Assistant

Re: ACE Eddie Nominees

Post by nightwingnova »

My choices are Hugo and The Artist.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

No, the American Cinematic Editors are drunk.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sonic was clearly being sarcastic.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:The Descendants editing was magnificent. Such artistry. It really pushed the boundaries of the medium.
Are you drunk or just being sarcastic?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I probably like The Descendants more than most here (though I don't love it) but I'm really amazed at how it's just sailed through awards season as strongly as it has. I don't know a single other person in my real life who likes it. In fact, everyone I know actively hates it. And, as someone who has defended Alexander Payne in this department in the past...it's not really all that well directed. The acting is uneven. The compositions are lazy and uninspired. And good lord, this movie doesn't deserve prizes for its totally generic editing. I think it has its peaks and interesting moments, but its status as a de facto awards magnet across the board is just baffling to me.

That said, the last two (vastly superior) Payne movies each experienced a fairly major snub on Oscar nom morning. Might at least Shailene Woodley not pull through for this movie?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Descendants editing was magnificent. Such artistry. It really pushed the boundaries of the medium.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You can't win Best Picture without Best Film Editing, and that is an award that The Help absolutely needs to be a contender. I thought it would get in past War Horse. Not a great sign at all.

Also, Cars 2 failing a nomination here makes me think this might indeed be the first PIXAR film not nominated.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I did not include THE DESCENDANTS in my predictions because I thought it was not in the top five (or even the top ten) of the best editing of the year. However, as we saw last year with THE KING'S SPEECH, the editing category is now a proxy for Best Picture rather than about the craft of artfully cutting a film together.

THE ARTIST and HUGO will probably win their respective categories. All the nominees in the Drama category will be nominated by the Academy, but THE ARTIST will probably replace THE DESCENDANTS. I am very glad to see the editing for MONEYBALL being recognized. I actually think it could pull of a surprise win, though the lead contenders for the Oscar will still be THE ARTIST and HUGO.

I am disappointed (though not at all surprised) to see DRIVE, THE TREE OF LIFE, and TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY snubbed for their amazing editing.
Last edited by rolotomasi99 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ACE Eddie Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

AKA the best picture contenders. I thought people were too quick to overlook The Descendants here.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):

The Descendants, Kevin Tent, A.C.E.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Angus Wall, A.C.E. & Kirk Baxter, A.C.E.
Hugo, Thelma Schoonmaker, A.C.E.
Moneyball, Christopher Tellefsen, A.C.E.
War Horse, Michael Kahn, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):

The Artist, Anne-Sophie Bion & Michel Hazanavicius
Bridesmaids, William Kerr & Michael L. Sale
Midnight in Paris, Alisa Lepselter
My Week with Marilyn, Adam Recht
Young Adult, Dana E. Glauberman, A.C.E.

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

The Adventures of Tintin, Michael Kahn, A.C.E.
Puss in Boots, Eric Dapkewicz
Rango, Craig Wood, A.C.E.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”