A sneak peak at three Oscar ballots

For the films of 2012
flipp525
Laureate

Re: A sneak peak at three Oscar ballots

Post by flipp525 »

From Awards Circuit. Looks like a little Anne Hathaway fatigue has set in. Could the big shocker of the night be a Jacki Weaver upset?

VOTER #1 – MALE

Best Picture (Full Preferential Ballot)

1.Argo
2.Silver Linings Playbook
3.Beasts of the Southern Wild
4.Life of Pi
5.Lincoln
6.Django Unchained
7.Amour
8.Les Miserables
9.Zero Dark Thirty
“I am so upset that I cannot vote for Ben Affleck in Director. I think it’s incredibly stupid that if a film wins Best Picture and loses Director, that the Director is not on that ticket. I know that Ben is listed as a Producer but I’m thinking when Gladiator won Best Picture. How can Ridley Scott sit there while these guys go up there and collect Oscars for MY movie. Doesn’t make sense.”

Best Director – David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook

“Only because I can’t vote for Ben Affleck, David O. Russell is the next best thing of any director this year.”

Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

“He IS Lincoln. How can you not pick him?”

Best Actress – Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook

“Jennifer was just terrific. Everything about Silver Linings Playbook that works is because of her.”

Best Supporting Actor – Alan Arkin for Argo

“I picked Alan Arkin…I thought he was absolutely hilarious.”

Best Supporting Actress – Sally Field for Lincoln

“I have a hard time with the Hathaway thing. I thought she wasn’t in it long enough to warrant an Oscar. What Sally had with Daniel was very special…”

Best Original Screenplay – John Latins for Flight

“No comment.”

Best Adapted Screenplay – David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook

“David O. Russell for sure.”

Best Film Editing – William Goldenberg for Argo

“Simply the best.”

Best Original Score – Thomas Newman for Skyfall

“I thought his work was superb. Stuck out and was one of his best music compositions yet.”

VOTER #2 – MALE (didn’t want to give any reasoning to protect identity.)

Best Picture – Life of Pi

Best Director – Ang Lee for Life of Pi

Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

Best Actress – Emmanuelle Riva for Amour

Best Supporting Actor – Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress – Amy Adams for The Master

Best Original Screenplay – Michael Haneke for Amour

Best Adapted Screenplay – Benh Zeitlin and Lucy Alibar for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Film Editing – Life of Pi

Best Original Score – Mychael Danna for Life of Pi

VOTER #3 – FEMALE

Best Picture (Preferential ballot order)

1.Silver Linings Playbook
2.Django Unchained
3.Argo
4.Life of Pi
5.Beasts of the Southern Wild
6.Amour
7.Zero Dark Thirty
8.Les Miserables
9.Lincoln
“Is it going to be bad if I say I still haven’t made it through Lincoln yet? (laughs) It’s soooo boring and soooo long and Day-Lewis’ voice bothered me.”

Best Director – David O. Russell

“How funny was that movie? Wait…nevermind, how sad was that movie? I cried like a baby…”

(when I asked what does Russell have to do with it)

“He directed the movie. Gotta give the guy some credit.”

Best Actor – Bradley Cooper

“He was so good. How could you not give it to him?”

Best Actress – Jennifer Lawrence

“That scene in the diner (in a shrieky voice) oh my god!”

Best Supporting Actor – Robert DeNiro

“He’s my favorite guy of all-time and I’ve never been able to vote for him before because I wasn’t a voter when he won last time. No contest.”

Best Supporting Actress – Jacki Weaver

“I hated Les Miz so there ain’t no way I’m voting for Hathaway so she’s out. Sally’s in a boring movie so she’s out. And you know what, I wasn’t really impressed with Helen Hunt or Amy Adams. Jacki Weaver’s in my favorite movie so I’m going to throw it her way.”

(asked if there’s someone else she would have put in the lineup that she would vote for over Jacki Weaver)

“Oh my God! YES! I absolutely loved Judi Dench in the Best Exotic movie. I wanted her to win.”

Best Original Screenplay – Moonrise Kingdom

“So cute and I love Wes Anderson.”

Best Adapted Screenplay – Silver Linings Playbook

“Are you really surprised Clayton? Haha…Come on. How weird would it be if here I was like ‘oh no let me give it to someone else.”

Best Film Editing – Silver Linings Playbook

“Are you really asking? You know what it is.”

Best Original Score – Anna Karenina

“I loved Anna Karenina. I couldn’t believe it didn’t get nominated for Best Picture. I had to give it a little love somewhere.”

