2011 Baseball Thread

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: 2011 Baseball Thread

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:1975 is not the Modern Era? God, I'm old.
Reality can be so cruel, can't it? For alot of people, when you talk about Fisk, you might as well say Rogers Hornsby.

So, the Cardinals are champions of baseball, after a Game 7 that unfortunately fell a time zone short of the impact of its immediate predecessor. I don't think a whole lot of people would argue St. Louis was actually the BEST team, but baseball long ago gave up caring much about that. Even in the two-divisions-per-league era we got questionable champs like the '85 Royals and '87 Twins. Since the Wild Card was thrown into the mix, it's all become a lottery, and you just hope for an entertaining one.

On that score, we got all we could have asked for (except a closer game tonight). The current post-season set-up allows a maximum 41 games; we got 38, which has to be easily the most in the past decade or more. Best of all, a winner-take-all Game 7 on the sport's final night. Damien, it's an even stronger sign you're getting old if you remember when seven-game series were regular occurrences, not baseball's equivalent of Halley's Comet. In our earliest years, seven-gamers were routine -- between 1952 and 1975, 15 of the 24 Series went the full seven. The rate waned a bit over the decade following, but still there were another five prior to 1987. That's when the drought began: in the 24 years since '87, only five series have gone the distance, including tonight's. No wonder baseball ratings have declined. Let's hope that era was a statistical fluke, and that we'll see more pitched battles like this rather than the dreary 4-5 game series to which we've become accustomed (and, yes, I acknowledge my own team was responsible for some of them).

Oddity: alot of folks DID think the Cards were the best team in baseball in '04, when they fell in four. But they've rallied to win two championships since, in years when they had about the worst record of any team qualifying.

So...when does Spring Training start?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I'm trying to write a response to Oscar Guy about War Horse and then be in bed by 11pm (90 minutes ago), but Game 6 has turned into Occupy Busch Stadium. The Cards deserve to lose this one, because they played horribly for most of the game. But if they win, they deserve that too. I'm just rooting for a Game 7.
You got it.

Unbelievable game. (One, honestly, both teams deserved to lose) The closest the modern era has seen to the famous Carlton Fisk Game 6 of 1975. And now game 7, first in 9 years. Fans truly have no complaint about this post-season.
Except... the Sox went on to lose the series. The Cards may not want such a comparison just yet.

This series is like watching a movie writing itself in real time, only better because it would come across as hackneyed in a movie. But all the dramatic elements are in place. The Cards winning tonight is the only acceptable conclusion (except for Texas fans).
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I'm trying to write a response to Oscar Guy about War Horse and then be in bed by 11pm (90 minutes ago), but Game 6 has turned into Occupy Busch Stadium. The Cards deserve to lose this one, because they played horribly for most of the game. But if they win, they deserve that too. I'm just rooting for a Game 7.
You got it.

Unbelievable game. (One, honestly, both teams deserved to lose) The closest the modern era has seen to the famous Carlton Fisk Game 6 of 1975. And now game 7, first in 9 years. Fans truly have no complaint about this post-season.
1975 is not the Modern Era? God, I'm old.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

You got it.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm trying to write a response to Oscar Guy about War Horse and then be in bed by 11pm (90 minutes ago), but Game 6 has turned into Occupy Busch Stadium. The Cards deserve to lose this one, because they played horribly for most of the game. But if they win, they deserve that too. I'm just rooting for a Game 7.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm impressed. So far (2nd game, 7th inning), these have been true World Series-calibre games.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm not very excited about the series either, but I'm solidly for the Cardinals. I'm not a LaRussa fan, but I have a good friend from St. Louis whose ethusiasm has rubbed off on me a bit. It's also cool that the Cardinals came out of nowhere to make the World Series. Who would have predicted this six weeks ago? No one with any credibility. Like Damien, my ethics won't allow me to root for any team from Texas.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I can't get enthused about this Series either, but I almost always root for the National League team (unless it's the Dodgers), and since I hate just about everything about the state of Texas except for some of its musicians and I loathe Nolan Ryan and George W. Bush and all the so-called "Christians" on the Rangers (Jeff Hamilton in particular) I seem no reason to change my usual preference this go around. Is anyone outside of Missouri a fan of Tony LaRussa these days? Too bad Ron Washington wasn't with the Cards and vice-versa. At least, though. LaRussa is an animal rights activist. And Stan Musial, the heart and soul of the Cardinals' legacy, is a liberal Democrat.

Cardinals in 6.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Since the teams I most like or most despise have been out of the playoffs since the end of round one, I've been rooting for simply decent baseball. I guess having two six-game series doesn't rate serious complaint, but both ultimate games were so ridiculous -- blowouts in the end, but competitive for a while because the winning teams' pitching wasn't all that superior to the losers' -- that I watched only half-heartedly (and, in fact, didn't stick out either game till the end).

