Best Original Score

For the films of 2011
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Original Score

Post by Sabin »

Along with Hugo for Art Direction, this was the lock of the night for me. I couldn't see anything else winning here. And it's a perfectly listenable piece of music. Alberto Iglesias' music for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Howard Shore's for Hugo are just miles above. I likely will never see Tintin, but my goodness was John Williams' War Horse theme overbearing!
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Adventures of Tintin score was also pretty amazing. And I'll say that I don't remember Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy's score, but hearing part of it, It's something I would have liked to see win.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I thought Shore's music for Hugo was gorgeous, but if The Artist deserved to win any Oscars, it was this one. Besides being integral to the film, most of it sounds like authentic French 1920s-era classical music.
Agreed.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I thought Shore's music for Hugo was gorgeous, but if The Artist deserved to win any Oscars, it was this one. Besides being integral to the film, most of it sounds like authentic French 1920s-era classical music.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Had it gone to Hugo, then I might have supported the talk of a surprise Best Picture win.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Extremely well-deserved. I have the soundtrack pre-ordered. And it's awesome to know that Bource has no formal training.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Still on track to win Best Picture.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Original Score

Post by OscarGuy »

The Artist
Wesley Lovell

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”