Best Supporting Actress

For the films of 2012
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Best Supporting Actress

Post by flipp525 »

I'm consistently annoyed by her and I didn't want her to win the Oscar...which is exactly what I said below and on Facebook.

I am interested to see her take on Judy Garland, a character whose desperate need to be liked might be in Hathaway's wheelhouse.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow, Flipp...that's not the impression I got at all from you on Facebook. You almost sounded like you couldn't stand Hathaway or her win.

I still think she was the only redeeming part of the movie Valentine's Day.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Interesting tidbit, BJ. Personally, I don't think she's a diva at all. I just find her super-earnestness really annoying. She really is that desperate Rachel Berry theater geek we all knew in high school. That's just who she is. I think she actually happens to be a great actress, and I think that her win for Les Miz is not an embarrassing one at all (I like it when small/short roles win Oscars even if the promotion of this film seemed, at times, to make the whole production about her one moment.) Would I have voted for her out of those five women? No. But I’m not going to hate on her win.

I am about ready for her to take a long break though, which is not something I'd say about Jennifer Lawrence at this point.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

My friends who were in the Oscars Les Mis ensemble said that Anne Hathaway was nothing but sincere, genuine, and lovely to people during the entire process of preparing for the show. They said she was completely down-to-earth and visited with everyone during rehearsals, and didn't have a hint of the self-absorption many have seen in her speeches.

I figure, for sake of balance, I should share that, to counter some of the more widespread claims about her diva reputation.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Slightly inaccurate. She was complaining about how he had threatened in the past to send her to the asylum after their first son died and that if he let their eldest son go off to war and he died in the war, she would have to put her in an asylum (suggesting she'd go mad to lose another).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Sabin wrote:I'm having a difficult time recalling Sally Field's clip.
She was on the ground, dress poofed about the floor, arguing about her and Abe's son going to war and how she'd go to an asylum if he went.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think more highly of Anne Hathaway than most people here, I think. She's incredibly talented. I still haven't seen Les Miserables, but I've seen the song and...yup, this clip does it justice. Dull speech. The party I was at kept talking about her necklace and dress. They looked fine to me. She's really pushing for that Audrey Hepburn thing, isn't she?

Amy Adams' clip is the best of the lineup easily. This is one of the few clips where she is genuinely speaking her mind in privacy and even more so than the clips for Best Supporting Actor and Best Actor it makes The Master look like the trippy, heated film we were hoping it would be. Based on the clips only, I would think she was robbed, and watching it again I was rooting for an upset. I'm having a difficult time recalling Sally Field's clip. Helen Hunt's clip served as a reminder of how strong and rich her role was and what a mistake it was that she chose to use that accent. Jacki Weaver's clip demonstrated the difficulty of finding a clip that showcases Jacki Weaver in Silver Linings Playbook. She would be my choice of the nominees but man, it's hard to make that case.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

all 2008 best actress nominees are now oscar winners
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

What?!?! Really?!?!

Wish they had given this first and held Supporting Actor until now
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

boo --- what a boring forgettable speech
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Supporting Actress

Post by OscarGuy »

Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables
Wesley Lovell

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”