Best Director

For the films of 2012
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Best Director

Post by OscarGuy »

Cleopatra, Rolo...if he directs it.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what you mean by young generation. I'd still consider the likes of Darren Aronofsky and Paul Thomas Anderson the younger generation and although Joe Wright isn't beloved by many on this board, he's still a fine director. Stephen Chbosky has promise and Edgar Wright has a fairly strong start.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dws1982 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:I would add this is the third year in a row a foreigner has won Best Director...Prior to that, most of the directors were first generation immigrants, but they were still U.S. citizens...Are film schools not producing the next generation of great directors?
Ang Lee is actually a product of NYU Film School, and a naturalized U.S. citizen.
Yet, as he has made clear in both of his Best Director Oscar speeches, his heart belongs to Taiwan. I bet China is super pissed one of the most famous directors in the world is Taiwanese, and someone who clearly does not consider Taiwan a part of China.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013 ... film-fans/

As for your question HarryGoldfarb, I worry the future of film making in the U.S. is going to be nothing but sequels, remakes, reboots, and ripoffs. I know there have been bad movies since the dawn of Hollywood, and there always will be, but I just feel like the art of cinema in this country is being lost. Obviously, we still have plenty of talented directors in our country, whether they be super stars like Spielberg or outsiders like Bigelow. However, when people praise J.J. Abrams as one of the greatest directors of his generation, I want to weep. I know there are folks on this board who are probably very happy with the majority of the films produced by U.S. directors, but I find myself pretty disappointed. Every country has its fair share of hacks, but I just wonder why so many of the most famous and powerful young directors in this country are so awful. Clearly the Academy is not all that impressed with what they see either, since they have given the Best Director Oscar to an unprecedented number of foreigners.

I am just happy the Oscars once again recognized the incredible talent of the brilliant Ang Lee. Now if only one of his films could win Best Picture, I would be even happier.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

rolotomasi99 wrote: I am not sure if it is just a bizarre coincidence, or a troubling trend. Are film schools not producing the next generation of great directors?
Rolo, why would it be a "troubling trend"?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:I would add this is the third year in a row a foreigner has won Best Director...Prior to that, most of the directors were first generation immigrants, but they were still U.S. citizens...Are film schools not producing the next generation of great directors?
Ang Lee is actually a product of NYU Film School, and a naturalized U.S. citizen.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Don't forget George Stevens: A Place in the Sun and Giant.
Too late, I already forgot him. I had a sneaking suspicion I left someone out. :cry:
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I would add this is the third year in a row a foreigner has won Best Director. Actually, the new century has brought us seven years with foreign directors (Polanski, Jackson, Lee, Boyle, Hooper, Hazanavicius, and Lee again) winning vs six years for U.S. directors (Soderbergh, Howard, Eastwood, Scorsese, the Coens, and Bigelow) winning. In the 90s you had 3 foreigners, the 80s had 3, and the 70s had 1. Prior to that, most of the directors were first generation immigrants, but they were still U.S. citizens. I am not sure if it is just a bizarre coincidence, or a troubling trend. Are film schools not producing the next generation of great directors?

I am just so happy Ang Lee won. It was definitely the happiest Oscar win of the night.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't forget George Stevens: A Place in the Sun and Giant.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ang Lee becomes the third two-time Best Director winner to win for directing without his film winning for Best Picture. Frank Borzage (7th Heaven; Bad Girl) was the first. John Ford (The Informer; The Grapes of Wrath) was the second, although his film did win the third time he won (for How Green Was My Valley) but not the fourth (for The Quiet Man).
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The standing ovation floored me, though. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy and I enjoy his movies, but I didn't expect that level of respect to be honest.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

OscarGuy wrote:It's just a bizarre set of winners is all.

The Academy defies tradition on a number of occasions with these awards.
I'm not so sure... after all the surprises in the nominees list, the evening went as expected for the most part. Ang Lee's richly-deserved win was the high-point for me, but even he was seen as having a fair shot so it hardly qualifies as a surprise.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's just a bizarre set of winners is all.

The Academy defies tradition on a number of occasions with these awards.
Wesley Lovell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:It's a really fucked up night is what it is.
Are you saying Ang Lee winning is fucked up, or just the night in general? I am so happy for Lee (who is still the only person of color to win in this category). I hope he goes on winning, and perhaps one day he will have a Best Picture win to go with his awards for directing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a really fucked up night is what it is.
Wesley Lovell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

For a moment i thought we would get 4 pictures with 3 awards each (Lincoln winning director and actor, and asuming Argo will win BP). What is this?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Amazing! A real shock... Joining the selected group of 2 Academy Awards but probably with no BP? And preventing Spielberg to get his third one (on nominations morning it looked so easy to achieve!)

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”