Your Nominations Day Wish

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:
Reza wrote:Vanessa Redgrave in Letters to Juliet. She is wonderful in the film.
Oh well....at least I know she's on my list.
If she couldn't get in for Atonement, there was no way this was going to happen.
True.....but she made it onto my list for that too.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
If she couldn't get in for Atonement, there was no way this was going to happen.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I am. They've been posted on my site already...at least the ones announced live.
Oh, shit. By all means, erase my Nominations post if you wish.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I am. They've been posted on my site already...at least the ones announced live.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Um... I don't think Oscar Guy is here to post the nominations.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

One big wish -- Julianne Moore makes it!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I will see it soon.
Unlike you, little me hasn't got the audacity to forecast what your reaction is going to be. We'll have to wait and see.
:)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:I will see it soon.
Unlike you, little me hasn't got the audacity to forecast what your reaction is going to be. We'll have to wait and see.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

'Little Fockers' for the win!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I will see it soon.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:I haven't seen Letters to Juliet yet, but it's true that, even for a non-sentimental like me, Redgrave's relationship with Franco Nero is quite touching. Even more because, honestly, from the beginning these two didn't seem to have anything in common, except maybe their politics - but Nero's communism was more a question of roots (he was born in Italy's most famously "red" area) and social backgound: he was communist like so many other factory workers in Italy are; unlike him, Redgrave came from an intellectual family and from a country where, frankly, being communist was close to heresy. So yes, they were, and are, both on the far left, but for completely different reasons. And what else? She was British, extremely talented, sophisticated, more charismatic than beautiful; he was Latin, not extremely expressive (though time and experience have made him a good actor today), intelligent but in an instinctive, almost rough way, and very, very handsome. An interesting couple and an interesting story.
Marco you should watch this film. Somehow the scenes between both Redgrave and Franco seem as if it's their own life story unfolding. The main plot is uninteresting and the two leads didn't interest me at all. Redgrave obviously took the part because it was set in Italy and her co-star was going to be her husband.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I haven't seen Letters to Juliet yet, but it's true that, even for a non-sentimental like me, Redgrave's relationship with Franco Nero is quite touching. Even more because, honestly, from the beginning these two didn't seem to have anything in common, except maybe their politics - but Nero's communism was more a question of roots (he was born in Italy's most famously "red" area) and social backgound: he was communist like so many other factory workers in Italy are; unlike him, Redgrave came from an intellectual family and from a country where, frankly, being communist was close to heresy. So yes, they were, and are, both on the far left, but for completely different reasons. And what else? She was British, extremely talented, sophisticated, more charismatic than beautiful; he was Latin, not extremely expressive (though time and experience have made him a good actor today), intelligent but in an instinctive, almost rough way, and very, very handsome. An interesting couple and an interesting story.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Vanessa Redgrave in Letters to Juliet. She is wonderful in the film.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:The main romantic triangle involving Amanda Seyfried, Christopher Egan and Gael Garcia Bernal is a bit formulaic, but not uninvolving. It's the subplot, however, that makes it interesting as it echoes Redgrave's real life romance with Franco Nero. Too bad they didn't tell their real life story, which would be even more fascinating.

The two became lovers on the set of Camelot, had a child 40 years ago and stayed together for some years, eventually drifting apart. They were reunited at Natasha Richardson's wedding to Liam Neeson when Natasha asked Franco to give her away. They married a few years ago when Vanessa was 69 and Franco was 65.

I have somewhat of a personal connection to the film in that one of the tourists on my recent trip to Italy had a letter to Juliet she brought from her nine year-old actress/singer granddaughter in Houston wanting to know if the boy she was in a play with was "the one". I read both the letter and the answer from the "friend" of Juliet who responded to her.
I give up and give in. I can't argue with such an astute reasoning. ;).

My wish is for Ruth Seen to be honored for her superb work in Another Year (as well as any kind of recognition for other aspect of this film) but I'll settle for the more (slightly, as it seems) realistically possible nod for Manville.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”