Post by Bog »

Not Our President?

Sweet Potato Hitler's Reign?

Impending Impeachment News?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Life Under Trump

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:How about "End of Times: The Early Days"?
What about "Life in Fascist America" or "The Fake Presidency"?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

How about "We're fucked"?

How about "End of Times: The Early Days"?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I know I created this thread, but can someone come up with a better title? I get a headache just seeing the name Trump.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Trump's choice to replace Flynn at the NSA just turned him down.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Mister Tee wrote:
What's going on right now is truly unprecedented. It's quite clear the intelligence community believes 1) Trump and the GOP Congress were elected with, at minimum, massive cooperation from Russia, and 2) there's no reason for confidence that any current elected branch will do anything but attempt to cover this up. Reports are flying around the blogo-/Twittersphere that in another time you'd dismiss as loony-brained conspiracy, but which can't be ruled out, given the extraordinary circumstances in which we've already found ourselves. (Take a look at Louise Mensch's Carolina Conspiracy article -- it's out-there, but eerily plausible.)

And fuck me if I can see a normal way out of this. Impeach Trump? Get rid of Pence, too, because he benefited from the illegality? Then you're left with Paul Ryan, who at best turned a blind eye to all this, at worst collaborated (and, like all Republicans, was helped at the ballot box by the corruption of the election -- a corruption whose depth is difficult to ascertain). You'd have to go levels deep in the GOP to find anyone who wasn't advantaged by the Russian interference.

If we had a parliamentary system, the solution would be simple: dissolve the government and call new elections. The stability of the American system, which has served us well for 240 years, suddenly offers no just solution to all. The Trump candidacy has broken the country.

Some of you might be reading this and saying, Gee, Mister Tee used to be all rational and restrained; has he gone off the deep end? My response is, look around the Internet and see how many professionally rational/restrained commentators are getting to the same place. This is uncharted territory.
I'm as perplexed by the Trump-Russia relationship, but there does not seem to be evidence that the Russian's did more than try to influence the election. This idea that the GOP was the ballot box corrupting the vote on a massive scale has not been one floated that I have heard from the CIA or any other serious agency. The interference in the election has not been proven to actually have been large enough to have given the White House to Trump.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I have to admit, I find it very amusing that Americans have suddenly freaked out so completely about the allegations of Russian interference in the U.S. elections, considering that both Russia and USA have such a long history in interfering in other countries' political affairs.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:

Like Iran-Contra.

Scratch that. More like Bush's drunk driving scandal. It's never proven definitively, it changes no one's mind, and it goes away after January 20th.
Not sure I agree with you, because this appears to be coming from CIA sources. They make a much more dangerous enemy than disgruntled Democrats.
Thought I'd bump up this 12/11/16 quote of mine from the Election thread, because I've been wrong about so many things of late that it comforts me to find I might have been right somewhere.

What's going on right now is truly unprecedented. It's quite clear the intelligence community believes 1) Trump and the GOP Congress were elected with, at minimum, massive cooperation from Russia, and 2) there's no reason for confidence that any current elected branch will do anything but attempt to cover this up. Reports are flying around the blogo-/Twittersphere that in another time you'd dismiss as loony-brained conspiracy, but which can't be ruled out, given the extraordinary circumstances in which we've already found ourselves. (Take a look at Louise Mensch's Carolina Conspiracy article -- it's out-there, but eerily plausible.)

And fuck me if I can see a normal way out of this. Impeach Trump? Get rid of Pence, too, because he benefited from the illegality? Then you're left with Paul Ryan, who at best turned a blind eye to all this, at worst collaborated (and, like all Republicans, was helped at the ballot box by the corruption of the election -- a corruption whose depth is difficult to ascertain). You'd have to go levels deep in the GOP to find anyone who wasn't advantaged by the Russian interference.

If we had a parliamentary system, the solution would be simple: dissolve the government and call new elections. The stability of the American system, which has served us well for 240 years, suddenly offers no just solution to all. The Trump candidacy has broken the country.

Some of you might be reading this and saying, Gee, Mister Tee used to be all rational and restrained; has he gone off the deep end? My response is, look around the Internet and see how many professionally rational/restrained commentators are getting to the same place. This is uncharted territory.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Wikipedia in case you were wondering what hole he crawled out from:

Stephen Miller (born August 23, 1985) is a senior advisor to President Donald Trump. Prior to his current appointment, he was the communications director for then-Alabama senator Jeff Sessions. He also served as a press secretary to Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and Congressman John Shadegg.

Miller grew up in a liberal-leaning Jewish family in Santa Monica, California. Though his parents were Democrats, Miller became a conservative after reading Guns, Crime, and Freedom, a book by National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre. While attending Santa Monica High School, Miller began appearing on conservative talk radio. In 2002, at the age of sixteen, Miller wrote a letter to the editor of The Santa Monica Evening Outlook, criticizing his school's pacifist response to 9/11 in which he stated that "Osama Bin Laden would feel very welcome at Santa Monica High School. Miller invited conservative activist David Horowitz to speak, first at the high school and later at Duke University, and afterwards denounced the fact that neither of the centers would authorize the event.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Trump is lucky to get rid of Flynn so soon. Obama probably wishes he had had the same luck when Flynn was the Director of DIA.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Wonderful tweet I saw: "How brief was Flynn's tenure? William Henry Harrison would've had another week to replace him"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

In a statement, Mr. Flynn announced he was resigning "in order to spend more time with my comrades... er, family!"
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One down, two to go - Bannon and Miller.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Out like Flynn.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So funny, yet so sad because it's so true...

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/su ... rump/1445/

Return to “Current Events”