Winner Predictions

For the films of 2011
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Winner Predictions

Post by Precious Doll »

I think the supporting actress line-up is the strongest of the four acting fields this year.

I'd place them in the order of:

1. Jessica Chastain
2. Octavia Spencer
3. Melissa McCarthy
4. Janet McTerr
5. Berenice Bejo (she was lovely and charming in an otherwise underwhelming film)

If I was an Academy member though I would be voting for Octavia Spencer. Jessica Chastain will likely have lots of chances in the future to win an Oscar but good roles for black actresses are hard to come by and this may be Oactavia's only chance for an Oscar.

My own personal choices for the year are:

1. Jessica Chastain in The Help
2. Louise Harris in Snowtown
3. Octavia Spencer in The Help
4. Shailene Woodley in The Descendants
5. Kathy Burke in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Other notable supporting performances this year include: Rachel Blake (Sleeping Beauty), Jeanne Disson (Tomboy), Jennifer Ehle (Contagion), Sarina Farhadi (A Separation), Bryce Dallas Howard (The Help), Allison Janney (The Help), Piper Laurie (Hesher), Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids), Amara Miller (The Descendants), Ahna O'Reilly (The Help), Paula Patton (Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol), Alexandra Schepisi (The Eye of the Storm), Shannyn Sossamon (Road to Nowhere), Sissy Spacek (The Help), Liv Tyler (The Ledge), Cecily Tyson (The Help).

I know that Sareh Bayat has been turning up on a number of supporting actress lists, but I consider the four actors playing the couples in A Separation to be co-leads. They all have equal screen time and equal importance to the events that unfold during the film. Sareh Bayat is my 2nd place on my best actress lead behind Nadezhda Markina for Elena (great film, terrible title).

This will also probably be the first time in over 20 years that I will actually watch the Oscars. With Spencer being a virtually lock and Viola Davis highly likely, I just can't help myself this year.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I remember when the arguments on this site were about actual issues and events, even if they did sometimes get a little personal.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Octavia Spencer gave a nervy dramatic sensibility to a stock character and her nomination and probable win are not wasteful at all.

McCarthy's desperate, flailing farce was awful and doesn't belong here, however.

I haven't seen Bejo but the only one of the remaining four I'd personally consider nominating would be Octavia Spencer.

1. Spencer
-
2. Chastain
3. McTeer
4. McCarthy
n/s. Bejo

And my personal nominees as of now:

1. Sareh Bayat / A Separation
2. Sarina Farhadi / A Separation
3. Octavia Spencer / The Help
4. Rose Byrne / Bridesmaids
5. Jessica Chastain / Take Shelter
(6. Sarah Paulson / Martha Marcy May Marlene)
(7. Allison Janney / The Help)
(8. Elle Fanning / Super 8)
(9. Jessica Chastain / The Tree of Life)
(10. Yelena Lyadova / Elena)
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Jefforey Smith wrote:Yet Octavia Spencer is such a lock.
Which is really sad because, alongside McCarthy, she is the worst nominee of the bunch. Funny enough, those two nominees both shit in things in their movies as well as the fact that their nominations are a massive shit on the Academy.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

Regarding surprises..."like the good old times"...well, it seems like just yesterday that Geena Davis was an upset winner for The Accidental Tourist (most pundits forecast Sigourney Weaver). Yet surprises have occurred fairly recently...Marcia Gay Harden (Pollock) was a surprise over Kate Hudson...yet I guess that's already been over five plus years ago. Yes, an upset victory in the Best Supporting Actress race is always my favorite Oscar moment.

Geena Davis being the most exciting. Yet Octavia Spencer is such a lock. Any other winner in this category will be an upset....
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Best Picture: THE ARTIST
(Alt: HUGO)
Best Director: MICHEL HAZANAVICIUS
(Alt: MARTIN SCORSESE)
Best Actor: JEAN DUJARDIN
(Alt: GEORGE CLOONEY)
Best Actress: VIOLA DAVIS
(Alt: MERYL STREEP)
Best Supporting Actor: CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER
(Alt: MAX VON SYDOW)
Best Supporting Actress: OCTAVIA SPENCER
(Alt: MELISSA MCCARTHY)
Best Adapted Screenplay: THE DESCENDANTS
(Alt: MONEYBALL)
Best Original Screenplay: THE ARTIST
(Alt: MIDNIGHT IN PARIS)
Best Animated Feature: RANGO
(Alt: CHICO & RITA)
Best Documentary Feature: HELL AND BACK AGAIN
(Alt: PARADISE LOST 3: PURGATORY)
Best Foreign-Language Film: IN DARKNESS
(Alt: A SEPARATION)
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

LoganJ20 wrote:ksrymy, you are a sad, sad person
You only ever shows up to defend mojoe92, you vote for the same people, and don't talk about anything else on the board.

