Everything Is Great and Amazing

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:As radical as it sounds, if a progressive President and Congress is elected in 2020; and, the Supreme Court rules the passed-and-signed legislation unconstitutional, I think it would then be the correct decision for the President and Senate to increase the number of Justices in the Supreme Court.
There are a lot of people who've never been anything close to radical -- or even especially lefty -- who would agree. Especially given the circumstances by which Gorsuch got his seat, not to mention the murkiness around the legitimacy of the 2018 vote.

Constitutional crisis used to be a fantastical term. No more.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

As radical as it sounds, if a progressive President and Congress is elected in 2020; and, the Supreme Court rules the passed-and-signed legislation unconstitutional, I think it would then be the correct decision for the President and Senate to increase the number of Justices in the Supreme Court.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This November's election will be decisive. Either things will change or we'll know for sure that the masses are either stupid or just don't care.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I was planning on posting something about the manic pundit over-reaction to the Ocasio-Cortez win last night (a win that cheered me immensely, and is NOT, contrary to hot takes, a sign Democrats are in Disarray!!)...

...but that's small potatoes compared to the Supreme Court horror. The hypocrisy with which McConnell will ram through a far-right replacement will be obvious to all and will not matter. To this GOP, power is all that counts, and they will exercise it ruthlessly. (Dems who object loudly will be accused of...wait for it...incivility.)

I repeat my post of yesterday. This is a GOP court that already sees itself as a super-Congress, willing to contort to any shape to achieve GOP-desired outcomes. Anyone out there still want to argue there was no difference between the candidates?

Screw them all. And James Comey. And Vladimir Putin. Unless Robert Mueller swoops in quickly and decisively (I think he'll do the deed eventually, but I fear not soon enough), this country is going to be in a world of hurt for likely the rest of my lifetime.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Just when you thought this week couldn't get ANY worse...
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defeats House Democrat Joe Crowley in massive upset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irUKkruoibA
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yet another day when we can offer our heartfelt thanks to all those who stayed home or voted for a pointless third party because there was no difference between the two candidates.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some have suggested the message was meant for Trump. Whatever the reason, it was tone deaf, very much a "let 'em eat cake" moment, but what saddens me most is the continued support of her husband no matter what he does.

Conducting a news conference with people who lost loved ones to violence at the hands of immigrants that turned out to be victims of drunk drivers was beyond the pale as so many things have been. It's almost as bad as the right-wing meme comparing soldiers separated from loved ones in their deployment to the taking of children from asylum seekers which shouldn't be compared to anything except the taking of children from their parents in Nazi concentration camps. This is beyond callous. It's institutionalized cruelty. It forces the parents who have risked everything to bring their children to what they would be safety only to have them plead guilty to the "crime of illegal entry" to get a reduced sentence and deportation in the hope that they will be reunited with the children no one seems to know where to find. And it's being done in our name while our president shames our country's friends and cavorts with its enemies. If this were a TV show no one would believe it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I don't think anyone is letting the Mel-Jacket distract them from the full extent of the horror that's flooded our TV screens this week. That will be a lasting concern.

However...it really was pretty unbelievable. Like many, I had to have it confirmed for me multiple times that it was for real, not a photoshop -- it seemed too ridiculously over-the-top callous to be genuine. Good god: the whole point of the trip was to get a photo op that said "I care" (It was as blatant as George HW Bush's one-time awkwardness "Message: I care".) To wear that jacket on the trip was either a sign of cataclysmic obliviousness or something close to evil -- as implied here, a "let 'em eat cake" for the 21st century.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:So, Melania Trump has now gone full Marie Antoinette.
So it would seem, but whatever the message on her jacket of "I really don't care. Do U?" is supposed to mean, we can't let it detract from the horror of what is going on. The protests scheduled for next Saturday (June 30th) should be the most massive of the Trump era yet.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, Melania Trump has now gone full Marie Antoinette.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:So... that’s a key.
Respectfully but firmly disagree. I can understand reacting to the media's initial willingness to swoon for the pageantry, but I think it's analogous to the response after Trump's first address to Congress -- remember "He BECAME president tonight"? That conventional wisdom lasted about 36 hours. There are too many in the media looking to give Trump participation trophies. And, of course, there's also his amen corner, who could literally watch him crap in the oval office and proclaim it some achievement. They'll be out pretending this is some great accomplishment.

But anyone who knows anything about international diplomacy thinks Trump has given massive unearned deference to a brutal dictator -- even putting his flags in a row alongside U.S. flags! -- and made unnecessary concessions (not only cancelling U.S. military maneuvers in South Korea, but using the phrase "war games" that comes straight from North Korea propaganda mills), all for the vaguest of promises...promises that were made decades ago by North Korea and have yet to be acted upon.

I think GOP strategist Mike Murphy is right: if Barack Obama, Bill or Hillary Clinton had staged this "summit", the right-wing echo chamber would be screaming Neville Chamberlain at the top of its lungs and would already have set impeachment hearings in motion. I think "Trump got played" will be the dominant response to this before we get to the weekend.

Do agree with you on the scariness of the Court's Ohio ruling, however.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So... that’s a key.

UPDATE: between that and the Supreme Court ruling about Ohio's voter purge, I'm scared.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Apparently not. Robert Costa (Washington Post) spoke with his wife who says he's doing fine. The Wikipedia page no longer says he died.

Return to “Current Events”