Apatow Thinks Comedy Should Have Its Own Oscars Category

For the films of 2011
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Apatow Thinks Comedy Should Have Its Own Oscars Category

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Melissa McCarthy needs Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder kind of buzz to make the Oscars.
She seems to be on her way.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

criddic3 wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Melissa McCarthy is getting a big push, but I don't see it carrying over unless she starts picking up a lot of precursors. Shailene Woodley is getting quite a bit of buzz, and is on my prediction list right now. I have heard no one else mention Evan Rachel Wood in months, and she is dead in the water.
The Ides of March DVD's being sent out to SAG voters etc have Rachel in For Your Consideration packages for the Film. ( Among other wanna be nominations for the film) Plus there is some buzz among people talking here in LA. So my biggest guess right now is yes she is still getting buzz. The 3 biggest campaigning happening here in Hollywood right now for the category that I have come across is definitely Wood, Woodley, and McCarthy.
I thought i had been paying pretty close attention to the race thus far, as well as reaction to the movies in general. This kind of shocks me. I would think that the only possible nominees from The Ides of March would be Clooney or Gosling at this point. Wood was fine, but I think the only way she is nominated is if the movie is better liked than previously thought. You seem pretty certain she (and Woodley and McCarthy) are solidly in the race. Then again, it isn't a particularly strong year for the supporting actress category, so I guess it is conceivable. Maybe I should watch Ides of March a second time.
Wood gathered buzz a few years back with Thirteen ( which she was nominated for a Golden Globe) as well as her role in the Wrestler. So the big thing here is her performance in Ides is kind of a " finally" situation. Does that make sense? Idk it makes sense as I type it here
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Moejoe, are you an entertainment reporter?
I work in the entertainment field. I work closely with the top agencies ( UTA, CAA, etc) as well as with some management compaines ( Untitled, Mosaic) and some of the music venues ( Roxy, Viper Room)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In retrospect, there is no reason to believe that The Ides of March won't go over very big with the Foreign Press. We're not talking about it very seriously right now, but it could pick back up a lot of steam.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

mojoe92 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Melissa McCarthy is getting a big push, but I don't see it carrying over unless she starts picking up a lot of precursors. Shailene Woodley is getting quite a bit of buzz, and is on my prediction list right now. I have heard no one else mention Evan Rachel Wood in months, and she is dead in the water.
The Ides of March DVD's being sent out to SAG voters etc have Rachel in For Your Consideration packages for the Film. ( Among other wanna be nominations for the film) Plus there is some buzz among people talking here in LA. So my biggest guess right now is yes she is still getting buzz. The 3 biggest campaigning happening here in Hollywood right now for the category that I have come across is definitely Wood, Woodley, and McCarthy.
I thought i had been paying pretty close attention to the race thus far, as well as reaction to the movies in general. This kind of shocks me. I would think that the only possible nominees from The Ides of March would be Clooney or Gosling at this point. Wood was fine, but I think the only way she is nominated is if the movie is better liked than previously thought. You seem pretty certain she (and Woodley and McCarthy) are solidly in the race. Then again, it isn't a particularly strong year for the supporting actress category, so I guess it is conceivable. Maybe I should watch Ides of March a second time.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Moejoe, are you an entertainment reporter?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Campaigning doesn't mean much of anything, though. The Ides of March is pretty much dead in the water, and if it picks up any steam, Evan Rachel Wood is pretty far down there.

Melissa McCarthy needs a lot of help to break through like Robert Downey Jr. did. Downey was a previous nominee, in a very risky role what had a lot of people talking. It was seen as a real piece of acting, whereas I think McCarthy is seen as a funny persona in a funny movie.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Melissa McCarthy needs Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder kind of buzz to make the Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Melissa McCarthy is getting a big push, but I don't see it carrying over unless she starts picking up a lot of precursors. Shailene Woodley is getting quite a bit of buzz, and is on my prediction list right now. I have heard no one else mention Evan Rachel Wood in months, and she is dead in the water.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Is Evan Rachel Wood really being touted for a nomination? I thought people had just about forgotten The Ides of March. I also don't remember her being singled out for so many raves that would elevate her to a nod from the Academy. I hear Janet McTeer, Carey Mulligan (either for Drive or Shame) and Octavia Spencer. I can see any or all of them making it but the three you mention are iffy I think. Maybe Woodley, if they loved The Descendants.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I've long been of the opinion that the screenplay categories should be split between drama and comedy rather than original and adapted, but the rest of the cateories are fine as they are.
It is so much more difficult to adapt a screenplay from previous material than it is to write a comedy. You're free to do as you please with a comedy "haha insert joke here" type stuff. With an adaptation, you're under constant pressure to not deviate from the story but not keep it all too entirely the same. Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman even made a movie about how difficult it is.

It's also nice to keep it between adapted and original because usually the non-Best Picture-winning one can be considered the runner-up.

I cringe at thinking of movies like Bridesmaids and The Hangover getting nominations. I literally cringe.
Bridesmaides deserves 2 nominations this year for sure. Supporting Actress for Melissa McCarthy and then Original Screenplay. Supporting Actress would be it's biggest win if it did as McCarthy is being hardcore campaigned right now. And currently has no big competition except from Shailene Woodley from The Descendants and Evan Rachel Wood from The Ides of March. All 3 are the biggest front runners currently. Open your mind a bit there bud. Drama's are not the only worthy films to call "actual films"
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

I have to agree with Apatow on this one. But here is the problem with it. You separate and make a category for Comedy. Then Horror films would have to have one, Comedy, Drama, Western, etc etc. There would be an outcry for each major genre. Granted there are Horror films and at least 1-2 each year that deserve Oscar recognition but don't and I do find that a turn off. But yes, in the long run, there should be a comedy section for sure
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greg wrote:
Dien wrote:It isn't very often one awes at the cinematography or editing of a comedy film.
There have been times when I have been at least somewhat awed by the editing of a comedy, mostly with the editing of slapstick scenes. Examples are the extended car chase in What's Up Doc? and the screwed-up dubbing in Singin' In The Rain.
Blake Edwards's comedies were always brilliantly edited. And so were Keaton's for that matter.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If you're talking about adaptations of books and plays you may have a point, but sequels also qualify as adaptations even though their plots are often far removed from the originals. On the other hand, films about public figures that are not from a previously published source are deemed to be originals even though the screenwriter is required to stick preety much to the facts.

Then there are adapttions where the screenwriter does indeed make changes, providing films made from novels with tragic endings into happily-ever after affairs.

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”