VOTER #4 – MALE

Best Picture – Silver Linings Playbook

“I don’t remember what I put #2 but I think it was Argo if I’m not mistaken.”

Best Director – Michael Haneke

Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Original Screenplay – Amour

(on why SLP was on so many of his categories)

“It was the feel good movie of the year. I loved every second of it and if it wasn’t for Daniel Day-Lewis becoming Lincoln the way he did then Bradley Cooper would have had my vote too.”

VOTER #5 – FEMALE (no reasons given, just the major categories and what was last on her ballot)

Best Picture – Silver Linings Playbook (Beasts of the Southern Wild was #9)

Best Original Screenplay – Django Unchained

VOTER #6 – MALE (off the bat, she HATED Argo)

Best Picture

1.Django Unchained
2.Silver Linings Playbook
3.Zero Dark Thirty
4.Beasts of the Southern Wild
5.Amour
6.Les Miserables
7.Lincoln
8.Life of Pi
9.Argo

Best Supporting Actor – Christoph Waltz

Best Supporting Actress – Sally Field

“She was so funny. I think it’s great she’s doing things like this again.”

Best Original Screenplay – Django Unchained

Best Film Editing – Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Score – Skyfall

Best Cinematography – Skyfall

(asked him if he knew who Roger Deakins was)

“Yeah. Doesn’t everybody?“
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is all Harvey. I agree. De Niro is making all kinds of rounds for this performance, which makes him a potential 3-peat threat. Wouldn't it be interesting (though in infuriating to some) if it was De Niro and not Day-Lewis that ended up the three-time Oscar winning actor from this year's telecast?

Regardless of Harvey's blatant and frequently disgusting campaign tactics, whether we want to admit it or not, any light shined on mental illness is a positive step forward. Sure, there might be other parents of mentally-ill children who could have the same knowledge as David O. Russell, but you know what. Russell is a far more recognizable name than those parents. Sometimes, it takes a prominent actor or director or spokesman to shed light on causes and bring them to national attention. Had this been done outside of the campaigning window, we would have all been supportive of any positive attempts to deal with mental health in this country. That it's happening at this time makes it seem like flippant, careless campaigning.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No, it's all Harvey. Rumor has it he's flying Bradley in to New York to survey the damage from the blizzard,
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:And this constant shilling for Silver Linings Playbook has become more annoying than the film itself. One of today's big "news" headlines is that Bradley Cooper and David O. Russell are going to meet with Joe Biden to discuss mental illness. Why? Why aren't Denzel Washington and Robert Zemeckis and Joaquin Phoenix and Paul Thomas Anderson meeting with him as well? Because they don't have Harvey Weinstein behind them?
Part of it could be because Silver Linings Playbook deals with a type of mental illness that isn't touched upon in Hollywood films often, and is being discussed these days a little more in the national conversation, particularly in the wake of the rash of shootings over the past few years. It is a little more timely and interesting than the way illness is perceived in those other films.

Plus, Russell's son has dealt with mental illness his entire life, so Russell also comes to the conversation as a father dealing with these issues. Which is an important aspect to bring into the conversation.

Then again, I just don't see where the hatred of this film (and Beasts of the Southern Wild) comes from, so what do I know.
I do not think you have to hate SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK to find the meeting with the Vice President ridiculous. No matter how brilliant I may think ZERO DARK THIRTY is, I would be outraged if Kathryn Bigelow and Jessica Chastain met with the White House to discuss Obama's illegal use of drones to kill U.S. citizens. I doubt Russell knows any more about mental illness than any other parent with a child suffering from similar issues, and Bradley Cooper is just an actor who played a character in a movie. Since when does that qualify him to speak with the Vice President on such an important topic? It reminds me of that old joke: "I may not be a doctor, but I play one on TV." :?

Then again, maybe Biden just has a huge crush on Bradley Cooper like the rest of us, and just needed an excuse to meet him so he could stare into those dreamy eyes. :lol:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:And this constant shilling for Silver Linings Playbook has become more annoying than the film itself. One of today's big "news" headlines is that Bradley Cooper and David O. Russell are going to meet with Joe Biden to discuss mental illness. Why? Why aren't Denzel Washington and Robert Zemeckis and Joaquin Phoenix and Paul Thomas Anderson meeting with him as well? Because they don't have Harvey Weinstein behind them?
Part of it could be because Silver Linings Playbook deals with a type of mental illness that isn't touched upon in Hollywood films often, and is being discussed these days a little more in the national conversation, particularly in the wake of the rash of shootings over the past few years. It is a little more timely and interesting than the way illness is perceived in those other films.

