Notable Firsts or Records

For the films of 2012
dbensics
Graduate

Re: Notable Firsts or Records

Post by dbensics »

Thanks tootpadu for the clarification.

My previous email has been modified to remove Melvyn Douglas.
tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

dbensics wrote:Name all performers who have a perfect record of Oscar wins-to-nominations, where the total nominations > 1.

All these performers are a perfect 2 for 2.

Helen Hayes
Luise Rainer
Vivien Leigh
Hilary Swank
Melvyn Douglas
Kevin Spacey
Christoph Waltz
Melvyn Douglas got another nomination in Lead for I Never Sang For My Father.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

When Christoph Waltz won for Django Unchained and Sally Field lost for Lincoln they switched places on this particular record list.

Name all performers who have a perfect record of Oscar wins-to-nominations, where the total nominations > 1.

All these performers are a perfect 2 for 2.

Helen Hayes
Luise Rainer
Vivien Leigh
Hilary Swank
Kevin Spacey
Christoph Waltz
Last edited by dbensics on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Another interesting statistic...

Life of Pi is the first film not rated PG-13 or R by the MPAA to win the Oscar for Best Director since Out of Africa (1985), a gap of 27 years.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Oscar year 1968 would also technically count in the list of six different winning pictures in the top six categories.

Oliver
Charly
The Lion in Winter
Funny Girl
The Subject was Roses
Rosemary's Baby

The tie between Hepburn and Streisand makes up for the double-win by Oliver for Best Picture and Best Director.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:Outside of the special film categories (Foreign Language Film, Animated, Documentary, and Short Subjects - and this year not for for Foreign Language Film), this is the first Oscars since the one for the films 1975 where no award went to a film with fewer than 4 nominations
This is a very interesting stat, and what strikes me especially about it is that the categories that made it possible -- esp. in the 80s -- were the specialty techs: visual effects, sound editing, makeup. This year, by fluke, we had four different films win those three categories; that each had at least 5 nominations seems off the charts unlikely.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Outside of the special film categories (Foreign Language Film, Animated, Documentary, and Short Subjects - and this year not for for Foreign Language Film), this is the first Oscars since the one for the films 1975 where no award went to a film with fewer than 4 nominations; and, it is the first time ever that every film lost in the majority of categories for which it was nominated.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Ang Lee's wildly checkered career with the directing branch/DGA/Academy voters seems worth a chapter all its own. He's got to be the only director to win the DGA and lose the Oscar, then lose the DGA and win the Oscar, yes?
It's even crazier than that...it's lose the DGA and not get nominated for the Oscar, then win the DGA and lose the Oscar, then win the DGA and win the Oscar, and then lose the DGA and win the Oscar!
Now he just has to pull an Affleck/Howard/Spielberg and win the DGA but not get nominated for the Oscar. :lol:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:Ang Lee's wildly checkered career with the directing branch/DGA/Academy voters seems worth a chapter all its own. He's got to be the only director to win the DGA and lose the Oscar, then lose the DGA and win the Oscar, yes?
It's even crazier than that...it's lose the DGA and not get nominated for the Oscar, then win the DGA and lose the Oscar, then win the DGA and win the Oscar, and then lose the DGA and win the Oscar!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:I don't know but is Christoph Waltz the first person to win more than Oscar for performances directed by the same director?
There's also Dianne Wiest/Woody Allen. Walter Brennan/William Wyler too...I guess Wyler replaced Howard Hawks on Come and Get It, after Hawks had a run-in with Sam Goldwyn, and there's debate over how much of the completed film was actually directed by Wyler.
Also Jack Nicholson/James L. Brooks, for Terms of Endearment and As Good As It Gets.

The Waltz win joins a select group of repeat supporting actors within a five-year span -- a group obviously including Walter Brennan, but also Anthony Quinn, Peter Ustinov and Jason Robards.

Both screenplay winners were for films not nominated for best director. In the two-screenplay-category era, the only other example I can find is 1995, where Sense and Sensibility and The Usual Suspects won.

Ang Lee's wildly checkered career with the directing branch/DGA/Academy voters seems worth a chapter all its own. He's got to be the only director to win the DGA and lose the Oscar, then lose the DGA and win the Oscar, yes?
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

OscarGuy wrote:I believe Waltz is the first actor to win two Supporting Actor awards in over 30 years (Jason Robards was the previous)...unless I'm forgetting someone obvious.
Melvyn Douglas won his second two years after Robards did though it was in a much larger timespan.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I believe Waltz is the first actor to win two Supporting Actor awards in over 30 years (Jason Robards was the previous)...unless I'm forgetting someone obvious.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous1980 wrote:I don't know but is Christoph Waltz the first person to win more than Oscar for performances directed by the same director?
There's also Dianne Wiest/Woody Allen. Walter Brennan/William Wyler too...I guess. Wyler replaced Howard Hawks on Come and Get It, after Hawks had a run-in with Sam Goldwyn, and there's debate over how much of the completed film was actually directed by Wyler.
Last edited by dws1982 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Brenda Chapman is the first female to win in the Best Animated Feature category. Leaving Cinematography the only category left where no female has won or even been nominated (apart from of course the male acting categories).

Ang Lee is the first person of color to win 2 Best Director Oscars.

I don't know but is Christoph Waltz the first person to win more than Oscar for performances directed by the same director?
dws1982
Emeritus

Notable Firsts or Records

Post by dws1982 »

Obviously: First tie in Sound Editing, and I think, the first tie in a technical category. Previous ties were in acting categories or in the Documentary/Short Films categories. At least until this year, ties in the Documentary/Short Films categories were far more likely to happen, from a mathematical standpoint, because the voting pool was much smaller.

Another obvious one (mentioned on the show last night): Daniel Day-Lewis is the first three-time Best Actor winner.

This is only the fourth year in Oscar history where the top six awards went to six different movies. The other years were 2005, 1956, and 1952. (This is the movie year, not the year the awards were given.) In all four cases, the Best Picture winner either tied for the most awards of the night, or saw another movie win the most awards. In all four cases, the Best Director winner was a multiple winner in that category, and they also won Director more than once for films that didn't win Best Director. (Ang Lee won 2005 and 2012 for movies that lost Best Picture; Stevens in 56, after winning in 51 for a movie that lost Picture; The Quiet Man was Ford's third directing Oscar for a movie that lost Picture.) The Best Supporting Actor winner in all four years would ultimately become a two-time Oscar winner.

I'll add some more if I think of anything. Feel free to add your own.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”