it wasn't fake. It was supposed to have occurred in Japan where the Chinese cousin and Japanese girl lived, but was moved to China as the excuse for the gathering.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MARRIAGE STORY
Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, Ray Liotta, Merritt Wever, Azhy Robertson.
Dir: Noah Baumbach.

A couple with a young son goes through a divorce. They try to settle it in the best way possible but things don't go that way. Writer-director Noah Baumbach constantly surprises me, I must say. When I first heard of this film, I was like, what, haven't we seen this film several times already? As it turns out, we haven't seen Noah Baumbach's version. I've never divorced or married but I found myself really drawn to both of these characters and simply enraptured by their story. I found it surprisingly balanced, written with nuance and empathy for both sides. It makes you understand why they're breaking up yet also makes you sad that they are. But it's not a complete downer since Baumbach intelligently peppers his sharp screenplay with a surprising number of laughs. Yes, one of the best films of the year.

Oscar Prospects: Everything.

Grade: A.

(I don't know why but reading this board, I almost feel guilty liking things this much).
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:THE FAREWELL
Cast: Awkwafina, Tzi Ma, Diane Lin, Zhao Shuzhen, Lu Hong, Jiang Yongbo, Aoi Mizuhara, Zhang Jing.
Dir: Lulu Wang.

A young Chinese-American woman finds out her grandmother ("Nai-Nai") back in China has stage-four lung cancer and the entire family is keeping it a secret and they're staging a fake wedding so the entire family can spend one last time with her.
Maybe, it's me but I didn't get the impression that the wedding was fake. Even though I kept expecting a plot turn that would expose the wedding as a sham, as far as I could tell, it never took that turn.
It was pretty clear from the get-go that the wedding was fake. They said it out loud several times. It was an excuse for the family to get together and spend time with the dying old woman without having to tell her she's dying.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:THE FAREWELL
Cast: Awkwafina, Tzi Ma, Diane Lin, Zhao Shuzhen, Lu Hong, Jiang Yongbo, Aoi Mizuhara, Zhang Jing.

A young Chinese-American woman finds out her grandmother ("Nai-Nai") back in China has stage-four lung cancer and the entire family is keeping it a secret and they're staging a fake wedding so the entire family can spend one last time with her.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE FAREWELL

A young Chinese-American woman finds out her grandmother ("Nai-Nai") back in China has stage-four lung cancer and the entire family is keeping it a secret and they're staging a fake wedding so the entire family can spend one last time with her. While I didn't quite love this as much as some people I know, I liked it a lot. This is very much a lovely sweet comedy-drama about family that mostly avoids the sappiness and overt sentimentality that films like this often take. Speaking as an Asian person, it's kind of crazy how so similar Asian cultures are. I mean, there are things are definitely different but the tight-knit extended family dynamic is similar. Awkwafina shows that she actually has some dramatic chops and Zhao Shuzhen is simply endearing as "Nai-Nai".

Oscar Prospects: I don't know if this make it in Best Picture and Best Actress but Original Screenplay and Supporting Actress are possible.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

A SHAUN THE SHEEP MOVIE: FARMAGEDDON
Cast: Justin Fletcher, John Sparkes, Amalia Vitale, Kate Harbour (voices).
Dirs: Richard Phelan & Will Becher.

If you've been reading my reviews and are familiar with me as a reviewer, you will know that I'm a huge fan of the first Shaun the Sheep Movie which I regard as the closest thing we have to a modern day Buster Keaton and/or Jacques Tati film. They made a sequel. I had high hopes. After all, Paddington 2 was excellent. But, alas, this film isn't as good as the first one. This time, Shaun the Sheep and the animals at the farm encounter a lost alien and it's pretty much E.T. which the cartoony slapstick layered in. There are some inspired gags here and some clever references and it does have some sweetness. But, alas, it lacks the magic of the first film. I remember coming out of the first one so giddy and happy at what I've seen. No such thing here. It is still a solid, entertaining film. Just don't expect lightning to strike twice.

Oscar Prospects: This is actually NOT eligible for Oscars this year. It could make a play for Animated Feature in 2021.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE IRISHMAN
Cast: Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel, Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin, Stephen Graham, Jesse Plemons.
Dir: Martin Scorsese.

