Make Up shortlist

For the films of 2011
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Make Up shortlist

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Magilla, I don't know if you honestly believe in Extremely Loud anymore or if you're just being stubborn because everyone has busted your balls over it. If it's the latter, then I'm sorry for my part. But could you please make an effort to come to grips with the reality of the situation? It's gotten exhausting.
I still have it my list of must-see films before I compile my year-end lists but at this point I'm not expecting much.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ksrymy wrote:
Damien wrote:I don't remember any particular makeup in Gainsbourg -- a godawful movie, by the way -- other than as the years went by, the title character became more and more dissipated. There was an obnoxious puppet who sometimes accompanied the lead actor, but I don't think that would constitute makeup.
I consider it the same kind of nomination for makeup that La Vie en Rose got.
The makeup on beautiful Marion Cotillard was excellent. They really made her up to look like ugly Edith Piaf.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Magilla, I don't know if you honestly believe in Extremely Loud anymore or if you're just being stubborn because everyone has busted your balls over it. If it's the latter, then I'm sorry for my part. But could you please make an effort to come to grips with the reality of the situation? It's gotten exhausting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Artist is so much better than The Descendants that I really don't understand why the two are so often mentioned in the same breath. It's not a hit because today's audiences have an aversion to black and white films with people they've never heard of and an even bigger aversion to silent films, but once dragged kicking and screaming most seem to love it. AMPAS members will have seen it and most will have loved it. Ironically its chief competition will likely come from other nostalgic and faux nostalgic films like War Horse; Hugo and Midnight in Paris and not dour contemporary films like The Descendants and Extrememly Loud and Incredibly Close.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And The Artist is on this list, too.

Now, I'm not saying that it will be nominated for Make-Up, probably not, but this movie is obviously loved. By everyone. And I really mean LOVED - yes, I know that the Weinstein Company is behind it, etc, but such a wide display of, again, love can't be explained just with the smart strategy of a cunning distributor. That plays a role, certainly, but at this point I'm sure that it's much more than that - one feels it.

If it weren't a foreign, silent movie nobody today would have doubts about The Artist winning Best Picture next February. And it's true that, with a valid alternative, this wouldn't be a certain outcome - it's not an "unbeatable" movie, it's not Gone with the Wind. But the problem is that there doesn't seem to be valid alternative - the much-talked-about The Descendants seems to be more admired than loved. And for once, even the lack of big box-office results doesn't mean much - nobody would expect such a movie to be a commercial hit anyway, and actually it would probably work against its reputation as the ultimate example of "pure" filmmaking.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

[quote="Damien"There was an obnoxious puppet who sometimes accompanied the lead actor, but I don't think that would constitute makeup.[/quote]

Yes, that puppet was extremely annoying although his life with and around Jane Birkin and Brigitte Bardot was interesting. The two actresses did a good job. The film won a lot of acclaim in France including a Cesar for the lead actor who's face paint job is in consideration for the Oscar.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Damien wrote:I don't remember any particular makeup in Gainsbourg -- a godawful movie, by the way -- other than as the years went by, the title character became more and more dissipated. There was an obnoxious puppet who sometimes accompanied the lead actor, but I don't think that would constitute makeup.
I consider it the same kind of nomination for makeup that La Vie en Rose got.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The Iron Lady is a lousy movie...but my friend and I both asked each other during the film's opening moments, "Is THAT Meryl Streep?" Probably good evidence that the film's makeup was effective.
Last edited by The Original BJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I don't remember any particular makeup in Gainsbourg -- a godawful movie, by the way -- other than as the years went by, the title character became more and more dissipated. There was an obnoxious puppet who sometimes accompanied the lead actor, but I don't think that would constitute makeup.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Iron Lady looks like the best choice for the win, which I haven't seen. Haven't seen Anonymous, Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life, or Harry Potter. I thought Gainsbourg was a doc to be honest. Anonymous looks lavish enough to procure a nomination. Then what? I wasn't too taken aback by the makeup in Hugo or Albert Nobbs. Probably Harry Potter 7 part 2.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Make Up shortlist

Post by Mister Tee »

Hey -- they noticed J. Edgar's make-up sucked!

“Albert Nobbs”
“Anonymous”
“The Artist”
“Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life”
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2″
“Hugo”
“The Iron Lady”

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”