The 2010-2011 Grammy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:In keeping with this thread, I am still surprised at Arcade Fire; not so much that they won, it somehow didn't surprise me. It was my Most Overrated Album of 2010, an inchoate mess of songs masquerading as some "Important Album", so of course it would be embraced by the brainwashed masses. Rather, I am surprised that even here in Canada, so many people are ignorant as to who they are. I thought they were a pretty big deal from minute one, when Pitchfork gave "Funeral" an unheralded 9.7?? I've seen them live too, but I just can't get over their sanctimoniousness and inflated sense of worth; they really are quite average.
Never before have I been so happy to be part of the brainwashed masses.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I am certain the heat surrounding Kanye will be significantly less by the time the next batch of nominees are decided. Granted, it is an album that both Pitchfork AND Rolling Stone considered the best of the year, which is a remarkable bit of synergistic communal skullduggery. I think Radiohead's new album will be nominated, but it will be considered too "slight" and insufficient, in light of previous efforts. A formula has already been forged for it, three days after the world heard it for the first time:

"The King of Limbs" is to "Amnesiac" as "In Rainbows" is to "Kid A"

which is a rather trite and simplistic way of putting it. They are above having to justify each new release in light of the previous: they will do whatever the hell they please, and that fearlessness is what makes them such a special band worth following.

In keeping with this thread, I am still surprised at Arcade Fire; not so much that they won, it somehow didn't surprise me. It was my Most Overrated Album of 2010, an inchoate mess of songs masquerading as some "Important Album", so of course it would be embraced by the brainwashed masses. Rather, I am surprised that even here in Canada, so many people are ignorant as to who they are. I thought they were a pretty big deal from minute one, when Pitchfork gave "Funeral" an unheralded 9.7?? I've seen them live too, but I just can't get over their sanctimoniousness and inflated sense of worth; they really are quite average.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's far too early to know how Radiohead's album is going to go over. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was roundly hailed by almost every single major publication as the great album of the year, and Radiohead has an uncanny talent of having each new album they make measured up against one from the past in a different way than most any other popular band out there.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Along the lines of the oddity of the Arcade Fire album of the year win...it was their first Grammy win period. They lost for both singles they've had nominated, and hadn't even won alternative album for the two previous (better) albums, losing both times to (one very good, one great album) Jack White. Likely only an indictment that this is not the Grammys turning the corner, just rejecting Eminem's comeback standout.

I think Arcade Fire will not let this affect them whatsoever, and fans of country, rap, pop, who claim to be upset by this outcome, will definitely not flock to check out this band, no matter how much they deserve just that...

however, speaking of kiss of death, considering his penchant for thinking (knowing) he's the best and NEEDING awards to fulfill, Kanye just shit his pants like crazy over the Radiohead news. It'd take a lot for me to hear an argument that in lieu of non-mainstream indie band taking album of the year over an even bigger rap star, Radiohead won't just straight crush Kanye's Twisted Fantasy.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I hope that winning the Grammy isn't the kiss of death for Arcade Fire. I've seen them twice and they're fantastic live. It's really something when the whole audience sings the "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ohs" on Wake Up.

And how great that Esperanza Spalding won! She played here a year or so ago in a quartet with McCoy Tyner. She's the real deal.

Is it possible the Grammys are becoming respectable? Nah, these wins are just a fluke.

Edited By danfrank on 1297751957
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The trailer song is "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire. It's as good an introduction to Arcade Fire as anything. Do check out Funeral. It's one of the most beloved albums of the past decade.

When the Grammys do spread the wealth, it's like they plan it out in advance.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know, Sabin. I have mostly forgotten the song on the Where the Wild Things Are trailer, though, the song in the film I remember liking (I don't think it was Arcade Fire).

For me, the musical highlight of the night (at least aurally) was Muse's Uprising.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

Sabin wrote:(The Original BJ @ Feb. 14 2011,12:44)
Interestingly, The Suburbs did NOT win Best Alternative Music Album, making it one of those odd Grammy outcomes, akin to Toy Story 3 winning Best Picture but losing Animated Feature.
The Grammys don't work like that. They have a very strange ideology of spreading the wealth that we don't see with any other award show. If anything, The Black Keys winning Best Alternative Music Album (great album, btw) should have been a tip-off that they had something else in mind. Again: I have no idea how they plan this shit out but they do. They are a wealth-spreading group. The problem is that they have a way of spreading the wealth largely to albums that suck.
That's not exactly true. Sure, they spread the wealth (I mean, handing out awards in over 100 categories, how could they not?), but there is almost always a logic to who gets what. What makes the Arcade Fire win an outlier is that they did not win the Best Album grammy in their particular genre. Almost always (probably at least 90% of the time) an Album, Record, or Song of the Year nominee is going to win in the non-marquee categories over songs/artists who weren't nominated in the top categories.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(The Original BJ @ Feb. 14 2011,12:44)
Interestingly, The Suburbs did NOT win Best Alternative Music Album, making it one of those odd Grammy outcomes, akin to Toy Story 3 winning Best Picture but losing Animated Feature.