Allegedly based on a true story of Frank Sheeran, a war veteran recruited to become a hit man for an organized crime syndicate and becomes friends with Jimmy Hoffa. Director Martin Scorsese returns to a familiar well alongside Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci and bringing Al Pacino along. At first glance, this feels like familiar territory. We've already seen this from him. What more can he do with this? As it turns out, at least one last thing. This is a more introspective and nuanced gangster flick. It feels like a culmination of what his previous mob-related films were building towards. The film is three and a half hours but I felt it kind of had to be. Being with the characters a long time as we see their story unfold really gave the film a layer of poignancy and emotional resonance. Robert De Niro is excellent but Al Pacino and Joe Pesci were both great. Yes, it is indeed one of the best of this year's "real" cinema.

Oscar Prospects: Everything.

Grade: A.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Dolemite is My Name is very watchable but there's something a bit hollow in the center. Writers Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski never quite make it clear who Rudy Ray Moore is and what creating Dolemite means. They never create an arc where he shifts from making Dolemite for himself to making Dolemite for the people. Instead, he's a do-anything-to-succeed entrepreneur who's largely devoid of personal responsibility other to himself, and Rudy succeeding means everyone succeeds. In that sense, it feels very much like an 80's comedy that Murphy himself headlined. "Where are the stakes or the conflict?" my sister asked, and there are none. The best you can say is that they *would* come from within Moore and between those around him, but the film doesn't want to do anything that would messy Moore's legacy up. If I had to guess, I'd blame Murphy whose entire filmography revolves around surrounding himself with a faithful entourage on film. And Moore himself is free of contradiction. It can't help but feel like a big missed opportunity.

What Murphy's instincts get right is that the film ends up being pretty fun, if not dramatically compelling. It doesn't have the chops of Ed Wood but it has the charm. There's an obliviousness to Moore that reminded me of Kip from Bowfinger. The performances from his entourage are all very good as well. Da’Vine Joy Randolph has been rightly singled out as the standout, as someone who truly does feel the walls closing in on her and Moore's can-do spirit truly does make a difference in her life.

Netflix feels appropriate.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

KNIVES OUT
Cast: Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Christopher Plummer, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, Noah Segan, Riki Lindhome, Edi Patterson, Frank Oz.
Dir: Rian Johnson.

The family patriarch dies of an apparent suicide. But it could be foul play and everyone in the family is a suspect. Writer-director Rian Johnson brings the classic Agatha Christie style murder mystery whodunnit to the 21st century and really makes the most of it. All the classic trappings of the genre is there: An old-fashioned mansion, a murder, a wise-cracking detective and a family of suspects all played by an all-star ensemble cast. Johnson ratchets things up a bit by layering in some social commentary and a dark sense of humor all the while taking the stakes and mystery seriously. Fans of the genre will find plenty to love. Other people, like myself, will likely find it pretty much a superbly entertaining fun ride.

Oscar Prospects: Hmm. A Best Picture nomination could be tall order but Original Screenplay is possible.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FROZEN II
Cast: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Sterling K. Brown, Evan Rachel Wood, Alfred Molina, Martha Plimpton, Jason Ritter, Jeremy Sisto, Rachel Matthews, Alan Tudyk, Ciaran Hinds, Aurora (voices).
Dirs: Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee.

The sequel to the very popular blockbuster animated hit has Queen Elsa hearing a mysterious voice and that voice could be the key to discovering the origin of her powers. The eventual answer to that question is kind of convoluted which is one of the film's weaknesses. It tries very hard to recapture the magic of the first one but it doesn't quite do it. It is still a beautifully animated, charming and very entertaining animated feature. The new songs are no "Let It Go" or "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" but they're pretty good. The one I love in particular is Kristoff's song ("Lost in the Woods"). If you're a fan of the first movie, there is no reason for you not to enjoy this one. But it's no Toy Story 2.

Oscar Prospects: Animated Feature and Original Song.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FORD V. FERRARI
Cast: Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Jon Bernthal, Caitriona Balfe, Tracey Letts, Noah Jupe, Josh Lucas, Remo Girone, Ray McKinnon.
Dir: James Mangold.

This is the true story of how automotive designer and engineer Carroll Shelby and British race car driver Ken Miles under the Ford Motor Company to design, race and beat Ferrari at the automotive racing. This is what I personally like to call a "dad movie". Sometimes that is a pejorative but this time, it's actually an excellent example of a "dad movie". I have next to no knowledge of this event, not being a car racing fan nor even a sports fan, so the film did a remarkable job of making me care and understand what's at stake. It features some elegant, very classic, straightforward filmmaking and a strong cast. Though it doesn't reinvent the biopic, it doesn't fall into its traps too often. It's a solid piece of entertainment that's a brisk two and a half hours.

Oscar Prospects: It could easily win Film Editing, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing even if it doesn't get in Best Picture which it probably will.

Grade: B+

Return to “2019”