A Dangerous Method - Cronenberg's Latest Film

rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: A Dangerous Method - Cronenberg's Latest Film

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Okri wrote:Of the half dozen Hampton plays I'm familiar with, though, it's easily his worst. I'm curious but not holding my breath.
Interesting. Without giving away spoilers, could you elaborate? Is it a fundamental flaw in the entire story, or just some things that could be fixed for the movie? I would think Cronenberg is smart enough to know what should be changed to make a compelling film.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Okri
Tenured

Re: A Dangerous Method - Cronenberg's Latest Film

Post by Okri »

Of the half dozen Hampton plays I'm familiar with, though, it's easily his worst. I'm curious but not holding my breath.
rolotomasi99
Professor

A Dangerous Method - Cronenberg's Latest Film

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The trailer for A DANGEROUS METHOD is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQzFkMCIhh4

It looks like this film could finally be the breakthrough for David Cronenberg to earn an Oscar nomination. I was really surprised when he was not nominated for an odd-man-out director Oscar for A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE. Cronenberg's interest in extreme sexuality and ultra violence was never fully appreciated by the Academy, but I think telling the story of Freud and Jung is absolutely perfect for him. Oscar winner Christopher Hampton (DANGEROUS LIAISONS) adapts his own stage play for the screen. The film has some top notch actors with Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightley, Vincent Cassel, and the hot new thing Michael Fassbender.

Prior to seeing the trailer, I assumed Mortensen was the focus with Fassbender as supporting, but the trailer seems to really being focusing on Fassbender and Knightley getting sexy together. Much like DANGEROUS LIAISONS, the sexual battle-of-the-wills aspect seems very smart and could keep this from being a more dry version of KINSEY. In fact, the trailer seems to be going for a BLACK SWAN type vibe, with Cassel there to play the villain again.

If the film is as good as it looks, it could earn nominations for Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, Fassbender (lead), with a possible supporting nomination from one or two of the others -- Mortensen, Knightley, Cassel, or newcomer Sarah Gadon. Costumes and score nominations are possible if the Academy really loves it.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “2011”