Oscar Predictions at Year End

For the films of 2011
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Oscar Predictions at Year End

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:But there is always hope. A young person I viciously attacked for, I guess, being young a decade ago, turned out to be one of the most admirable people to grace this forum (though way too sporadically, unfortunately).
Yes, Uri, I know whom you are referring to. But there is a big difference - that guy may have been young back then, and a bit arrogant maybe, but one could see that there was a promising intelligence behind all that. Arrogance and stupidity (have you read bizarre's list of movies?) are a mix that, especially today, I have much less patience with than I used to have.

Bizarre, you are getting tiresome and even a bit too personal (in your typical oily way - at least I'm more direct when I tell you that you are an annoying idiot). I don't need to justify myself, certainly not with you, but I'm often here because I work on my pc (and what's your reason? you are here all the time) and, of course, because I like this board. I watch movies professionally, and all movies, not only American potbolers (though I admit that I find those interesting, too). And I read books - if you want we can compare the books I've read with the books YOU have read - I travel alot, etc... People with a brain - not a GREAT brain, just a brain, bizarre - can do many things in their life. Surprised?

I just hope that you aren't older than 20, really. In case you are older, just know that I feel really sorry for you, and I will try to ignore you, for your own good.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Personally, I'm shocked that with an attitude like his he's lasted this long.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

bizarre wrote:"Yes, but it seems that only we foreigners can clearly see that. When you bring them face to face with such issues they feel terrified, and they either attack you (not very convincingly, let's be honest) or they desperately try to dismiss what you just said. Self-criticism is unknown to them. Once in a while, I must admit that I still like to see such reactions - I find them fascinating. But they are nice people."

Do you have any inkling of how you come across? I hope to god you don't speak like this to your friends and neighbours.

Self-criticism is certainly unknown to someone here. Desperate dismissals and attacks, unfortunately, no. And I think your last 'burn' fizzles when one takes into account the many thousands of obscure Golden Age potboilers you claim to have seen and the fact that you seem to be on here at all hours.
A while ago I posted here a critical remark about you, bizarre. I deleted it shortly after – I have a rather problematic track record when it comes to being too outspoken toward people on this board and was afraid I was out of line again. But I will say this – in the core of this board there's a community that goes back for well over a decade, and the person you know as ITALIANO is very much an integral part of this core. Charging in like you did just a few weeks ago, without realizing - and certainly not respecting – that there is a well established social dynamics going on round here, doesn't give you much credit.

But there is always hope. A young person I viciously attacked for, I guess, being young a decade ago, turned out to be one of the most admirable people to grace this forum (though way too sporadically, unfortunately).
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

ITALIANO wrote:(At least I HOPE that you are young... 19, 20 maybe. Otherwise... well, never mind).
I remember getting in an argument with you three years ago. I was 20 then. In retrospect, I don't think I was ready for that.

*sigh*

It's nice to see some things never change.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

"Yes, but it seems that only we foreigners can clearly see that. When you bring them face to face with such issues they feel terrified, and they either attack you (not very convincingly, let's be honest) or they desperately try to dismiss what you just said. Self-criticism is unknown to them. Once in a while, I must admit that I still like to see such reactions - I find them fascinating. But they are nice people."

Do you have any inkling of how you come across? I hope to god you don't speak like this to your friends and neighbours.

Self-criticism is certainly unknown to someone here. Desperate dismissals and attacks, unfortunately, no. And I think your last 'burn' fizzles when one takes into account the many thousands of obscure Golden Age potboilers you claim to have seen and the fact that you seem to be on here at all hours.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The fact that you think that one should be interested only in the things one admires shows, once again, how young you are. (At least I HOPE that you are young... 19, 20 maybe. Otherwise... well, never mind).
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Your original post referred to "overweight black actresses", not "overweight black characters".

