Post-Oscar Reactions

For the films of 2011
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Post-Oscar Reactions

Post by ITALIANO »

Sometimes racism is in our eyes, inside us. It was just an innocent line.

That's a piece full of confused, and confusing, paranoia. And why should Meryl Streep winning over Viola Davis be considered racist - as it implies?
I will be honest: had Viola Davis (undeservedly) won, THAT would have been a sign of racism.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:It was a joke, that Fred Willard was such an idiot the only thing he remembered about Wizard of Oz was flying monkeys and he holped there'd be more flying monkeys in the next movie he saw. There was nothing racist in it except what you've imagined.
Um, no, Mister Tee. I didn't imagine anything. Others noticed it, too: http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/02 ... ?mobile=nc

By the way, he said he hoped that there'd be monkeys in the next film, not flying monkeys.

Is there a way you could possibly sound less smug the next time you respond to one of my posts?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:
Greg wrote:
flipp525 wrote:What was up with that horribly racist joke about "monkeys" in Gone With the Wind?
It was about The Wizard of Oz, which I believe actually did have flying monkeys in it.
Nope, you must've missed it. At the end of The Wizard of Oz discussion, they moved along to say that they'd be discussing Gone With the Wind next week. At which point, Fred Ward asked, "Are there any monkeys in it?" It was a pre-recorded bit, so it could easily have been edited out. If I heard it, I know others must've.
I didn't hear it, but if so, why would it be racist?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Greg wrote:
flipp525 wrote:What was up with that horribly racist joke about "monkeys" in Gone With the Wind?
It was about The Wizard of Oz, which I believe actually did have flying monkeys in it.
Nope, you must've missed it. At the end of The Wizard of Oz discussion, they moved along to say that they'd be discussing Gone With the Wind next week. At which point, Fred Ward asked, "Are there any monkeys in it?" It was a pre-recorded bit, so it could easily have been edited out. If I heard it, I know others must've.
It was a joke, that Fred Willard was such an idiot the only thing he remembered about Wizard of Oz was flying monkeys and he holped there'd be more flying monkeys in the next movie he saw. There was nothing racist in it except what you've imagined.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The usual, unexciting evening - nowadays, they seem just to be in a hurry to give all the awards as soon as possible. Years ago, there may have been doses of trash, but also memorable moments.

The results are ok. The Artist isn't the best movie of the year, true, but I like honesty, and I feel that The Artist is as sincere in its affection for movie as another recent Best Picture winner, The Hurt Locker - much praised even on this board - was sincere in its affection for war. We can't complain, I guess.

As for the acting prizes, if The Help had to win at least one Oscar - and it had to - Octavia Spencer was certainly the one who should have got it. I can't even say that she's a bad actress, she probably isn't and she has a few good moments in that movie (despite her role) - but honestly that standing ovation was truly absurd. (Being black doesn't seem to be a very good reason).

The three others are obviously very good, and Meryl Streep's third Oscar was one of the very few surprises of the evening, and a welcomed one. She will certainly win a fourth Oscar one day, but this national monument is worthy of three Oscars at least, and now she has them.

The only other real surprise was Best Editing. As for Best Cinematography, of course I hoped The Tree of Life would win, but knowing the Academy I thought it wasn't so sure, and I was actually relieved when, at least, it turned out to be Hugo's Paris in winter rather than War Horse's World War I sunsets.

And by honoring A Separation the Academy has shown that it can still see through propaganda, which is a good sign not only for the Oscars, but for America itself. For once, I guess that the movie was so obviously good that it couldn't be easily ignored, but I really feared the worst and was glad, for once, to be proven wrong.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

nightwingnova wrote:It's hard for any artist to win all the Oscars they are due. In Streep's case, she may be right that she'll never win again. She'll certainly have to outdo herself here in order to win again.
She'll win again. For the adaptation of August: Osage County.

nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

It's hard for any artist to win all the Oscars they are due. In Streep's case, she may be right that she'll never win again. She'll certainly have to outdo herself here in order to win again.

So good for her. Appropriate win and helps make up for not winning for A Cry in the Dark, arguably her most haunting performance.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What was up with that horribly racist joke about "monkeys" in Gone With the Wind?

nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Predictability is to be expected when you've covered and predicted the awards to death. We've already figured out the sentiment.

Predictability is not bad when the choices are right. I'd rather have them make the right choices for the ages then to have them make bad ones to entertain us and give us something to carp about in the morning.

Hustler wrote:It was the shortest show I´d ever seen, anyway, I have a bitter taste of it. It´s like having seen the same program over and over again. All the innovations that were imposed by Bill Condon ( 4 years ago) and could have been adopted this time, were definitely and dramatically out. What can you expect from a boring producer like Grazer? (he produces Ron Howard´s movies among many others).
Billy Crystal looked old and repetitive.
The In Memoriam sequence was, as usual, incomplete.
The awards were so predictible, except for Meryl´s win. (and some technical compensations for Hugo and The Girl...) She was the best thing of the night. Great specch. Fantastic lady!
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I found that I agreed with 11 winners in 18 categories this year. That's amazing!

Only consternation comes from the wins for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects and Best Costumes.
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

I just logged on & found out. I cannot believe it! Thanks....

Jeff from Lexington, KY
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Holy shit, the ratings were up!

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/oscar-ratings-2012/
Probably due to The Artist, there was a much larger French following this year.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”