85th Oscar Ceremony

For the films of 2012
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: 85th Oscar Ceremony

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:. She supposedly wants to become a dentist if this acting thing doesn't work out because she likes to see people smile.

She certainly has a good publicist.

No, I mean, I couldnt stand her at the Oscars. Her performance in the movie didnt exactly impress me, but for example unlike Jessica Chastain she HAD a character to play, and she was more spontaneous than Jennifer Lawrence in HER movie.

As for those jokes... My God, guys - relax! You are all too repressed, really - does being politically correct have this effect on people? What's wrong about a song on actresses showing their breasts?! One may not laugh, but seriously, get offended for the REAL problems in society.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Uri wrote: I was, however, not that comfortable with these two catholic brats, Mark Whalberg and the silly stuffed toy alter ego of the host having a banter about being Jewish in Hollywood, a bit which would have been perfectly fine (ok, had it been really funny) had it been done by Sacha Baron Cohen.
Steve Martin is not Jewish either but he made a joke a couple of years ago of a similar vein.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Well, at the end, it’s all about the context. The boobs number would have had a totally different impact had it been done exactly the same, but by Ellen Degeneres and not by a smug fraternity guy. I wasn't offended by it, but then again, I wouldn't be arrested for exposing my boobs (which, unfortunately I do have) in public, so I really, like (again, unfortunately) anyone else on this board, shouldn't have a fully legitimate say on the matter. I was, however, not that comfortable with these two catholic brats, Mark Whalberg and the silly stuffed toy alter ego of the host having a banter about being Jewish in Hollywood, a bit which would have been perfectly fine (ok, had it been really funny) had it been done by Sacha Baron Cohen.

p.s. And if you are going to do a boobs number, be a man enough (pan intended) and do it live, so we get Charlize Theron’s and Naomi Watts’ REAL reactions, otherwise it’s just a childish, masturbatory (yes, pan intended) silly shtick.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think all of those involved in the We Saw Your Boobs skit, at least the ones with reaction shots, were in on it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, I mean, it may not have been very funny, but it certainly wasn't offensive, come on...

By the way, I couldn't stand that child...
In the film, or at the Oscars? I wasn't a fan of her "performance", but the kid is cute and seems to have her head scrwed on right. She supposedly wants to become a dentist if this acting thing doesn't work out because she likes to see people smile. She's set to star in the remake of Annie, which will require her to recite lines and sing, not just play-act, so should get a good idea of how good an actress she really is from that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My post seems to have disappeared.

The Wallis joke was a jibe on Clooney, the Adele Joke a jibe on Reed. I don;t know about all these upset bloggers and columnists, but the women in "We Saw Your Boobs" song can cry all teh way ot the bank if they have to.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm not much kinder towards American grown-ups... But yes, it's true, I generally find American children SO FAKE.I can't stand them. Those in movies, I mean. Both the actors and the characters they play. Absolutely unbearable.

They get better when they become adult, actually.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

ITALIANO wrote:By the way, I couldn't stand that child...
You never did meet a(n American) child you didn't dislike, did you?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, I mean, it may not have been very funny, but it certainly wasn't offensive, come on...

By the way, I couldn't stand that child...
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:
flipp525 wrote:And his on-air joke, unfortunately, did sexualize a child.
Actually, not if you can add.
WTH?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:And his on-air joke, unfortunately, did sexualize a child.
Actually, not if you can add. Wallis is 9. In 16 years she will be 25. The joke was not referring to her now, but in 16 years from now.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:The joke, referencing Quvenzhane Wallis, was: "To give you an idea just how young she is -- it'll be 16 years before she'll be too old for Clooney".

For me, this was clearly a dig at Clooney's propensity for dating young starlets. It wasn't a whole lot different from a years-ago Whoopi Goldberg joke, "Be careful about drinking too much tonight. Last year, a producer accidentally went home with someone his own age". But to a vociferous crowd, it "sexualized" Wallis; according to them, it raised a vivid picture of Clooney having his way with the girl right now.

My reaction to that is, it tells me alot more about YOUR psyche than McFarlane's. I'd thought this was strictly the reaction of the looking-to-take-offense crowd; it certainly had never crossed my mind. But I've seen this reaction even from some people I know who don't normally fall into that category.
I think The Onion tweeting that Wallis was a "cunt" didn't really help matters. And his on-air joke, unfortunately, did sexualize a child. Whoopi's joke landed because it wasn't attached to any specific producer/starlet.

One of the things I found most lacking about MacFarlane's hosting was the lack of celebration of the nominees. It always seemed to go back to him, not the actors and performances the night is designed to celebrate (and, quite honestly, I'd never even heard of him until a couple of months ago as I'm sure was the case with several members of the television audience.)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm flattered you guys are all expectant about the Who'll Be Back, but sit tight -- it probably won't show up till the weekend.

I know I already went pretty well through the McFarlane reaction, but the article Harry posted -- and lots I've read around the web -- makes me want to return to it, because I find the dichotomy it's aroused fascinating.

It really seems to come down to one joke -- a joke I and many others found utterly harmless, but a large group seems to feel deserves the humor equivalent of the death penalty.

The joke, referencing Quvenzhane Wallis, was: "To give you an idea just how young she is -- it'll be 16 years before she'll be too old for Clooney".

For me, this was clearly a dig at Clooney's propensity for dating young starlets. It wasn't a whole lot different from a years-ago Whoopi Goldberg joke, "Be careful about drinking too much tonight. Last year, a producer accidentally went home with someone his own age". But to a vociferous crowd, it "sexualized" Wallis; according to them, it raised a vivid picture of Clooney having his way with the girl right now.

My reaction to that is, it tells me alot more about YOUR psyche than McFarlane's. I'd thought this was strictly the reaction of the looking-to-take-offense crowd; it certainly had never crossed my mind. But I've seen this reaction even from some people I know who don't normally fall into that category.

Anyway, the joke seems a line of demarcation. For those who took it badly -- like the one who wrote Harry's article -- McFarlane is the demon, and everything he said should be interpreted in the worst possible way. Thus, the Rex Reed/Adele line was meant to ridicule Adele's weight -- rather than, as many of us thought, to trash Reed for his grotesque criticism of Melissa McCarthy. The mention of Jack Nicholson's house inevitably evoked Roman Polanski (naturally; it was only 35 YEARS AGO!). The reference to Salma Hayek demeaned women as meant to be seen and not listened to (conveniently overlooking that Javier Bardem was mentioned in the same breath).

I've long resented the use of the term politically correct. It seems over recent decades it's been hijacked by people who want to sneer at anything progressive. But here I find it applies in the original sense. The old saw that feminists have zero sense of humor seems to be getting a workout this week, and I don't think it helps anyone who's truly interested in the cause.

McFarlane actually had the best tweet yesterday, summing up alot of the hypocrisy: "Coming up: Seth McFarlane's Disgusting Objectification of Women. But, First: Our List of the Best and Worst Dressed"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

You're probably and hopefully correct, his Ice Storm is a towering achievement and was outside of his Oscar foursome. I guess the immediate reaction feels as though he was a sub, an alternate since they "botched" the Affleck situation and just couldn't love the Spielberg outside DDL. This will likely lead to us remembering the final speech that Affleck was still able to give as the years best director, and thus "competing" for a third seems much less likely.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ang Lee will be back and likely quite a lot. I expect him to compete for a third trophy at some time in the near future.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”