Categories One-by-One: Director

For the films of 2012
rudeboy
Adjunct

Re: Categories One-by-One: Director

Post by rudeboy »

I don't recall the last time my two favourite films of the year scored nominations here and while Ang Lee's work is marginally my favourite, had I a vote I'd probably cast it Haneke's way and contribute towards what would be truly an historic victory. It's well within the real of possibility although I think he's probably running at best fourth behind the three 100 million plus contenders. A tight, tight race... my gut says Spielberg might just edge it for a movie that does not seem to be one that would, in a regular year, win director without best picture. But anything can happen here.

I hope this year they get best actor - pretty much sealed-up - out of the way before the other biggies. The one-two punch of actress and director should make for a few minutes of thrilling TV.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Director

Post by anonymous1980 »

With the front-runner for this award, Ben Affleck, not even nominated, the contents of this envelope will be more of a nail-biter than Picture. History and statistics show that since the DGA awards began in 1949, no director has ever won this without at least a nomination so if Michael Haneke, David O. Russell or Benh Zeitlin manage to win, it's gonna be a historical record. With this in mind, the race seems to be between Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee. Many people seem to dismiss/overlook Life of Pi as any sort of a threat and underestimate Lee's chances in this race. The success of Life of Pi is a credit to Ang Lee's direction while Tony Kushner and Daniel Day-Lewis seem to overshadow Spielberg's achievement as a director. I think it's a close race but I'm going out on a limb and predict Ang Lee. Spielberg wouldn't surprise me though.

Russell or Haneke pulling off shock wins, I have a feeling, is actually quite possible.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”