Plus, Russell's son has dealt with mental illness his entire life, so Russell also comes to the conversation as a father dealing with these issues. Which is an important aspect to bring into the conversation.

Then again, I just don't see where the hatred of this film (and Beasts of the Southern Wild) comes from, so what do I know.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Washington and Phoenix's characters are crazy, too, but they are capable of masking their problems. I would be much more afraid of them going off the deep end doing something to harm groups of people than I would Cooper's character.
Washington's character in Flight is an alcoholic. Alcoholic = crazy now? Someone alert the DSM IV.
http://www.sis.indiana.edu/DSM-IV-Criteria.aspx
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

"From a pure performance standpoint, it's Denzel Washington for 'Flight.' But I also like to vote for actors who stretched the most, who made the biggest transition. We know Daniel Day-Lewis is a genius. But now we know Bradley Cooper can be amazing too."

I found that quote interesting/infuriating. I have said previously it does not matter how brilliant Daniel Day-Lewis was in LINCOLN, the Academy may not be ready to give him a third Oscar. Many folks have said they do not think Academy members think like that, they just give the Oscar to the person who they think deserves it most.

However, this quote proves at least one person thinks this way, and where there is one there could be others. Between these three different voters, only two nominees were selected more than once for the win: Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence. Hathaway is the closest thing to a lock we have in this race, and these interviews indicate Lawrence is probably also pretty much a lock as well. Day-Lewis though does not seem as certain. Particularly if folks are willingly admitting they want to give the award to someone who surprised them. I kept thinking Hugh Jackman was going to be the person to benefit from folks reluctant to give Day-Lewis his third Oscar, but now I am thinking Bradley Cooper could be this year's Adrian Brody. I personally think he is the weakest of the nominees, but its not like his winning would be an embarrassment or anything (like his ALL ABOUT STEVE co-star). Obviously his movie is loved in general, particularly by the actors branch.

Day-Lewis still has the best chance on Oscar night, but Cooper could soon be laying a big kiss on Meryl Streep.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He was a crazy alcoholic and drug addict.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Washington and Phoenix's characters are crazy, too, but they are capable of masking their problems. I would be much more afraid of them going off the deep end doing something to harm groups of people than I would Cooper's character.
Washington's character in Flight is an alcoholic. Alcoholic = crazy now? Someone alert the DSM IV.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not who they are voting for, but the lame reasons behind the votes. At least Sandra Bullock in last year's E.W. made an impassioned plea for her Incredibly Loud co-star Thomas Horn for Best Actor prior to the nominations even if it did blow her cover of anonymity.

The producer is voting for Steven Spielberg because he can't vote for Kathryn Bigelow. Fine, but why Spielberg and not one of the others? Both the producer and director are voting for Hathaway because of "the song". The song? That's it? If they want to vote for the best performance of a song, Samantha Barks and Eddie Redmayne were just as compelling. These are members of the Academy speaking from their professional expertise or is this supposed to be a joke?

And this constant shilling for Silver Linings Playbook has become more annoying than the film itself. One of today's big "news" headlines is that Bradley Cooper and David O. Russell are going to meet with Joe Biden to discuss mental illness. Why? Why aren't Denzel Washington and Robert Zemeckis and Joaquin Phoenix and Paul Thomas Anderson meeting with him as well? Because they don't have Harvey Weinstein behind them?

Presumably Cooper and Russell will be talking to Biden about the role mental illness plays in gun violence. If I were a gun store owner and a character like the one Cooper plays came into my store to buy a gun I wouldn't have to run a background check to find out he's crazy. Washington and Phoenix's characters are crazy, too, but they are capable of masking their problems. I would be much more afraid of them going off the deep end doing something to harm groups of people than I would Cooper's character.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:They sound like three idiots.
I couldn't agree with you more. What kind of idiot would vote for Anne Hathaway?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They sound like three idiots.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I don't think it's Susan Sarandon, she is in her 60's.

Some of these comments help me to understand the poor state of filmmaking in the English speaking world.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Comments like "I felt like I was watching Abraham Lincoln" flare up consistently every year, and make me laugh consistently every year.
anonymous1980
Laureate

A sneak peak at three Oscar ballots

Post by anonymous1980 »

Three Academy members reveal their choices in the top categories.

I wonder who could they be. I have a feeling the Silver Linings fan might be Susan Sarandon.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”