2011 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2011
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: 2011 Oscar Nominations

Post by rolotomasi99 »

nightwingnova wrote:I did not commend an Oscar nomination for Rocky's screenplay. I haven't seen it.

I must have took a wrong turn some where. Mike Kelley was talking about films which were not nominated for Directing, Writing, and Editing. One of those films was TAXI DRIVER and I commented on how ridiculous it was for TAXI DRIVER to be snubbed in those three categories. You commented that you agreed with me on the Directing and Editing, but not the writing. Therefore, I assumed you meant you agreed with the Academy's decision to nominate ROCKY over TAXI DRIVER.

You are absolutely correct when you say you did not speak in favor of ROCKY's Oscar nomination for its screenplay, which is good since that would be indefensible. :D
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I did not commend an Oscar nomination for Rocky's screenplay. I haven't seen it.

rolotomasi99 wrote:
nightwingnova wrote:The direction and editing were good.

But disagree about the screenplay - a couple of great lines but mainly insubstantial drama, little psychological insight, with an ending that is ludicrous at best and, at worst, justifies sociopathic behavior.
rolotomasi99 wrote:It is absolutely insane that TAXI DRIVER was not nominated for Director, Screenplay, and Editing. Possibly the most embarrassing snubs in the Academy's 80+ year history.
I see. Is it the great psychological insights or the amazing ending that makes ROCKY more worthy of a Screenplay nomination than TAXI DRIVER?
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Is Rooney Mara playing Moe Howard's wife in the upcoming Three Stooges biopic?

http://www.imdb.com/oscars/galleries/rt ... 2254221568
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

nightwingnova wrote:The direction and editing were good.

But disagree about the screenplay - a couple of great lines but mainly insubstantial drama, little psychological insight, with an ending that is ludicrous at best and, at worst, justifies sociopathic behavior.
rolotomasi99 wrote:It is absolutely insane that TAXI DRIVER was not nominated for Director, Screenplay, and Editing. Possibly the most embarrassing snubs in the Academy's 80+ year history.
I see. Is it the great psychological insights or the amazing ending that makes ROCKY more worthy of a Screenplay nomination than TAXI DRIVER?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

The direction and editing were good.

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mike Kelly wrote:I'm a statistical guy when it comes to predicting Best Picture nominees. To me the most important associative nominations to have with a Best Picture nomination are Director, Screenplay and Editing - in that order. I did a little research, and for the 50 years before this year, there were 260 films nominated for Best Picture. Of those 255 were also nominated in at least one of those associated categories. The five films (less than 2% of the total), that did not get at least one of those category nominations were: The Blind Side, Elizabeth, Beauty and the Beast, Taxi Driver and Nicholas and Alexandra.
It is absolutely insane that TAXI DRIVER was not nominated for Director, Screenplay, and Editing. Possibly the most embarrassing snubs in the Academy's 80+ year history.

Thanks for the stats Mike Kelly.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mike Kelly wrote:I'm a statistical guy when it comes to predicting Best Picture nominees. To me the most important associative nominations to have with a Best Picture nomination are Director, Screenplay and Editing - in that order. I did a little research, and for the 50 years before this year, there were 260 films nominated for Best Picture. Of those 255 were also nominated in at least one of those associated categories. The five films (less than 2% of the total), that did not get at least one of those category nominations were: The Blind Side, Elizabeth, Beauty and the Beast, Taxi Driver and Nicholas and Alexandra.
It is absolutely insane that TAXI DRIVER was not nominated for Director, Screenplay, and Editing. Possibly the most embarrassing snubs in the Academy's 80+ year history.

Thanks for the stats Mike Kelly.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

I'm a statistical guy when it comes to predicting Best Picture nominees. To me the most important associative nominations to have with a Best Picture nomination are Director, Screenplay and Editing - in that order. I did a little research, and for the 50 years before this year, there were 260 films nominated for Best Picture. Of those 255 were also nominated in at least one of those associated categories. The five films (less than 2% of the total), that did not get at least one of those category nominations were: The Blind Side, Elizabeth, Beauty and the Beast, Taxi Driver and Nicholas and Alexandra. This year three out of nine did not get a director, screenplay or editing nomination. That's a significant difference and I think has something to with the change in voting procedures.

So, my guess for the five films that would have made the Best Picture line-up are: The Artist, The Descendants, Hugo (Director, Screenplay and Editing noms.), Midnight in Paris (Director, Screenplay), and Moneyball (Screenplay, Editing). The next four: The Tree of Life (Director), The Help, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, War Horse (None). I think that acting nominations run a distant fourth in determining Best Picture chances. The films that The Help, EL&IC and War Horse bounced from the Best Picture race if those associative nominations count were: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, A Separation, The Ides of March, Bridesmaids, Margin Call (Screenplays) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Editing). Under last year's system and 10 nominees I'd eliminate War Horse and EL&IC, and add Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Bridesmaids and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The Help would be the 6th film in 51 years to get in without those other nominations.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

For these interested the Academy has announced the producer nominees for The Tree of Life's Best Picture citation. They are Sarah Green, Bill Pohlad, Dede Gardner and Grant Hill. No mention for Brad Pitt. Here's the press release:

Producer Credits Determined for 2011 Best Picture Nominee

Beverly Hills, CA (January 27, 2012) – Producer credits for 84th Academy Awards® Best Picture nominee "The Tree of Life" have been determined by the Producers Branch Executive Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The official nominees for the film are Sarah Green, Bill Pohlad, Dede Gardner and Grant Hill.

Academy rules allow for no more than three producers to be nominated and to potentially receive Oscar® statuettes. The executive committee called a meeting to determine if "The Tree of Life" represented a "rare and extraordinary circumstance," as described by the rules, and if any additional producer would be eligible. The committee determined that Green, Pohlad, Gardner and Hill functioned as genuine producers of the film and would be cited in the nomination.

Producers for the eight other motion pictures nominated in the Best Picture category – "The Artist," "The Descendants," "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," "The Help," "Hugo," "Midnight in Paris," "Moneyball" and "War Horse" – were announced on January 24 and remain unchanged.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries worldwide.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Anyone else notice to two shittiest nominees for supporting actress did just that? Shit in things?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Well as I saw Albert Nobbs last night trust me, I was tempted to do the same.

Awful, awful.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

bizarre wrote:
ksrymy wrote:So as I'm watching A Better Life all I can think is that this is a less depressing Biutiful and, like Bardem, Bichir should not have been nominated. Michaels Shannon or Fassbender should be in his place.
Why are you posting here while you're still watching it?
When I saw Zodiac, I had to pause it to go vent on the internet about how fucking long it was. Finding out I had an hour left was depressing.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

ksrymy wrote:So as I'm watching A Better Life all I can think is that this is a less depressing Biutiful and, like Bardem, Bichir should not have been nominated. Michaels Shannon or Fassbender should be in his place.
Why are you posting here while you're still watching it?
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

So as I'm watching A Better Life all I can think is that this is a less depressing Biutiful and, like Bardem, Bichir should not have been nominated. Michaels Shannon or Fassbender should be in his place.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

For those who have watched The Tree of Life will know how truly magnificent this film is.
It has some marvelous visuals and Brad Pitt was good, but "magnificent"? I know fans are enthusiastic and feel that the Academy nods back up their love of the film, but I've seen beautiful films that engaged me emotionally much more than this one. I can see Malick winning as a result of the actors and tech branches rallying to a respected filmmaker, but it would be a stand alone win (or maybe coupled with cinematography). Doubtful with his competition.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

jack wrote:I'm going to predict that Terrence Malick wins Best Director this year.
Amen
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”