And I have less of a problem with that point - I'd agree that white guilt plays a role in the popularity of a film like The Help, actually - than with your posts which, like a river running to sea, inevitably cycle back to your exhausted and exhausting diatribe on American imperfection. I'm not even American but I can find plenty to laugh at in the double standard of your harping this particular chord while apparently devoting your leisure time to American film and the discussion of one of the crassest of American spectacles.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

bizarre wrote:I highly doubt your warped internal dialogue is comprehensible for anyone but yourself.
It may be warped (English isn't my first language) but at least it's a dialogue, bizarre, and intelligent people can understand what it is about. Also, Intelligent people would certainly never reply with a link to a pic of Viola Davis at an award show - they would perfectly get what I'm trying to say. Anyway, nobody forces you to read my posts. Do yourself - and me - a favour and just ignore them. I'm not joking.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

bizarre wrote:
Are you for real, or is someone deliberately trolling with a handbook of xenophobic-European stereotypes?

Perhaps a better question is: why do the rest of you put up with this joker?
I am not always ITALIANO's most welcome supporter, but I will say that this time, he is 100% right about this case. Although I think there is a very good chance Jessica Chastain wins the Oscar for The Help.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

ITALIANO wrote:
bizarre wrote:Are you for real, or is someone deliberately trolling with a handbook of xenophobic-European stereotypes?

A friendly advice, young man: grow up a bit, then come back and maybe - MAYBE - you'll understand what I'm saying.
I highly doubt your warped internal dialogue is comprehensible for anyone but yourself.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So, post-PGA nominations I am really feeling like we will have at least a 6-film lineup. It seems like these 6 are pretty much locked in:

The Artist
The Descendants
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball

After that, it seems like the fighting chances are:
7. War Horse
8. The Tree of Life
9. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although its poor box office will hurt it more than today showed)
10. The Ides of March (who would have thought a week ago?)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
bizarre wrote:I'd say Chastain winning over Spencer for The Help would be like McDormand winning over Hudson for Almost Famous.
I think she might have got two nominations out of it -- unlike Chastain, or Keener in 2005, her recognition is not simply for bulk, but for the quality of each performance.
Oh, let's not go here again. Catherine Keener was pitch-perfect in Capote and thoroughly deserved her nomination that year. I don't think it was a body-of-work nod for that year, but a recognition of her singular work in that film.

The Help seems most likely, but I have a nagging feeling that she'll end up being cited for Take Shelter. I'd be curious to know for which film Chastain would most like to be nominated since she must know at this point that she's pretty much a lock for one in something.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

bizarre wrote:I'd say Chastain winning over Spencer for The Help would be like McDormand winning over Hudson for Almost Famous.
I'm with you on the rest of your argument, but I don't think this part of the analogy works,since McDormand actually won major critics awards for both Almost Famous and Wonder Boys that year, and was, certainly in my opinion, well superior to Hudson in either. In fact, had the two films been released in separate years, I think she might have got two nominations out of it -- unlike Chastain, or Keener in 2005, her recognition is not simply for bulk, but for the quality of each performance.

Chastain will probably get listed for The Help, simply because it's the most visible, and the one chosen by the Oscar-forecasting whores at the Broadcasters. But I don't see that performance alone being in the Oscar zone, and would be surprised if she won for it.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

bizarre wrote:Are you for real, or is someone deliberately trolling with a handbook of xenophobic-European stereotypes?

A friendly advice, young man: grow up a bit, then come back and maybe - MAYBE - you'll understand what I'm saying.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Chastain is more likely to be nominated for The Help than Take Shelter or The Tree of Life. The Help is proving to be a popular film this awards season and when Academy voters need to rally around a single role, the most popular film usually proves to be the one where the nomination comes. However, if I must draw a parallel I will... The last time I remember an actress drawing this much attention for several acclaimed performances in a single year, it was Miranda Richardson in 1992. She earned praise for Damage, The Crying Game and Encanted April. The Crying Game was the biggest hit, but she took the nod for her work in Damage. This probably cost her the Oscar since Damage was far less visible than either of the two other films. But I'd almost say that Enchanted April is The Help, Damage is Take Shelter and The Crying Game is The Tree of Life, though an argument could be made for reversing Crying Game/Damage vs. Take Shelter/Tree of Life. I think the same fate could easily befall her: a nomination for the least likely winner of the bunch: Take Shelter followed by the loss of the Oscar to a surprise winner no one saw coming (a la Marisa Tomei).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”