Categories One-by-One: Best Film Editing

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUMu-GfHtw

Here is a great break down of the editing in the five nominated films from the Official Oscar Youtube page.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I wouldn't be. I'm predicting The King's Speech based on centrifugal force.

Edited By Okri on 1298426370
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I would be so astonished if The Social Network lost this award.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:Boxing movies do extremely well in this category. Body and Soul, Rocky and Raging Bull all won. I'm predicting The Fighter.
But Million Dollar Baby didn't...probably because it, like The Fighter, was more focused on character scenes than ring choreography.

Social Network vs. Inception would have been an existential clash -- does the popcorn or serious movie prevail when both feature editing prowess? The omission of Inception leaves us with Social Network at war with itself. Its technical achievements -- the initial face-mash, the cross-cutting from depositions, even the Winklevi regatta -- are many. But does the films' fabled coolness make it film non grata for some voters?

The ACE award tells me it's going to hold on. I (largely) agree with Franz Ferdinand, though: if The King's Speech is named here, settle in with your favorite intoxicant; it'll be a long night.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

If King's Speech wins, we are going to see the first 12-Oscars night in history. The Social Network is the movie where you "notice" the editing without noticing it: it is seamless and perfect, balancing time jumps and different depositions, just masterful.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Boxing movies do extremely well in this category. Body and Soul, Rocky and Raging Bull all won. I'm predicting The Fighter.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Social Network by a mile.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

This is another category where I'm not sure which one to predict since almost obvious winner Inception isn't in the mix.

If The King's Speech wins this, it means the Academy definitely LOOOOOOVES it and will probably win most everything. I can see that as a possibility.

They could give it to ACE Eddie winner The Social Network, the most technically accomplished piece of editing here for its smooth transitions cross-cutting between time frames and kept the pace of the film breezy despite it being talky. It personally gets my vote but I don't know if that will fare well with the Academy.

127 Hours could win here on the basis of its flashiness despite the fact that it's essentially a one man show but I found the editing. But I personally thought Boyle and his editor overdid it a bit.

The Fighter has boxing scenes and Black Swan has crazy editing as well whcih could earn both a few votes.

I'm sticking with The Social Network for now though.

Edited By anonymous on 1298367174
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Black Swan
The Fighter
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network

Edited By anonymous on 1298367055

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”