Final Oscar Predictions

For the films of 2011
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Final Oscar Predictions

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:I'm a little annoyed that The Help (my perceived last obstacle in the way of The Artist) is clearly not going to happen.

I had to read this twice.
Barrybrooks2011
Graduate

Post by Barrybrooks2011 »

Thanks rolo. I'm quite proud of my two EL&IC predictions, along with the Woodley snub. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought she was just adequate!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Barrybrooks2011 wrote:In the realm of No Guts No Glory, I have a few oddballs, yet possibilities:
3. There are only two Best Song nominees, both from The Muppets.
Pretty damn close. You definitely earned some bragging rights.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

OscarGuy wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Am I missing something or are there only 4 art direction nominees?
Check my site for the full list, but there are five...oscars.com is missing one while oscars.org has five.
Not a bad pick either.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

criddic3 wrote:Am I missing something or are there only 4 art direction nominees?
Check my site for the full list, but there are five...oscars.com is missing one while oscars.org has five.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I had a hunch about Brooks that I didn't play here or on facebook.

A ton of "snubs". No nomination for Tate Taylor's screenplay. No Tintin, no Cars 2. No more than two songs. No Reznor/Ross. No Thomas McCarthy. No Woodley, Brooks, Stoll, Swinton, DiCaprio, or Fassbender. No The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...

And I look over all of them and I say "That's all right." I'm a little annoyed that The Help (my perceived last obstacle in the way of The Artist) is clearly not going to happen, but The Tree of Life and Moneyball both made it in. And my God, A Separation is justly nominated for Asghar Farhadi's brilliant screenplay. Rooney Mara is nominated for sparking life into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Demian Bichir whom I've never heard of is nominated for a film I had no intention of seeing...and there's something kinda cool about that. Gary Oldman has a first career nomination for a film I don't love, but in the place of Leonardo DiCaprio for J. Edgar. Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumulo, and Melissa McCarthy are nominated.

Not sure if happy is the right word, because I'm fairly indifferent to a lot of the replacements, but I'm less disappointed than any nominations morning I can think of.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Am I missing something or are there only 4 art direction nominees?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Wait, where the fuck is Tilda Swinton? That performance blew me away. Oscar FAIL.
OMG you're right. Rooney Mara displaced her. WTF !!
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Only two song nominees?
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wait, where the fuck is Tilda Swinton? That performance blew me away. Oscar FAIL.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:For all the abuse Magilla took from us, he should assign an appropriate punishment for each of us such as a day of shame and humiliation.
I'll wait until von Sydow actually wins to say "I told you so".

Like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the film is surging in recognition. Not enough to get anywhere near a win for Best Picture, but I still think von Sydow could pull off a surprise win. Unlike Chirstopehr Plummer who is merely liked, von Sydow is genuinely loved so we shall see waht we shall see.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

And why leave out one slot in the Best Picture category? I wish they had nominated Tinker in that tenth slot.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I count 9 for The Artist...Hugo only double digit film
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:For all the abuse Magilla took from us, he should assign an appropriate punishment for each of us such as a day of shame and humiliation.
Lol.....True !!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Now... No Tintin for Best Animated Film. I don't remember if Oscar Guy finally predicted it, but his reasoning earlier in the season seemed to have paid off.

Had we used the old five-nominee format, Malick would have been the split Director nomination. What film would he have split with? The Help, I guess.

Hugo has 11 noms. Does it lead the pack?

Finally, when they announced the Best FF film, and announced Belgium, then Israel, then Poland, I almost went into cardiac for their snubbing A Separation. Then I remembered it's announced in alphabetical order by title.

Have fun, everyone. I always enjoy celebrating nomination day with you all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”