Best Actress

For the films of 2011
Snick's Guy
Temp

Re: Best Actress

Post by Snick's Guy »

So, I was just thinking. There was talk earlier in award season whether Davis would be placed in lead or supporting. Had Davis been placed in supporting would she had won? Would Spencer still had triumphed? Or would they have split the vote, leading to a win by either Bejo or McCarthy?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Uri wrote:I'm sort of disappointed – I was sure Davis was going to win and I had a great quip to write: "There is no doubt Streep is going to win a forth Oscar. The question is – is she ever going to win her third".

I'm really, really happy I was proved wrong.
Well one could say "There is no doubt Streep is going to win a fifth Oscar. The question is - when is she ever going to win her fourth"

I think she will go on to win a fourth and fifth Oscar over the next 20 years. She has had a career like no other actress in the history of cinema has had or likely to have in any of our lifetimes.

She has this amazing ability to change her appearance so that one barely recognizes Streep herself. She does something that no other actress comes anywhere near approaching and I think it is the key to her success and acclaim. It doesn't mean she is a better actress then everyone else (she has given some of the worst performances committed to film - Mama Mia being the standout) but her ability to transform her 'look' is something I have constantly astonishing, particularly in the last 10 years. No wonder she singled out her make-up man, together they are an extraordinary team.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Actually, I knew Streep was there to win once I saw her dress – the last time she was wearing a golden dress was when she won for Sophie.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Ok, Now she needs to tie up Hepburn's 4 win record. Her next two films look like Oscar bait - and 18th and 19th nominations look like good possibilities
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Precious Doll wrote:I liked her speech though and extra brownie points for not mentioning... Harvey.
I don't know if anyone from The Artist mentioned him either. Certainly not the director or producer.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I'm sort of disappointed – I was sure Davis was going to win and I had a great quip to write: "There is no doubt Streep is going to win a forth Oscar. The question is – is she ever going to win her third".

I'm really, really happy I was proved wrong.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Didn't they? She's had how many nominations in the last decade? And at least one of them (Doubt) would have been the perfect vehicle to award her for. I don't by the line that Harvey didn't have something to do with it. There may have been the votes for Meryl as a base, but Harvey goosed the right number to vote her up, I am fairly certain.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know that Harvey had much to do with it.. I don't think too many Academy members needed to be reminded that Meryl hadn't won an Oscar in 29 years. Besides she deserved it on performance alone.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Best impersonation of the year, without a doubt, best (lead actress) performance, not by a long shot.

And it won't be the last time that Meryl is in the winner's circle. I liked her speech though and extra brownie points for not mentioning her terrible director or Harvey.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

One of the best Oscar moments in recent years, and yes, a historical moment, too. They went for talent, and I'm very happy.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The film is rather frustrating, Sonic, but Meryl is wonderful in it.

And let me just say that if you have any doubt about the power of Harvey Weinstein, he turned the tide here...because by all reasoning, Viola Davis should have won this prize (not my opinion, just historical observation).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

did everyone hear me scream -- my girl finally got her third !!! i posted two weeks ago that the tide was turning for her!!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Do I really have to see this now? I don't LIKE vampire movies.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's not often you're a part of history, but this really is historical.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I got tingly, but it's so strange for me.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”