Damien Bona 1955-2012

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Damien

Post by Big Magilla »

Here are Damien's ten favorite films from ten years ago. I think they still are:

Damien Bona’s Favorite Films (November-December 2001) as submitted to Senses of Cinema
My only (arbitrary) rules are no more than one film from any director – otherwise this list might consist of five Edwards and five McCareys – and no film less than ten years old.
(in preferential order)
1. Breakfast at Tiffany's (Blake Edwards, 1961)
40 years old and it still plays as the most incisive, contemporary and moving take on relationships committed on film.
2. Make Way for Tomorrow (Leo McCarey, 1937)
Simultaneously the most heartbreaking and the most sagacious movie I've ever seen. As usual, McCarey seems like an alchemist because of the ease and the subtlety with which he conveys human behavior and emotions.
3. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)
What can you say? It is beyond cinema, it seems like life itself.
4. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)
On another day, my top Ford might be She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Two Rode Together or The Horse Soldiers. The film's sense of loss is not simply palpable, it is devastating.
5. Imitation of Life (Douglas Sirk, 1958)
A Sirk toss-up among There's Always Tomorrow, No Room For The Groom and this. If I choose Imitation of Life it's because this is the film in which the director most perfectly balances his impassioned concern for humankind and his benign contempt.
6. Lola Montes (Max Ophuls, 1955)
Its stoicism is gut-wrenching, its presentation of human foibles is painfully recognisable, the mise-en-scene is stunning.
7. Kiss Me, Deadly (Robert Aldrich, 1955)
Brutal, hilarious, groundbreaking and impudent. Both Aldrich's visual style and his send-up of American machismo are absolutely audacious. Irresistible.
8. The Seventh Victim (Mark Robson, 1943)
There's never been a more poignant examination of the loneliness of contemporary urban existence, and it's also unnerving as hell. Kim Hunter's brief shower sequence may surpass Janet Leigh's for sheer creepiness.
9. The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953).
This seems to me to be, by far, the greatest movie musical because of Minnelli's brilliance in having the numbers become the means by which the defenses of alienated, neurotic people are removed enabling them gradually to realise that they should be together, as lovers or friends or as members of a community – the musical sequences are characters in themselves in a way that I've seen in no other film.
10. Portrait of Jennie (William Dieterle, 1948)
What a fearless and glorious cinematic evocation of the overwhelming powers of love and of art!
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Sabin wrote: Damien sent me a copy of Make Way for Tomorrow on VHS some ten years ago.
He absolutely loved "Make Way for Tomorrow". He sent me a VHS copy of it too, in a time when it was really hard for anyone outside the US to find this movie.
Tonight , I am going to watch his copy for one more time, as i feel this is the closest i can get to be with him, during this difficult time.
All my best to Damien and his beloved ones.
Barrybrooks2011
Graduate

Post by Barrybrooks2011 »

Very sad news. As a lurker and rare participant for the last ten years or so, Damien always was a mainstay and important member of the board. I wish him, his friends and family, peace and no pain.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

How awful. I never met Damien, but felt like I knew him nonetheless. I am so saddened to hear this news. Praying for a miracle, but if it doesn't happen, I will always cherish knowing him through UAADB over the years.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not sure it would have improved his health any, so it's probably best.

They need to get Ethan Hawke there. Perhaps his great admiration could bring him back from the brink.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

...he didn't see the nominations.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

How very sad!

Damien sent me a copy of Make Way for Tomorrow on VHS some ten years ago. He's read a couple of scripts of mine, and he's always been an incredibly supportive, hilarious, and above all kind friend. I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

This place will never be the same.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

What devastating news about one of the highlights of this board. My best wishes for Damien, his family, and his friends.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

These news are truly surreal in the worst possible way. Sad, so sad.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

A couple months ago, I lost my phone in my apartment, so I went on Facebook chat to see who was on. The first name I saw was Damien's. I sent him an IM asking if he could possibly call my cell phone. He did, and I found it buzzing underneath me, buried inside my couch. We talked for a little bit. He said that I was missed at the Board and that he'd like it if I would come back. We texted on and off from then until now.

This news is very shocking and extremely sad. I hope that his last moments are peaceful and that he's surrounded with love. His extensive cinematic knowledge and particular brand of wit will be sorely missed here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is horrible and devastating.

I'm in tears right now, I never thought I would feel so broken up about someone I had never met in person.

God bless you, Damien, for all of the laughs, all of the fun you have contributed to this board, and for all I have learned from you about the movies.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Oh, no! :(

I'm shocked. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. This message board will be a little less fun without him.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

... I am at a loss of words... i am so sad about these news....
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Nooooooooo...the fragility of this life we live

My thoughts are with those filling up that waiting room...this board for better or worse will never be the same with out dear Damien

You will be missed my friend
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Fuck!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The People”