I think it's hard to make much case that the game's best are going to be fighting it out for the championship. Texas at least had the second best record in the AL (though they managed to get this far without ever facing the top seed), but St. Louis limped into the playoffs (similarly, though in reverse, from the way they did in '06). I don't have the hatred for the Cardinals Bog does -- growing up in the Musial/Bob Gibson era leaves me with a residue of respect for the organization, and i admire Pujols. But I'm not crazy about LaRussa, and have no great desire for him to get yet another crown at this stage. On the other hand, the Rangers...when the Nelson Cruz homer won them Game 4, at a moment when you'd think their fans would be wrapped up in enthusiasm for their team and how close they were to the World Series, their home crowd started chanting "Yankees suck!"...which struck me as a really warped response. (I assure you, when the Yankees -- or most teams -- have a similar moment, no other team in the majors crosses anyone's mind) That plus Nolan Ryan and the Bush connection makes me a firm "Is there any way both teams can lose?" booster for this year.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I knew this was coming...I can't stand it!

As a diehard Reds fan who doesn't waste his time hating the Cubbies, my hatred is all Cardinals...I absolutely cannot stomach the Cardinals more with each win, regular or post-season...something about them just screamed don't let them in to the party...and with each game the Phillies tried with all their might to keep the Braves out at the end of the season (Utley STILL playing in the 11th inning of game 162), I knew it spelled doom...the Yanks did this right, as I could see a Red Sox/Cardinals rematch had they played it out like the Phillies felt obligated to for some reason.

For Damien this would be a Dodgers/Yankees fall classic, but I couldn't care less for the Rangers, just hate the Cardinals as much as Damien hates both those teams.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bush vs. Busch.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Life obligations have kept me from commenting till now. As it turns out, whatever pain I felt yesterday -- which was secondary, to begin with -- is that much less today at seeing the year-long presumptive World Champion ousted in the same fashion. ESPN has to be shaken to its roots, to see their Boston/Philadelphia World Series rendered so laughable.

Back to my Yankees. Congratulations to FilmFan for his team's victory, though most Yankee fans will be grudging about how utterly narrow the triumph was -- not just that the three wins were by a total of four runs, but also observing the cruel ways the Yankees were kept from scoring last night. Jeter's 8th inning fly-out epitomized how ridiculously close the series was -- literally a foot or two from reversing the outcome of the match, and it was about the fifth time in the course of the game that the Yanks were thisclose to scoring the vital run and somehow fell short. I don't have any dislike for any of the Tiger players, excepting Valverde (who, as one person put it, celebrates more after a meaningless save than Mariano did after his record-breaker). But I do think they were quite lucky in the series, and will be unlikely to match that good fortune in a longer best-of-seven.

But of course lucky is the byword of the day, as the Cardinals -- the "9 games out with 23 to play" Cardinals -- somehow prevailed over a Phillies team everyone saw as the NL's cream. I kept assuming the rally to break St. Louis' heart would emerge somewhere along the way, but it never did.

And, despite how displeased I am with the outcome of my team interest in this round, let me say that this is easily the best full set of division series we've had since the extra round was implemented. Not only three game fives (plus a four game set -- not a three-and-out to be found), but all three game fives were one run games, by definition nail-biters down to the final out -- especially the reversal-filled Milwaukee-Arizona game.

So, now, Milwaukee will face St. Louis in a transgendered rematch of the '82 World Series. I'm thinking a Milwaukee/Texas World Series, but after the past few days, who knows?

As far as Joe Girardi managing in panic -- you guys do know Ivan Nova came up with a hyper-extended elbow, and that's why he was pulled after two innings? Since no one explained this on the air, alot of us reacted with the same "what the hell is Joe doing?". But, given the later explanation, I'd have to say Girardi actually did a hell of a job of improvising in a desperate situation. Had his offense come through, he'd have been a genius. (Though the prospect of trying to make it through the next round with another pitcher down makes one half happy the team is going home)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:I did mention I was friends with a few Red Sox fans, right? I take it back. Such obnoxious people.
One should never gloat against the fans of a team that fails - and it doesn't matter how much you may hate said team -- because however you're own team may be doing right now, it won't always be so. (I even hold my tongue against friends who are Spawns of Satan -- i.e. Dodgers fans.)

Still, it's hard not to smirk in front of Phillie supporters right now. Those Philadelphia fans are so arrogant and obnoxious. Greatest starting rotation in Major League history indeed.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I did mention I was friends with a few Red Sox fans, right? I take it back. Such obnoxious people.

It always hurts to be eliminated, but some years aren't as bad as others. This was a mystifying end to the season - the Yankees were just LIFELESS last night - but it's nothing to be devastated about for more than one night. Now, Game 7 of the 2001 World Series? I'm still smarting over that one.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Thank God you guys win 97 or so games a year, cause this time a year comes around and Girardi actually makes me feel bad for Yankee fans....once again the (micro)Manager of the Year

Still...

Dear Yankees,
We hear your manager is the master of panic, we'll trade our version straight up for Girardi.
Sincerely,
Cincinnati Redlegs
P.S. We'll throw in Stubbs (400 Ks in last 2 years- at leadoff) for a couple used Rocket syringes

Return to “General Off-Topic”