Honorary Oscars

For the films of 2011
Damien
Laureate

Re: Honorary Oscars

Post by Damien »

mlrg wrote:
On that note, Manoel de Oliveira is a pretty obvious choice. At 103 is the oldest living director working.
And maybe 4% of Academy members know who he is.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:There is always hope when the Academy chooses to recognize a reclusive figure like Jean-Luc Godard, someone they had little hope of enticing to attend their ceremony, and a prominent French figure at that, that they will be a little less Amero-centric in their choices in the future.
On that note, Manoel de Oliveira is a pretty obvious choice. At 103 is the oldest living director working.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There is always hope when the Academy chooses to recognize a reclusive figure like Jean-Luc Godard, someone they had little hope of enticing to attend their ceremony, and a prominent French figure at that, that they will be a little less Amero-centric in their choices in the future.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:The BAFTAs gave Christopher Lee a Lifetime Achievement Award this past year.
Well deserved of course, but then Lee is a National Institution in the U.K.

I doubt the Americans would be so inclined considering the actors winning Honorary awards at functions nowadays are the likes of Harrison Ford, Morgan Freeman etc......usually homegrown actors.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The BAFTAs gave Christopher Lee a Lifetime Achievement Award this past year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:Christopher Lee could be considered on longevity alone although his output has mostly been pretty schlocky with very brief appearances in Grade A films.
He should be considered as a tribute not only to him but all those great Monster Movie actors who were dismissed because they were in the horror genre. These last few decades have shown how difficult it is to create a memorable movie villian, and though the Academy has given awards to Anthony Hopkins and Heath Ledger genre performances are hardly ever even considered for awards.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

I didn't know they didn't gave postmortem Oscar's jeeze..
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:Meg Tilly and Margaret Avery should absolutely receive honorary Oscars. But not until Madeline Kahn and Montgomery Clift receive theirs.
Lol
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Meg Tilly and Margaret Avery should absolutely receive honorary Oscars. But not until Madeline Kahn and Montgomery Clift receive theirs.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Christopher Lee could be considered on longevity alone although his output has mostly been pretty schlocky with very brief appearances in Grade A films.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can comment.

The Acadmey is very stingy about giving out honorary Oscars and only awards them for what they consider explemplary work over the course of time.

I like Meg Tilly a lot and wish she would do more films, but I would not consider her for an honorary Oscar probably ever. She would have to come back and remain consistent over a long period in order to be considered for such an honor, as would just about everyone on this list except perhaps Liv Ullmann.

Margaret Avery has a long list of credits, but does anyone remember her from anything other then The Color Purple ? she was good in that, but she ain't no Whoopi or Oprah.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't really comment on either as I'm not familiar with Tilly's work and I don't remember Avery doing anything besides The Color Purple. Besides, as I understand it Avery went bat shit religious crazy and won't even admit her real age.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:The Academy does not give out honorary Oscars to dead people. They want to traipse them out before a global audience.
Wes you haven't commented whether Meg Tilly or Margaret Avery deserve Honorary Oscars.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy does not give out honorary Oscars to dead people. They want to traipse them out before a global audience.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sunday in the Park with George.................and everybody's favorite troll !!

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”