Best Actress

For the films of 2012
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Best Actress

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:Pretty terrific clip of Quvenzhané Wallis. We all knew it was coming but it conveyed a strong range of character.
I would have loved it if they used the wordless scene at the end where she shares the fried gator with her dad. That was the moment I was convinced Wallis was actually acting rather than just being herself, and I assume it was the scene that clinched her the Oscar nomination. It really tied her whole performance together beautifully.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:Am I the only one who thought that Chastain's clip was...well, embarrassing? I haven't seen the movie, but with the engorged veins on her neck, that thinning hyper-red hair, her almost equal emphasis on every word in that monologue—it seemed very overacted.
Her character literally believes her purpose in life is to capture or kill Bin Laden, she has reason to believe she is close to finding him, she has been mocked or ignored by her male coworkers and supervisors, and she is sick and tired of being treated like a secretary rather than a fellow CIA agent. That is exactly the reaction any human being should have in response to being treated the way she has. The clip I wished they had used is the very last moment of the film, though I understand why they could not.

I really thought they were going to use the football monologue for Lawrence's clip. It was funny how SILVER LINING'S PLAYBOOK is billed as a comedy, but the clips they used for all four actors were some of the most intense moments in the movie.

I forget, do the studios submit the clips to be used, or does the Academy choose them?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Sabin wrote:
Pretty terrific clip of Quvenzhané Wallis. We all knew it was coming but it conveyed a strong range of character.
What a joke.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sabin, give The Impossible a chance... I avoided it during its theatrical run despite recomendations from almost every person I know. After nominations morning I still avoided it but eventually, a few nights ago, I watch it and regret missing it on a theater.Technically, the film is impressive. It is of course a drama, a big one, but it s not a Hallmark movie. The kids, specially the big one, did great. And Watts is far from an embarassing nominee. Not a bad film...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Am I the only one who thought that Chastain's clip was...well, embarrassing? I haven't seen the movie, but with the engorged veins on her neck, that thinning hyper-red hair, her almost equal emphasis on every word in that monologue—it seemed very overacted.

The Academy showed great taste in nominating Riva this year. A win for her was always going to be a struggle. I'd venture to say that the voting could have been close in that category. I'm sort of shocked that they showed the scene that they did for her. Just an utterly disturbing moment in the film.

I think Naomi Watts' performance in The Impossible is gut-wrenching and the moment they chose to highlight of it was a great one.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

She's pretty charming. Not the best clip.

The minute I saw Jessica Chastain's I'm-going-to-HIT-every-note-OF! THIS! SPEECH!-like-thisistheonlythinginthisproceduralthatcouldwinmeanOscar, I said kudos. There's your clip. You're no longer a credible human being but you got your Oscar clip. That was the most of The Impossible I will be seeing. Emmanuel Riva's clip probably did more to discourage people from watching Amour than anything else that night. SHE CAN'T DRINK. SHE WON'T DRINK. AND THAT BAD MAN HITS HER!

Pretty terrific clip of Quvenzhané Wallis. We all knew it was coming but it conveyed a strong range of character.
"How's the despair?"
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

So a slate of nine for best picture and all but Beasts wins something. I wanted Emmanuelle, of course, but this was inevitable.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Actress

Post by OscarGuy »

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”