A Wrinkle In Time

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: A Wrinkle In Time

Post by Precious Doll »

Well it's all those old white critics that are to blame: https://www.thewrap.com/oceans-8-white- ... dy-kaling/.

Never mind that in 2018 everyone is a film critic thanks to the internet and that word-of-mouth from audiences can help to determine how a film goes at the box office more than anything else. If a film is good and well marketed people will come. It a film is no so good or bad and well marketed the people will be unlikely to come.

I understand that A Wrinkle in Time deviated from the book (having not read it myself) and that may explain the problems with the film. Also worthing noting that it international performance is far worse than its US performance at just over $32 million. Ouch!
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Somehow, in its 15th weekend, on around 250 screens, this grossed around $1.7 million. Compare that to Mother's Day weekend, its 10th weekend, where it grossed less than $1.2 million on nearly 2000 screens. It might be worth noting that going into this past weekend, it was less than $2 million shy of cracking $100 million at the box-office. It still didn't get there this weekend, but it will now.

Word is that Disney is trying to juice the numbers by buying out screenings.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

A Wrinkle In Time now has a 53 rating at Metacritic and a 42 rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'd never heard of the book but was prepared to go and see this.

However, today I went to the cinema to see Ferdinand while its still playing and they had a trailer for this. I don't know weather the trailer is on-line yet - I rarely watch them myself as I prefer to see them on the big screen - but it put me completely off seeing this film.

The CGI looks like something done on the cheap in China (if you have seen Stephen Chow's The Mermaid or Kaige Chen's Legend of the Demon Cat you will know exactly what I mean). And up on the screen appears 'From visionary director Ava DuVernay' WTF!

Ms DuVernay is a pretty competent director but she is no 'visionary' and the film looks visually crass. She ain't no Wes Anderson or Tim Burton in his prime. Chris Pine looks even more insufferable than he usually is.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It is definitely a book that North American kids seemingly had to read since its publication in 1962 (for me it was in elementary school, so around 95-96), and the series altogether is a great journey.

I saw the trailer before Coco but it was after being pummeled by trailers for Ferdinand and Sherlock Gnomes so my brain was not quite ready - could this become a movie series if the first one performs well? I have high hopes that it will be good.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You never heard of Madeleine L'Engel's A Wrinkle in Time? It was an incredibly popular novel when I was in middle school, matter of fact, it was required reading in our English class. I'm just astounded that you have never heard of it, Greg. Maybe it's because it's an American staple, I don't know. But believe me, that thing was HUGE back in the 80s. It's also the first in a series of books. The second book wasn't written until 11 years later, so it's more like The Gunslinger in that respect.

Here's the Wiki article on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Read it, I believe, my freshman year in high school. Loved it at the time, but my recollection at this point is non-existent. I can say it's a book many people have, over the years, mentioned to me with great fondness, so its "beloved" reputation is genuine.
Greg
Tenured

A Wrinkle In Time

Post by Greg »

This is a sci-fi film based on a children's/juvenile novel directed by Ava DuVernay.

A Wrinkle In Time Official US Teaser Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4U3TeY2wtM

I was aware that this was the first film with a budget over $100 million to be directed by a woman of color. What I did not originally know is that it was based on a novel, let alone a novel that is as supposedly popular and beloved as A Wrinkle In Time. Has anyone read the novel, and, if so, what did you think of it?

Also, the portion of the trailer shot on a cul-de-sac brings up a pet peeve of mine. I hate the look of homes where the most prominent thing you see in the front of it is the garage door.

Return to “2018”