Pete Hammond polls Oscar voters

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mike Kelly wrote:Speaking of Betty Garrett, she died yesterday.
Oh, no!
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Big Magilla wrote:I will say that I’m not voting for The Social Network. Good movie, but definitely not Best Picture. I’m so happy that it got shut out of the last few awards. Enough of certain organizations, like critics groups, trying to act cool and hip by voting for it. And besides, it peaked too early.”
Apart from being condescendingly presumptious of the motives of film critics groups, I wonder why someone would let such irrelevancies sway their decision?
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Speaking of Betty Garrett, she died yesterday.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm guessing Cara Williams, 85, is the one-time supporting actress nominee and Betty Garrett, 91, is her friend:

The One-time Supporting Oscar-nominated veteran actress in her 80s: “I definitely think the best picture of the year among those I’ve seen is The Social Network. Others like True Grit were good. But this one was Academy level. It has the quality you want in a Best Picture, don’t you think?”

Her actress friend, another longtime Academy member: “The King’s Speech all the way.”

The Younger Voter sounds like he or she drank Harvey's Kool-Aid:

Younger voter: “Not finalized with what I’m doing. Still need to see a handful of films based on the nominations and then I’ll make the call. I will say that I’m not voting for The Social Network. Good movie, but definitely not Best Picture. I’m so happy that it got shut out of the last few awards. Enough of certain organizations, like critics groups, trying to act cool and hip by voting for it. And besides, it peaked too early.”

The ex-Studio Head sounds like Sherry Lansing:

Former studio head: “I liked The King’s Speech. I don’t really get Inception. I have to say The Social Network is the film among the 10 nominees that I was most impressed with. My favorites were Fair Game and Barney’s Version, but since they weren’t nominated, it’s The Social Network. For Best Actress, definitely Annette Bening.”

I'd really like to know who this is:

Actress in her 50s: “I have to say I loved The Fighter. There wasn’t a bad performance and it was so unexpected. Also, sorry, but I don’t really get the Natalie Portman thing. I thought she was over the top in Black Swan. I did like Annette Bening but I am voting for Jennifer Lawrence who was remarkable in Winter’s Bone. There was a special, very authentic, quality to that performance that touched me.”
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Very interesting article.

I wonder who could they be. "Oscar nominated Supporting Actress in her 80's" voted for The Social Network while the Younger Voter wasn't impressed by it. Just goes to show you can't categorize these things easily.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”