Golden Globe reactions

For the films of 2018
criddic3
Tenured

Re: Golden Globe reactions

Post by criddic3 »

danfrank wrote:They should give the TV one to Bob Newhart, who's almost 90.
Another good suggestion! Let's hope they all live to be a hundred so they have enough time to reward all of them :)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

They should give the TV one to Bob Newhart, who's almost 90.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:
criddic3 wrote:
Reza wrote:
Dick Van Dyke should be the recipient next year before its too late.
I was thinking Betty White, but Van Dyke would be a wonderful choice too.
Some others who could well win this new award are:

William Shatner

And I noticed that there are still quite a few actors out there who could get the DeMille:

Arnold Schwarzenegger
[/quote]

Both of these would be great to see. I know it couldn't happen this year with Arnold and "MeToo" because of the optics with his love-child controversy of a several years ago, but he is a previous Golden Globe winner (for New Star of the Year) and a competitive nominee (Best Comedy Actor for "Junior" the same year his "True Lies" co-star Jamie Lee Curtis won for Comedy Actress).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

criddic3 wrote:
Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Yes it's annual. Yes it's going to be for TV only unlike the DeMille. It's also going to be named the Carol Burnett Award.
Dick Van Dyke should be the recipient next year before its too late.
I was thinking Betty White, but Van Dyke would be a wonderful choice too.
Some others who could well win this new award are:

Candice Bergen
Ted Danson
John Goodman
Richard Chamberlain
Dick Van Dyke
Kirstey Alley
Kelsey Grammer
Cloris Leachman
Betty White
Angela Lansbury
William Shatner
Martin Sheen
Tom Selleck
Danny De Vito
Patrick Stewart
Alan Alda
John Cleese
Lily Tomlin

And I noticed that there are still quite a few actors out there who could get the DeMille:

Jane Fonda
Tommy Lee Jones
Michael Caine
Sally Field
Ben Kingsley
Robert Duvall
Helen Mirren
Susan Sarandon
Maggie Smith
Judi Dench
Diane Keaton
Goldie Hawn
James Caan
Steve Martin
Julie Andrews
Mia Farrow
Jon Voight
Harvey Keitel
Ellen Burstyn
Kim Novak
Donald Sutherland
Vanessa Redgrave
Julie Christie
Ann-Margret
Chevy Chase
Arnold S
Sylvester Stallone
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Check out my first book, Marco - I actually think you’d really enjoy it :)
I will - but I want a copy with your signature and a dedication. Or maybe just the signature - I'm afraid of what you could write :)
I think that could be arranged ;)
:)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Check out my first book, Marco - I actually think you’d really enjoy it :)
I will - but I want a copy with your signature and a dedication. Or maybe just the signature - I'm afraid of what you could write :)
I think that could be arranged ;)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Check out my first book, Marco - I actually think you’d really enjoy it :)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Really? In that scenario, why wouldn’t they obviously be rooting for Olivia Colman or Melissa McCarthy? You’re spinning, hon.
Olivia Colman wasn't even nominated in that category - stop drinking.
Okay, well just Melissa McCarthy then (who’s been heavily lauded on this Board). Your Board narrative is falling apart.

I’m not drinking; I’m at work. And thankfully about to leave for the weekend. Fun chatting with you as always...
Yes, but before completing your next masterpiece, from a writer (and I am sure you are a good one) I'd expect that he understands the main point of what I write. The general sense. And reply to THAT, rather than to a detail. But maybe you are just a bit embarassed by your praise of A Star is Born..? :)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Really? In that scenario, why wouldn’t they obviously be rooting for Olivia Colman or Melissa McCarthy? You’re spinning, hon.
Okay, well just Melissa McCarthy then (who’s been heavily lauded on this Board). Your Board narrative is falling apart.

I’m not drinking; I’m at work. And thankfully about to leave for the weekend. Fun chatting with you as always...

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Really? In that scenario, why wouldn’t they obviously be rooting for Olivia Colman or Melissa McCarthy? You’re spinning, hon.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:Okay, well, now you’re just moving your own goalposts. Your post specifically stated that people were “rooting for Lady Gaga to win” which never happened. Your post didn’t say, “their negative reaction to Glenn Close was a tacit endorsement of Lady Gaga to win.” I know it’s difficult for you to admit any sort of fault, but you very plainly misspoke. Anyway, though, moving on.
Well, I'd say that if most members of this board say good or at least positive things about Lady Gaga in A Star is Born and bad things about Glenn Close in The Wife, they are OBVIOUSLY rooting for Lady Gaga. Or in America it doesn't work this way..?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okay, well, now you’re just moving your own goalposts. Your post specifically stated that people were “rooting for Lady Gaga to win” which never happened. Your post didn’t say, “their negative reaction to Glenn Close was a tacit endorsement of Lady Gaga to win.” I know it’s difficult for you to admit any sort of fault, but you very plainly misspoke. Anyway, though, moving on.

I didn’t share my own thoughts on The Wife after I saw it, but I will now. I think the movie is average (not bad - yes, you can see the “big twist” coming from a mile away), but I thought Close was incredible in it and no, this isn’t one of her “lesser” nominations. She got nominated once for crying in the shower for The Big Chill. In fact, I think her last twenty-five minutes of the film, especially those at the Nobel banquet are astonishing and feature some of her best acting in years. It actually reminded me of Charlotte Rampling at the end of 45 Years. For me, this won’t be a “career Oscar” should she win.

In my own initial review, I thought Lady Gaga did a good job (let’s be honest, this could have been a Glitter-like bomb of epic proportions and well might have been had Beyoncé played the role as originally planned). But I reserved the highest praise for Cooper and Elliott who I thought were best in show.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:Oh, and also, ITALIANO, I’d love for you to cite one single person on this Board (along with their post) who has stated that Lady Gaga should win Best Actress this year. It, quite simply, never happened.
I knew :D

Of course flipp nobody on this board was so naive to admit that he was rooting for Lady Gaga (Lady Gaga!) over Glenn Close at the Globes.

But just read what members of this board said for months about Glenn Close's performance and what the SAME MEMBERS (one by one) said of Lady Gaga's performance in A Star is Born. Most - I am probably the only exception, but there may be others - were CLEARLY much more favorable towards Lady Gaga than towards Glenn Close. I don't have time now to quote their reviews here, and I dont like to name names, but please check. The SAME people who were dismissive of Glenn Close in The Wife ("subpar" etc) weren't that negative towards Lady Gaga. So, whom do you think they wete rooting for? Nicole Kidman? Come on...

And I think this is - can I be honest? - stupid. Now they are slowly realizing that Lady Gaga won't win the Oscar, so they (I'd say YOU, too, except that admittedly I dont remember what you said about Glenn Close) are now embarased and are attacking ME for telling the bitter truth. But unfortunately for them I have a good memory :) And believe me, no one who understands something about acting can say that Lady Gaga is better than Glenn Close - even than Glenn Close in The Wife.

Oh, and someone DID change his mind on Lady Gaga's performance - suspiciously, just a few days before the Golden Globes. Again, I won't name names, but he knows who he is and if you check you can find his second review.

As Sabin says, this is something I'd expect from internet in general and the teenagers surfing it. But from this board I expect a much higher level, and I am rather disappointed. At least WE shouldnt follow easy, empty web trends.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”