In Memoriam

For the films of 2012
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: In Memoriam

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Academy posted a 100+ person slide show on their website that includes just about anyone you could gripe was left off the In Memoriam...

http://oscar.go.com/photos/85th/show/in ... rman-alden
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:Martin Richards, who won best picture for Chicago, was also left out from the In Memorian Segment

Funny that Zadan and Meron (producers of the oscar telecast) were the executive producers of Chicago :twisted:
Chicago was Marty Richards' only film credit in the past 30 years. I'm sure he'll be in the Tonys In Memoriam; he was a far bigger presence there. (He was a very nice man, by the way -- we knew him from when Kathi did Grand Hotel)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MovieWes wrote:I don't understand Adam Yauch's inclusion. I know he was one of the big deaths of last year, but I would expect to see him during the Grammys 'In Memoriam' segment more than I would the Oscars. I only know him as one of the members of the Beastie Boys, not for whatever work he did in film.
He's one of the founders of Oscilloscope, an independent film company and distributor (credits include The Messenger and We Need to Talk About Kevin). I was surprised by his inclusion but his contribution to film is actually more significant than Aaliyah, Tupac Shakur, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston who were all included in past In Memoriams.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Martin Richards, who won best picture for Chicago, was also left out from the In Memorian Segment

Funny that Zadan and Meron (producers of the oscar telecast) were the executive producers of Chicago :twisted:
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I don't understand Adam Yauch's inclusion. I know he was one of the big deaths of last year, but I would expect to see him during the Grammys 'In Memoriam' segment more than I would the Oscars. I only know him as one of the members of the Beastie Boys, not for whatever work he did in film.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Also Ann Rutherford.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Actually two more oversights come to mind.

Joyce Redman. Surely two Oscar nominations count for something, even if the where nearly half a century ago?

Oshima Nagisa. The last of the legendary film directors from the golden years of Japanese cinema.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:I love that Andrew Sarris and Chris Marker made the cut.
I'll second Chris Marker and very pleased to see Erland Josephson remembered.

I think Andy Griffith was a terrible oversight and though she was only a minor performer, Susan Tyrell.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I love that Andrew Sarris and Chris Marker made the cut.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

No. That's what you get when you grow up in Finland. I have seen the film Odd Couple, and I knew that there was a TV series, but I have never seen a single episode. I don't think I have ever heard of Quincy before.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You've never heard of Jack Klugman before? TV's The Odd Couple...Quincy?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I have never even heard of Klugman before. Is it possible that Klugman was an Academy member while Griffith was not?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Heksagon wrote:I suppose they figured that Griffith was mainly a television actor.
But...A Face in the Crowd alone is a pretty major contribution.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So was Klugman...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I suppose they figured that Griffith was mainly a television actor.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”