Driving Miss Daisy Starring Angela Lansbury

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Driving Miss Daisy Starring Angela Lansbury

Post by FilmFan720 »

They release a few of these every year, but they usually only play single night engagements at each theatre. That would make then ineligible.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I wonder if it will be Oscar eligible, not that it has much of a chance of being nominated for anything.
Are filmed stage productions eligible? I've never read of any traction picked up for something like this.
Give'em Hell Harry! was a filmed stage production for which James Whitmore was nominated for best actor back in 1975
I don't think there's been a rule change preventing filmed stage plays from being nominated since. Another rule is that a film must play in L.A. for a minimum of one week. Check. Then there's the rule that producers must submit paperwork to the Academy for their production to be allowed to be considered. Could be, but so far this has been so far under the radar that even the IMDb. hasn't picked it up. Still, if this turns out to be a very week year for raved about performances, Lansbury and Jones could find themselves nominated. If by some fluke Lansbury should win she'd be in very good company - Henry Fonda and Paul Newman both won competitive Oscars the year after they won honorary ones.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I wanted to see this on stage but I was unwell at the time and simply wasn't up to it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I wonder if it will be Oscar eligible, not that it has much of a chance of being nominated for anything.
Are filmed stage productions eligible? I've never read of any traction picked up for something like this.
Give'em Hell Harry! was a filmed stage production for which James Whitmore was nominated for best actor back in 1975
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wonder if it will be Oscar eligible, not that it has much of a chance of being nominated for anything.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I saw this the other day. I'm all about seeing it. Just have to make sure I remember.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Driving Miss Daisy Starring Angela Lansbury

Post by Big Magilla »

Stage Version of Driving Miss Daisy, Starring Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones, Will Hit Screens in June

By Andrew Gans
08 May 2014

The 2013 Australian production of Alfred Uhry's Driving Miss Daisy, which starred Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones and was filmed for distribution, will arrive in cinemas in June.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning work was filmed by Broadway Near You, a company founded by Ed Greenberg and Lee deBoer. Tony winner Boyd Gaines was also part of the Australian company. He and Jones starred in the recent Broadway revival of Daisy.

Screenvision and Broadway Near You have partnered to make the stage production available in more than 500 movie theatres in the U.S. and Canada June 4-10.

Return to “2014”