Live Action Disney Remakes

2010 through 2019
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Live Action Disney Remakes

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not the biggest fan of these remakes (I've only seen two), but I'll be damned if the Lion King one didn't look amazing. I have a sense that it will be a HUGE hit.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Live Action Disney Remakes

Post by Okri »

I'm of the age where the modern Disney animated films are pretty much cornerstones of my cinematic upbringing. I didn't go the the theatres that often as a kid (planetarium documentaries excepted) and I'm pretty sure three of my first ten movies were Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. And, given how much franchises and sequels dominate our cultural landscape, I shouldn't actually be surprised by Disney's continual bastardizing of their catalog.

But I'm still rather stunned at how BIG the films become. The Beauty and the Beast Remake is the 12th biggest hit of all time (not adjusting) - which amusingly enough, almost matches the original (which was the 11th biggest hit of all time, not adjusting for inflation, at the end of 1991/92). Alice in Wonderland grossed over 1 billion worldwide.

Anyway, I was triggered by Disney's release of The Lion King trailer. Twitter was split into "who would want this" vs "OMGSquee!!" and I literally don't get who would want to see this movie. Yeah, James Earl Jones' voice is magnificent and the bars of "Circle of Life" cannot fail to send chills down my spine, but again, are people really wanting a photo-realistic, shot-for-shot, ugly-ass remake (seriously, what is with the colour palette? And also, half the animals look like stuffed toys). It's really annoying me. Even Aladdin makes more sense by virtue of not being a talking-animals movie (yeah, I didn't get The Jungle Book either). But Dumbo?

Now, I've been wrong about the box office now more often than I've been right (Bohemian Rhapsody? Wow) so this will probably make a kajillion dollars. But I needed to vent.

Return to “2010s”