WGA Ineligibles

For the films of 2012
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: WGA Ineligibles

Post by dws1982 »

I think it's a great screenplay, but I really don't think Lincoln should be in the Adapted category. The passing of the thirteenth Amendment, which makes up the bulk of the film, probably takes up less than 1% of Team of Rivals. Thaddeus Stevens--probably the biggest role in the movie after that of Lincoln himself--is only mentioned two or three times in the entire book. Most of the actual story and structure of the film was created by Kushner. I do think it'll win the Adapted Screenplay Oscar though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
Well it is a union award and consequently subject to union rules. It would be more honest if they changed the award to "the best written script by a Guild member or non-member who follows guild guidelines to the letter". Inasmuch as the Guild has fairly stringent rules that are regularly dismissed by the Academy it really ought not be considered a precursor.
Or it would be more honest if they changed the title to "Best Screenplay Written by a Member of the Writer's Guild of America." I don't know how stringent they are. To the best of my knowledge, they only nominate members of the Writer's Guild. Quentin Tarantino has never paid in. It's the same thing as having, like, an end of the year party at your office and they give out awards for excellence in whatever the fuck you did that year. And then they give out the awards to the office down the street. Both offices may sell paper stock or whatever, but it's not the same.
It would be more like giving the office award to a temp employee who stood out.

The reason I didn't say simply "by a guild member" is that they do allow members of other guilds if they submit certain paperwork - probably precisely filled out forms. Some of the potential nominees this year, I understand, actually submitted paperwork but not the precise paperwork they were looking for.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Well it is a union award and consequently subject to union rules. It would be more honest if they changed the award to "the best written script by a Guild member or non-member who follows guild guidelines to the letter". Inasmuch as the Guild has fairly stringent rules that are regularly dismissed by the Academy it really ought not be considered a precursor.
Or it would be more honest if they changed the title to "Best Screenplay Written by a Member of the Writer's Guild of America." I don't know how stringent they are. To the best of my knowledge, they only nominate members of the Writer's Guild. Quentin Tarantino has never paid in. It's the same thing as having, like, an end of the year party at your office and they give out awards for excellence in whatever the fuck you did that year. And then they give out the awards to the office down the street. Both offices may sell paper stock or whatever, but it's not the same.

I'm thinking your nominees are:

Best Original Screenplay
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
John Gatins, Flight
Rian Johnson, Looper

Best Adapted Screenplay
Ben Lewin, The Sessions
David Magee, Life of Pi
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Chris Terrio, Argo

Zero Dark Thirty is the winner for Best Original Screenplay. Best Adapted Screenplay is probably going to go to Tony Kushner for Lincoln over Chris Terrio and David O. Russell.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ksrymy wrote:So the WGA is pretty much telling us Moonrise Kingdom is going to win right?
I assumed they were telling us that Zero Dark Thirty was going to win.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

So the WGA is pretty much telling us Moonrise Kingdom is going to win right?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

WGA Ineligibles

Post by Mister Tee »

The WGA, almost single-handedly maintaining suspense for the nomination process, has for one reason or another disqualified all of the following films from consideration for its award this year:

Les Miserables
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Amour
Middle of Nowhere
Seven Psychopaths
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Impossible
The Intouchables
Quartet
Take This Waltz
The Deep Blue Sea