2012 BAFTA Winners

For the films of 2012
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 2012 BAFTA Winners

Post by OscarGuy »

But haven't we always argued that it should be about the individual performance not that actress? Emmanuelle Riva may be an overall better actress than Lawrence, but we're not talking about overalls. We're talking about these specific performances.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I didn't mind Lawrence, but she was pretty miscast. She's got chemistry with Cooper, that's for sure, and can hold the screen well, but the work is just okay. I'll be disappointed if she wins the oscar for this.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:Have you even seen Silver Linings Playbook, ITALIANO?
Not yet, and this is why I'm talking about them as actresses - actresses I know well - rather than about their specific performances. And a European would never think that Jennifer Lawrence is a better actress than Emmanuelle Riva, never.

I've never found Lawrence to be a great actress honestly - not till now at least. She's absolutely unknown here, by the way, though I understand that she's very popular in the States. Good for her. And I can see what you mean when you compare her with the young Elizabeth Taylor - but let's not forget that Taylor won her first Oscar several years later, when she was older, more mature.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous to call Jennifer Lawrence an "It girl" when she has, in fact, turned in such wildly different, very good performances in such a short amount of time. There's nothing about her to indicate that she's going to be receding into the background of Hollywood any time soon. And I think her work in Silver Linings Playbook is intelligent and challenging. It's simply a great performance.

Emmanuelle Riva's work in Amour is, without a doubt, superb. Stunning. Haunting, even. She would be a worthy winner. But this isn't like Amanda Seyfriend being nominated for an Oscar, people.

Edited to add: Golden Girl vs. "It" Girl. Is there a difference? "It" Girl seems to me to imply that said actress is only en vogue for the moment and will quickly disappear when the new "It" Girl takes her place (like, a Sienna Miller type). I would never, for example, use "It" Girl in order to describe Elizabeth Taylor. For someone whose career spanned decades (as I could easily foresee Jennifer Lawrence's) the name makes no sense.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Have you even seen Silver Linings Playbook, ITALIANO?

I'm not saying that Lawrence is better than Riva. What I'm saying is that she's a wonderful actress with a brilliant career ahead of her. I'm sure you would have felt the same about Elizabeth Taylor after films like National Velvet and Lassie Come Home? The It Girl of the moment, not very talented, but pretty in all the ways Hollywood loves.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: Very happy for Riva, hopefully this will cement her Oscar chances over Hollywood's golden girl of the moment.
I'm also happy, though this was always going to go to Riva. They may speak English, but they are still European, and for a European into movies voting for Jennifer Lawrence over Emmanuelle Riva would be unthinkable. These two actresses are worlds apart, really. In America it's different, of course. So I guess that this means that Chastain has no chance anymore, Riva will probably finish in second place, and Hollywood's golden girl of the moment will sadly triumph.

Best Supporting Actor is also getting interesting.

As for Best Picture, let me still hope that Argo won't win... I know, I'm the only one now...
Only one hoping Argo[i/] doesn't win? I am most assuredly hoping that.

Best director is gonna be fascinating, though.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: Very happy for Riva, hopefully this will cement her Oscar chances over Hollywood's golden girl of the moment.
I'm also happy, though this was always going to go to Riva. They may speak English, but they are still European, and for a European into movies voting for Jennifer Lawrence over Emmanuelle Riva would be unthinkable. These two actresses are worlds apart, really. In America it's different, of course. So I guess that this means that Chastain has no chance anymore, Riva will probably finish in second place, and Hollywood's golden girl of the moment will sadly triumph.

Best Supporting Actor is also getting interesting.

As for Best Picture, let me still hope that Argo won't win... I know, I'm the only one now...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'll watch it tonight on BBC America. Very happy for Riva, hopefully this will cement her Oscar chances over Hollywood's golden girl of the moment.

The other awards were pretty much as I predicted (See CinemaSight's main site). I predicted the winner in 19 categories - 10 in first place, 9 as runners-up. I missed both screenplay awards and original music. I didn't participate in the short subjects.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Considering the fact Affleck has won every single directing award, it won't matter who will win the Oscar: the one who manages to do so would be a rarity considering how previosly unrewarded he will be.in fact, I would like to know who, from the actual nominees, have the edge in terms of precursors...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Best Film: Argo
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Reza
Laureate Emeritus