Re: The Mehs

Post by Sabin »

Mehs = gone.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Aside from the fatigue factor, this is one of the best Oscar years in a long time with more good movies in the running than there have been in a number of years.

Greatest hope: Jean-Louis Trintignant nominated for Best Actor
Greatest fear: Nicolde Kidman nominated for Supporting Actress
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I felt exactly the same way Oscarguy is feeling during the last 4 years. Everything was very predictable.

Not this year. We have a group of very interesting films and I think that everything is up for grabs, with the exception of probably best actor, but even having a scenario of seeing the first actor to win 3 times is exciting.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I really think this is one of the weakest-ever years. I'm struggling to find a fifth nominee for my personal choices in Actress, Actor, and a few other categories.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Speak for yourself! I for one am kind of excited because there's really no clear front-runner. It doesn't feel like it's a foregone conclusion. It's a great year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There was just as much predictability in Crash's year as this year though. And to be honest, if there's a year where something is going to surprise, it's this one.

It's really just my schedule. How I don't have as much time to watch movies and frustrating with my job. I almost like the Oscars coming at you like a juggernaut. The year's over, it's a deluge of nonsense, and then it's over. That's probably how it should be.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Sabin's feeling me. I never minded predictable years, nor unpredictable ones. To me, the issue is that I don't have time to breathe. I JUST finished up a massive amount of tabulating for the OFCS awards, I'm now doing the same for the OFTA. On top of that, the Oscar nominations are coming in the middle of the guild nominations announcements...I like the longer format...and you know what, I think we were destined to get more surprises and shocks when it was a February/March event instead of January/February. The shorter season A) doesn't give voters enough time to catch up and B) gives precursors MORE influence as voters will just look at what's already given and largely jump on the bandwagon for wont of a better choice. The days of Shakespeare in Love and Crash may be dead.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I actually am more excited about this race then I have been in the past few years...I haven't seen a lot of the possible nominees, although what I have seen I have really loved (Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook in particular, with some strong contenders below boards like How to Survive a Plague), but the vagueness of so many categories, the absence of a single front-runner yet and the overall quality of movies in contention both seen and unseen (there is no War Horse or Extremely Loud this year that I am dreading seeing) makes this a pretty exciting stretch.

The Globes are THIS Sunday? What the fuck?!?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree with Sonic. After a couple years of barely working up the enthusiasm to go out and see half of the movies (I still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, for example; Venus has been sitting on my DVR for 3 years), I've been excited about several of this year's offerings and have brought myself up-to-date on a bulk of those films in contention. I have a few dark horses in this race that I'd be thrilled to see pop up tomorrow morning (Phoenix, McConaughey and Dowd come to mind immediately). And combined with, as was previously stated, an unusually high-end set of movies this year--studio and smaller fare--I'm actually more excited this go-around than I have been in quite some time.

I've also found myself participating more on this board which feels good again. It's been almost exactly a year since Damien first got sick and I miss what he would've had to say about this year in particular. I remember the last text I sent to him was an incredulous one about the Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close nomination, a text he unfortunately was never able to answer. I know that he'd want all of us to continue on debating and discussing films and awards in this quiet, brilliant corner of the Internet.

Happy Nominations tomorrow, everyone.
Last edited by flipp525 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Meh, nothing. Although I'm not able to follow as closely as I like (I can't watch the announcement live), I haven't seen all the movies I need to, and I don't really have a movie or performance I'm aching to see win, this is one of the most interesting Oscar seasons in years. The controversies, the ever-changing dynamics of the race, and the unusually high quality of the movies themselves, or at least the high number of well-received films... let me have a year like this every year. The only damper is the early nominations announcement. I could stand to wait another ten days, and IMO the rush means it may not be a truly accurate reflection of the Academy's choices. That's what really sucks, the (mistaken?) notion that because of the condensed schedule even fewer AMPAS members have seen enough of the movies and performances than usual. But I've been enjoying this year and following the developments.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've been growing progressively disenchanted over the last few years, although alot of that has been during the winner-stage -- the way the TV awards have sucked the suspense out of the supporting categories the last few years has been especially disheartening. And I certainly would get behind a return to the older, more elongated schedule. (We used to get the nominations around Washington's Birthday, and no one bitched they were too late) I know AMPAS thought moving up the calendar was a way to pre-empt some of the attention the lesser awards bodies were getting, but I think the opposite has come about: it's all smushed so close together that it feels like one continuous show over six weeks, and the Oscars were the ones with stature, so they're the most diminished.

But...I'm actually kind of enthused about this year's contest (at least, as BJ says, until my hopes are crushed tomorrow morning). The combination of an apparently impressive crop of films (though I haven't seen most of them yet), significant disagreement about which ones will make it in at the margins, and a deadline so advanced that for once the Oscar nominations seem to be trumping the minor awards groups rather than vice versa...it all makes me more intrigued about tomorrow morning's results than I have been in a few years.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know how the awards show participants can keep up. Monday night was the NYFC awards presentation. Yesterday the DGA nomintions. This morning the BAFTA nomiantions. Tomorrow the Oscar nominations, followed by teh Broadcast Film Critics awards or whatever they're called now. Sunday are th Globes.

It's all too much at one time. It used to be awards season followed the holidys at a bit of a pace. I just tok down my Christmas decorations two days ago. It's been a very hectic holiday season. With one problem after another - plumbing problems - garage door problems - computer problems - what I need is a week of sleep. I may or may not be up at the crack of dawn like I had to be in california for 5:30 A.M. announcements. I'm not even going to set my alarm clock. I'm going to go to bed now, will probably wake up in a couple of hours and not be able to get back to sleep until 3 or 4 A.M. If I'm up at 8:30 I'm up at 8:30. If not, I'll catch up with the news later.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

That's something I've felt in recent years -- last year especially -- and I know it's something various people on here have discussed recently, that the whole awards circus has become such a hegemonized glut of sameness, with so few surprises by the time we get to the Oscars, and with so many candidates cemented in stone based on online hype, regardless of how well the actual film performs, critically and even commercially.

But...I will say, at this point in the season (before my dreams get crushed tomorrow morning), I'm kind of excited about how up-in-the-air a lot of categories seem to be. Seems like there's some real potential for the Academy to think for itself, given the fact that a lot of cool candidates seem within reach of nomination, should they find enough advocates.

Of course, should all the milquetoast options prevail instead, it could be a long almost-two months.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm meh. It's just all happening very quickly and I've never been busier.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

The Mehs

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not feeling it. Have I lost my interest in the Oscars? Or is this early announcement throwing off my energy? I am having trouble getting excited about the Oscars this year. I'm not sure why. I'll be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I'll be posting the nominations as soon as I have them. I'll be doing everything I've always done, but I see so many films and performances that I don't want to get nominated leading lists of contenders. I see films I love, but which aren't exactly everyone else's tastes being ignored. Have I just been doing this too long? Everyone seems to be better at the predicting game than I am, which doesn't help my mood much. I guess I'd just like to have something happen that I predicted and no one else did and I can feel like it's all worth it. But that may not be it at all. Maybe the Oscars are just coming while I'm in a depressive mood. I don't know.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”