Site Admin

Re: Best Actor

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I just realized that Daniel Day-Lewis got the first acting Oscar to a Spielberg movie ever. Am I right?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Awful, awful, awful clip of Daniel Day-Lewis. The minute they started it, I thought UGH! THIS IS WHY WE FEARED THE WORST! So many other moments to choose from. An almost two and a half hour feature of moments, and this is what they choose.

Bradley Cooper's clip was pretty bad too, playing up his disease at its most histrionic and not his incredible comic timing. Any number of moments from his therapy would be better or the hilarious dinner scene or diner scene. Lame. I'll probably see Les Miserables this week but this clip and the night itself certainly highlighted Hugh Jackman as the unjustly jilted runner up nominee, the man who in a perfect world would not be up against Daniel Day-Lewis. By all accounts I've heard, he's easily the least impressive in the lineup. The minute I saw Flight, the minute I knew he was going to be using that courtroom scene mysteriously also featuring Melissa Leo, to which those who did not see the film would ask OH, MELISSA LEO'S IN THIS? To which the answer would be NOT REALLY. I wish they had featured his character's arrogance, that first meeting with Don Cheadle perhaps. And what else needs to be said about Joaquin Phoenix's amazing processing scene?
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:I think she opened during the reel.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. The way she was holding the envelope made it look like she hadn't opened it though.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In spite of Disney revitalizing the animation genre in the late 80s, early 90s, it has yet to win an award for Best Animated Feature since the award was first handed out. I don't count Brave because it's Pixar and while Disney may own Pixar, it's still a fairly independent company.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Was just thinking, Streep presented Lewis with his 3rd Oscar tonight. Do you think that next year, Lewis will return the favor and present Streep with her 4th Oscar for August: Osage County?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

What is the Disney curse?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Possible, but it would have to be an equally iconic performance to Lincoln...I don't know that he's going to get that opportunity...who else could he play with that level of prominence. (and, btw, the Spielberg curse is broken...however, the Disney curse remains intact.)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

well deserved - his best performance of his 3 wins -- do you think he could nab a 4th in the next 20 or so years?
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Great speech, and this time he really deserved it.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

7am here. Off to work.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

best speech of the night

(I'm off to bed!. it's 5am in my country)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think she opened during the reel...and the accountants didn't step out to correct her, so it must have been right.
Wesley Lovell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Quite a few rare moments this night. A tie in one category, a second win for a director of color, and a third lead actor Oscar. Definitely not your typical Academy Awards Ceremony.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Did she even open the envelope?

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”