I am not unjustified in this evidence.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
LoganJ20
Graduate

Post by LoganJ20 »

ksrymy wrote:
Bog wrote:Are these the two we're relegated after such sad news this week??
Nah, it's this guy who made tons of fake accounts to give nine to a dozen votes to Michelle Williams, Sally Kirkland, Ellen Burstyn all the over the place, Quinn Cummings, Joan Cusack twice, Kathleen Turner, Diana Ross, Marisa Tomei, and Jacki Weaver.

He always tries to call me out for attacking him yet OscarGuy publicly banned all his fake accounts for coming from the same IP address.

And his "friend" only seems to appear to defend himself and vote for the exact same people.

Funny ain't it?

I just cannot believe he has the gall to show up and still try and be serious.
ksrymy, you are a sad, sad person
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Bog wrote:Are these the two we're relegated after such sad news this week??
Nah, it's this guy who made tons of fake accounts to give nine to a dozen votes to Michelle Williams, Sally Kirkland, Ellen Burstyn all the over the place, Quinn Cummings, Joan Cusack twice, Kathleen Turner, Diana Ross, Marisa Tomei, and Jacki Weaver.

He always tries to call me out for attacking him yet OscarGuy publicly banned all his fake accounts for coming from the same IP address.

And his "friend" only seems to appear to defend himself and vote for the exact same people.

Funny ain't it?

I just cannot believe he has the gall to show up and still try and be serious.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Are these the two we're relegated after such sad news this week??

Fine mojoe...don't slap up ridiculous "hopes" under the pretense of Winner Predictions...by the way the name of this thread.
LoganJ20
Graduate

Post by LoganJ20 »

ksrymy wrote:What you "two" are doing is a mockery of why most of us are here.
I'm sorry... what are you trying to say now?
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

What you "two" are doing is a mockery of why most of us are here.
LoganJ20
Graduate

Post by LoganJ20 »

You guys stop ganging up on mojoe. This is beyond ridiculous now. If those are his picks SO WHAT?! He is entitled to his opinion. In fact I agree with almost all of those except for Director, Actor, Make-Up, and Animated. Ksrymy STOP BEING SUCH A DICK to him. Every other post he is in you have to say something. Move on dude. You are the one who is starting to look pathetic. Whatever happened is in the past. And honestly the way you go about his posts and "ballot stuffing" makes you look out to be a troll. GET A LIFE.

My picks ( as I am entitled to my OWN opinion as well)

Picture- Tree of Life
Director- Alexander Payne
Actress- Michelle Williams
Supporting Actress- Melissa McCarthy
Supporting Actor- Nick Nolte
Actor- Jean Dujardin
Animated- A Cat in Paris
Art Direction- Harry Potter
Sound Editing/Mixing- Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Music- The Artist
Cinematography- Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Costume Design- Jane Eyre
Make-Up-Iron Lady
Writing ( Original)- Bridesmaides
Writing ( Adapted)- Ides of March
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Bog wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:Best Picture: The Tree of Life
Best Director: Terrance Mallick
Best Actress: Michelle Williams- My Week With Marilyn
Best Actor: Demian Bichir- A Better Life
Supporting Actress: Melissa McCarthy- Bridesmaides
Supporting Actor: Nick Nolte-Warrior
Animated- Chico & Rita
Art Direction- Harry Potter 7
Cinematography- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Film Editing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Make-Up- Albert Nobbs
Music- The Artist
Sound Editing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Sound Mixing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Visual Effects- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Writing ( Adapted) - The Ides of March
Writing ( Original) - Bridesmaides
Well I don't know what this is exactly...but I think a very strong argument could be made you'd be 0/18 with those predictions...
Oh I'm sorry. I guess we aren't allowed to have opinions on here. In fact. Your picks I'm sure aren't going to be exact either. These would be my picks as these were my favorites. So until I see that all of your choices are the correct ones on Oscar night. Shut up and sit down. I'm not saying mine are all correct but this is who I would choose
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:
Bog wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:Best Picture: The Tree of Life
Best Director: Terrance Mallick
Best Actress: Michelle Williams- My Week With Marilyn
Best Actor: Demian Bichir- A Better Life
Supporting Actress: Melissa McCarthy- Bridesmaides
Supporting Actor: Nick Nolte-Warrior
Animated- Chico & Rita
Art Direction- Harry Potter 7
Cinematography- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Film Editing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Make-Up- Albert Nobbs
Music- The Artist
Sound Editing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Sound Mixing- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Visual Effects- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Writing ( Adapted) - The Ides of March
Writing ( Original) - Bridesmaides
Well I don't know what this is exactly...but I think a very strong argument could be made you'd be 0/18 with those predictions...
The Artist will definitely win for music as much as I hate to agree with the resident troll.
Enough with your bullshit. I am not a troll. You are the biggest debbie downer on this damn site.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”