DGA Winner

For the films of 2011
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: DGA Winner

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:I am still holding out hope that he loses to Malick, but as I saw last year (holding out all hope that Fincher will steal it over Hooper's pedestrian work), you can't bet against the DGA winner.
Except when the film is a comedy. CHICAGO of course lost to THE PIANIST despite what the DGA thought. For us Malick hopefuls, we can root for the Academy's bias against comedies to allow THE ARTIST to lose in this category even if it takes Best Picture. I also think the Academy's prejudice against children's films is what will keep HUGO from beating THE ARTIST in the Best Picture and Director categories. THE TREE OF LIFE taking Director is the only Oscar win I care about this year.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I am still holding out hope that he loses to Malick, but as I saw last year (holding out all hope that Fincher will steal it over Hooper's pedestrian work), you can't bet against the DGA winner.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:This will be the first time in Oscar history that a director whose primary language was something other than English.
I'm pretty sure Bernardo Bertolucci's, Billy Wilder's, Milos Forman's, Michael Curtiz's and Ang Lee's respective first languages were not English.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, ok, but in this case, honestly, DGA or not DGA, it was clear from the beginning that The Artist would very probably win Best Picture - for anyone who has seen it, of course. I'm sure that for those who haven't seen it it seems impossible that a silent, foreign, black and white movie with unknown actors which will never break box-office records could ever get there - but that's just theory: once you see it, you perfectly realize that it can, and that it will.

And no, it's not just because of some devilish marketing campaign. Anyone who really, genuinely loves movies will find The Artist - not a great movie, not a masterpiece, no - but an extremely pleasant, affecting, intelligent experience. And that gets votes, let's face it. Not MY vote - I still think that The Tree of Life is, by far, the best of the nominated movies. But many votes, and votes that I personally can understand and like.

As for the fact that it's not a profound movie (which is what fans of The Help keep saying - and I repeat: The Help!), well, I don't know, maybe it's true. But then - can I be honest? It's not like The Hurt Locker was a very profound movie either - it didn't have, let's face it, all those double meanings and symbols. And let me say it: I will always like an Academy, an America, which goes with The Artist better than an Academy, an America which goes with The Hurt Locker. If I can personally choose MY lack of depth, and I hope I'm allowed to, I know which side I prefer, and which people - and cinemagoers - I want to be with.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I think all the Guilds should follow the WGA's rule and only nominate folks who are actually members of their Guild. I am not saying this specifically in regards to Hazanavicius (for all I know he is a member). I just think it would help keep things from being completely predictable by the time the Oscars actually happen.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This will be the first time in Oscar history that a director whose primary language was something other than English. I can't really call The Artist a French film. It may have been produced by a lot of French artists, but even its dialogue is in English. It will also become only the second silent film in history to win Best Picture, 83 years after the first. It will also be the first black-and-white to win since Schindler's List which was the last B&W pic to win since 1960's The Apartment.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

DGA Winner

Post by OscarGuy »

Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist.

NOW can we declare the race over like I wanted to last week?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”