6%
This Is 40
2%

Total votes: 49

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Your Best Adapted Screenplay Choices for 2012

Post by Sabin »

I've only seen Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Skyfall, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and The Sessions.

I think Argo is hampered by the fact that the mission itself just isn't very interesting, but it's certainly very entertaining and moves along very quickly with a strong balance between suspense and comedy. And some of the lines are the best of the year.

I think Beasts of the Southern Wild has a pretty thin narrative. It's not about writing at all.

I think a nomination for The Hobbit: An Unexpected can't be much unlike one for Hamlet.

I think Life of Pi has an uninspired script with a very boring first act.

I must see Lincoln again before I weigh in because I would never imagine this all but clean sweep of the screenplay awards. This must in part be Tony Kushner worship. I recall thinking it's not far gone from John Logan territory. I recall thinking that when Lincoln wasn't very written it was very well written.

The Sessions has a very solid screenplay that progresses very nicely along with humor. I just don't think The Sessions is quite inspired enough. The way that John Hawkes and Helen Hunt find themselves with stronger feelings for each other isn't really explored nor are any of the finer points of Helen Hunt's occupation. She really is a mystery.

Skyfall is full of cool ideas but Silva is a terrific character as is his plan. But it remains pretty abstract and the second half of the film loses an incredible amount of intensity.

Easily my favorite screenplay is the textbook written Silver Linings Playbook which is boisterously directed by David O. Russell. It's easily my choice, but I would consider picking Argo, Lincoln, and The Sessions though not enthusiastically. Maybe The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Cloud Atlas once I see them might replace one.
"How's the despair?"
bizarre
Assistant

Your Best Adapted Screenplay Choices for 2012

Post by bizarre »

Pick 5

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”