The Grammys don't work like that. They have a very strange ideology of spreading the wealth that we don't see with any other award show. If anything, The Black Keys winning Best Alternative Music Album (great album, btw) should have been a tip-off that they had something else in mind. Again: I have no idea how they plan this shit out but they do. They are a wealth-spreading group. The problem is that they have a way of spreading the wealth largely to albums that suck.

(I have absolutely no idea why The Black Keys weren't nominated for Album of the Year. What? Like their album didn't get enough exposure? How many car ads need to feature songs from your album until you can edge past...Katy Perry?)

Barbara Streisand had clearly never heard of Arcade Fire before that night. This is the best Grammy surprise of my adulthood. Arcade Fire are great, wonderful people and there is so much joy in what they do. I couldn't be happier for them. If they give it to Kanye next year, they'll be on the best roll in their history.

(Sonic Youth @ Feb. 14 2011,12:29)
Were I forced to choose, I probably would have given it to Gaga. But since Arcade Fire speaks so specifically to my demo (if you leave age out of it)...It's also very gratifying since I've been a fan of theirs as far back as their debut. However I must admit that although song-for-song "The Suburbs" is good stuff, when listened to in one sitting it is a touch dull. I'm also struck by how much it sounds like an 80s band called The Chills. (Anyone know them?)

I thought we were leaving your age out of it. :)

'The Suburbs' isn't 'Funeral' but it's a beautifully melancholy album. It has less screaming, jagged highs, but I think it has a singular loveliness that coincides with Arcade Fire's strengths very nicely.

I mean, Recovery isn't even bad rap at this point, it's also bad pop. Lady Antebellum is incredibly boring stuff. Katy Perry's inclusion makes no earthy sense to me. And while I like Lady Gaga, the strength of her album is just very different from what Arcade Fire is attempting to do: singles vs. album. It just feels to me like the best possible choice of the albums...which is why it never crossed my mind that it would win.

(OscarGuy @ Feb. 14 2011,6:23)
If the song Arcade Fire played on the telecast is any indication, I have absolutely no interest in them.

"Month of May" for me is easily the worst song on 'The Suburbs' but also their most commercial. They have a enormous sound to them that might be better showcased on 'Funeral', but it's their single unless I'm mistaken. It's just an upbeat stand-alone that doesn't tie terribly woven into what the album is about. It has a good toe-tapping beat, but the rest of the album is so much better.

You know them, Wes. They wrote the song playing over the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are. Start with Funeral and get the rest of it.

Also: the idea of pairing Bob Dylan with Mumford & Sons and The Avett Brothers was an inspired one. Bob Dylan's already-shot-fifty-years-ago-voice was perfectly juxtaposed with the joyousness of the jamboree behind him...and he seemed like he was having a fantastic time to boot.

Edited By Sabin on 1297714340
"How's the despair?"
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

I was pleased (and confused) by the Arcade Fire win. It's a deserving choice (though certainly not as good as their first album), but considering the terrible picks from previous years, I'm not sure exactly how to feel about it. Too bad they chose to perform two of their most forgettable songs on the telecast.

I would compare their win to Kathryn Bigelow's Best Director win last year: everyone thinks it's meaningful, signficant somehow, but in reality it was a default choice: the Academy's favorite war film of 2009 just so happened to be directed by a woman; Gaga and Perry are singles artists, Eminem still pisses people off, and Lady Antebellum...other than their radio-friendly title track...is a giant snooze--Arcade Fire was likely to get the most widespread support (The Black Keys, who beat Arcade Fire for Best Alternative Album, are probably feeling like they got majorly jipped).

Janelle Monae was the highlight for me. Tightrope should have been a Record of the Year contender.

And it's going to be all downhill for Beiber, whether he had won or not.

Edited By Kova on 1297712056
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If the song Arcade Fire played on the telecast is any indication, I have absolutely no interest in them.

Of the performances I listened to (turned off that country girl towards the beginning, turned off Justin Bieber, turned off Drake and Rihanna...also turned off Mick Jagger), I have to say the song I liked most was the one by Muse, Uprising.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I don't follow the Grammys with more than a passing glance, but I sort of expected Arcade Fire to win because a) it seems like it was the best reviewed of the nominated albums, and b) it was the only one I'm familiar with. (You'll find my people down in the jazz, contemporary folk, alternative, pop standards categories.)

And Lewis Black won for Best Comedy Album -- awesome!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Were I forced to choose, I probably would have given it to Gaga. But since Arcade Fire speaks so specifically to my demo (if you leave age out of it) I can't help but connect to this win, my own "Social Network Wins Best Picture!" personal triumph of the year. I take back every bad thing I've ever said about the Grammys, until next year.

It's also very gratifying since I've been a fan of theirs as far back as their debut. However I must admit that although song-for-song "The Suburbs" is good stuff, when listened to in one sitting it is a touch dull. I'm also struck by how much it sounds like an 80s band called The Chills. (Anyone know them?)

And the Mick Jagger performance may have been the greatest thing I've ever seen. Fucking seriously! From the neck down, he's the real Benjamin Button.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1297665015
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”